Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide is currently offering supporters the opportunity to sign up as an AFL member for 2024 and get a ticket to their final men’s home game of this season – against Sydney this Saturday –for just $1.

membership ain’t what it used to be
Is it the membership that only costs $1?..

Or is it that if you join up as a new member and pay your membership for next year right now.. you can go to this weeks Sydney game for just $1?..

If its the former then essentially they are desperately trying to give away memberships at a loss to the club.. as the processing cost to simply create the new membership would cost far more than $1..

The Facebook posts have been soooo glowing that there must be some editing going on, even if the vibe from our fans is overall positive.

The only discerning voices seem to sneak through in replies to positive comments.
I made a comment on FB about how useless Sloane was against the Lions and some old lady told me that I shouldn't ever call our players useless.
I should've reminded her of Blight's pathetic Pitman call although I chose not to respond.

Sloane is massively popular. He's a former captain who stayed with the club when a lot of people expected him to leave, and was one of our better players at a recent time when the club had some success. The games where he was sub he got a massive cheer just for coming out on the field for the first time, which definitely does not happen for our other subs. He's also played every game this year and has not been as absolutely hopeless as the tone of posting on here would suggest, even if his performances have been poor at times. It's hardly surprising that ordinary fans of the club who aren't super engaged with things like list management would be excited that he re-signed for another year.

Sloane is massively popular. He's a former captain who stayed with the club when a lot of people expected him to leave, and was one of our better players at a recent time when the club had some success. The games where he was sub he got a massive cheer just for coming out on the field for the first time, which definitely does not happen for our other subs. He's also played every game this year and has not been as absolutely hopeless as the tone of posting on here would suggest, even if his performances have been poor at times. It's hardly surprising that ordinary fans of the club who aren't super engaged with things like list management would be excited that he re-signed for another year.
I was always under the impression that the cheering was because everyone thought he was on his retirement tour.

In any event, people are missing the point perhaps deliberately.

No one is claiming that re-signing Sloane will be the reason fans drop off. Of course that isn't it. No one player has that effect.

The reason why it's raised is because it's demonstrative of the core problem: that the club has precisely no killer or competitive instinct, is run as an old boys network, and is incapable of having real success.

Ive noticed this during his segment on 5AA. Every time he is asked a question he starts off with a long 'uuuummmmm' before he gives an answer. And his answers are often vague and non committal.

Which effectively means he hasn’t prepared. You would be fully aware of the questions likely to be asked, in fact some of these shows they even give you them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it the membership that only costs $1?..

Or is it that if you join up as a new member and pay your membership for next year right now.. you can go to this weeks Sydney game for just $1?..

If its the former then essentially they are desperately trying to give away memberships at a loss to the club.. as the processing cost to simply create the new membership would cost far more than $1..
Essentially the Sydney game is $1 but you have to sign up full price for a membership next year (3 game or full season). They're getting creative that's for sure.

I was just listening to MMM and Sloane was saying Burgess told him he’d be better next year as it always takes two years to come back properly from a knee recon.
If Sloane is prepared to embrace the sub role and also the travelling non-playing emergency role next season then he could have a positive impact.

Being sub sucks for young players

Travelling but not playing AND missing the SANFL game sucks for young players

If Rory selflessly mixes between these two roles to help the development of the squad and reduce the need for kids to fill these roles, then his retention could be a positive.

Pigs might fly of course.

From a club culture development, we consider these things largely beneath our lauded veterans. Remember D Mac's reaction to being made sub? Whinged and it then got lumped onto others.

I don't think that's the case tbh, fb comments seem to indicate everyone's happy. We're not on here but i can see where you're coming from
Personally hope Sloane doesn't play at all next year, we improve away performances and start working towards the success. Today made that harder
They're the rusted on cult members who think anything less than thinking every player is the best is blasphemy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back