Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

off topic just a tad but i thought brown was very composed as well last night really looked as though he belonged out there. jeez it would have been very bleek out there if not for the younger ones giving us some high lights.

Super impressed with this lad, just the type of player I love.

Keeps his feet, cool under pressure, good disposal, works hard, natural footy brain, doesn't like to be beaten.

Unfortunately traits that most of our players don't have

Gun. Decision making is top notch and he's very very strong despite being so small. Can't believe he was a rookie, I know he's only small but he's shown so far that it's not going to be a problem.

Another Matt Rendell special.

(although he did pick Joyce and CEY before Rory, in the ND....At least he/we got Rory in the end.)

I rate the guy after seeing him play for the first time today. He has clean hands and move quickly and smoothly in heavy traffic and contested situations. I reckon he'd be great in the middle.

Yep, but not this year, please....let him settle and keep developing down back where he's killing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe how clean he is with the ball under pressure, and how he seems to know where everyone is around him. I read earlier today that the majority of his possessions were uncontested, for a small back to play on the quality of players he did and get as much of the ball uncontested as he did shows that he knows exactly when to duck off a player and when to stick onto them.

He just does not waste a possession. You can see the other players back there already trust him. He was the player they most often released a handball to knowing he would either lightning-pass it onto a free man, or have an effective kick.

He would have been close to our best yesterday, other than probably Lynch.

Yep, but not this year, please....let him settle and keep developing down back where he's killing it.

Not to mention, where we have a real need. I agree - settle them down there, and I say don't move him ever.

Between Laird and Brown we have two (and only two) quality small backs with pace and skills. They could both play in that position for the next 10+ years. We've got plenty of other young mid options in Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch, Smith, Kerridge, Wright, Lyons and Grigg, and even Douglas is only 26. Riley and Martin are still possibilities too. It would also free up Mackay (still not 25 yet) to play through the middle more.

Rather than taking our midfielders and trying to turn them into small/mid-sized backs, let's leave those two in that role for a while.

Amazing player, him and Crouch should be contenders for Rising Star of 2013.
Love Laird, rarely makes mistakes and gutsy (see his spoil in Freo game early on that stopped a Freo goal), rarely gets beaten. Him and Danger are my fav players (Laird even replaced my profile picture from Danger on my facebook account, but I digest). Looking forward to him and others in the future. KEEP HIM FFS.

Not to mention, where we have a real need. I agree - settle them down there, and I say don't move him ever.

Between Laird and Brown we have two (and only two) quality small backs with pace and skills. They could both play in that position for the next 10+ years. We've got plenty of other young mid options in Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch, Smith, Kerridge, Wright, Lyons and Grigg, and even Douglas is only 26. Riley and Martin are still possibilities too. It would also free up Mackay (still not 25 yet) to play through the middle more.

Rather than taking our midfielders and trying to turn them into small/mid-sized backs, let's leave those two in that role for a while.
This x 1000

Laird and Brown could be rocks of our defence for a decade. Neither strike me as having the pace/flash to be outstanding midfielders but they do look like they could be outstanding defenders.

Smith on the other hand...

Absolutely. I don't understand why the moment we finally find ourselves two quality small defenders, every says "quick, put them in the middle". We need good small defenders. Who do people won't us to play back there? Jaensch? No thanks.

I'm sure someone answered it, but it is like 1am so meh

how exactly did he go as a rookie?

small. that is the only possible reason.

has always been tough, is quick, very clean with his possession and composed under pressure.

he's very small though, but that generalisation has definitely worked in our favour. if you're good enough, you're good enough, simple as that.

small. that is the only possible reason.

has always been tough, is quick, very clean with his possession and composed under pressure.

he's very small though, but that generalisation has definitely worked in our favour. if you're good enough, you're good enough, simple as that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I felt he came from a long way back late during his draft year. Was largely unheard of prior and didn't figure highly at U18s Champs. No one really knew too much about him.

A great pick up however, Tyson Edwards Mark II all the way. Will go a long way to helping us deal with pathetic Triggs sanctions...

Another round gone, still no rising star nomination. Really thought this would be the round. I wonder what this guy has to do to earn one...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back