Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sloane is prepared to embrace the sub role and also the travelling non-playing emergency role next season then he could have a positive impact.

Being sub sucks for young players

Travelling but not playing AND missing the SANFL game sucks for young players

If Rory selflessly mixes between these two roles to help the development of the squad and reduce the need for kids to fill these roles, then his retention could be a positive.
VERY good point above. I hadn't considered that, but then ...
Pigs might fly of course.
... I see you're not all that hopeful. :laughv1:

What makes you say that?
His recent statements are very self centred instead of team oriented and I highly doubt that attitude combined with a complete lack of self awareness are the right attitudes for a coach

Roo is good at building relationships, and has surrounded himself with helpful people post football, which he could do because he was a footballing star. If he didn't play footy he would be completely stuffed.

Edit: He is on Radio, an aural medium, with a voice like a sandwich press tumbling in a cement mixer.
Listen to Roo.
Listen to Nicks.

Coincidence, right? :sneaky:

Your comments is very cynical towards a board who has the club is a very strong position. Unless you have that chicken little syndrome where everything is rotten to the core without any justification or accountability for their comment.
Wtf?
images

Covid and the changing of the guard caused that. Nicks had a different plan to what Pyke had and was difficult to bed that down with lack of group training. We saw that from the infamous water bottle footage and some senior players not buying in
We finished that season strong and a full length year I don’t think we finish bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No, Burton did that, he burnt the place down.

Burton’s the main culprit, but thinking back, it seems like Pyke was almost as guilty

We had the perfect storm and Burton and Pyke were merely the final triggers. We had a poor culture of almost is good enough for a long time, players who were clearly soft mentally and a club who'd disconnected itself away from the playing group.

In the end we had a cancer that existed for near on two decades that was allowed to fester through an onslaught of poor decisions and it just all became a shit show.

For all our problems though back then, im not sure id want to trade it for West Coasts problems now. I think they are in a worse position than we ever were.

We had the perfect storm and Burton and Pyke were merely the final triggers. We had a poor culture of almost is good enough for a long time, players who were clearly soft mentally and a club who'd disconnected itself away from the playing group.

In the end we had a cancer that existed for near on two decades that was allowed to fester through an onslaught of poor decisions and it just all became a s**t show.

For all our problems though back then, im not sure id want to trade it for West Coasts problems now. I think they are in a worse position than we ever were.
Yeah 2018-19 was as dark for any club as I’ve seen in my lifetime

Current day Eagles beats it though, I know people say ‘the Eagles know how to tank and come out of it quickly’ but there’s no escaping this rebuild for at least 5 years

Yeah 2018-19 was as dark for any club as I’ve seen in my lifetime

Current day Eagles beats it though, I know people say ‘the Eagles know how to tank and come out of it quickly’ but there’s no escaping this rebuild for at least 5 years

They are probably where we were in 2019. They will be where we are now in 2026. The draft is designed to help and WC will get the opportunity like we did to draft some pure guns for the next few years. They will be back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are probably where we were in 2019. They will be where we are now in 2026. The draft is designed to help and WC will get the opportunity like we did to draft some pure guns for the next few years. They will be back.
They’ll be back, but not as nearly as quick as people think

Beyond Allen, Chesser, Hough and the guys they drafted last year, their young talent is non-existent

They’ll be back, but not as nearly as quick as people think

Beyond Allen, Chesser, Hough and the guys they drafted last year, their young talent is non-existent

They said the same thing about our players, all of whom, a majority is still on the list. Put 20- 40 games into the young players they have currently and they will probably be far better than we think.

I like Roo. I just hate his involvement at the club as he's an idiotic. Nothing personnel. Would love to have a beer with him and would tell him to his face that he's bad for the club. He was a great player and that's where his involvement should have ended.

This is what I don't get.

Roo is at the club but we actually know what decisions he has made recently or his actual role and really what it entails. Yes we know he employed Burton and most people just say thats the reason. It was also 7 years ago. But we don't really know what he does now really and what effects it has on the club today. So to claim he is some sort of a negative force on the club is really just guess work. Its also entirely disrespectful to everyone else involved in the club especially the board.

Really this just comes across that you just need a face to blame for our on field failures.

I wonder how Sloane reacted when he heard Pedlar this arvo on 5aa “he’s slowing down” “but he’s a great leader”.

Rory thinks he’s going to get quicker next year but….
Interesting hearing comments like that, maybe some of group aren't as excited about his contract extension as the club is making out.

Let's hope Dawson has another chat with Nicks to let him know Sloane isn't up to it next year when he starts to struggle again as by the sounds of it Nicks can't see it himself.

If Sloane is prepared to embrace the sub role and also the travelling non-playing emergency role next season then he could have a positive impact.

Being sub sucks for young players

Travelling but not playing AND missing the SANFL game sucks for young players

If Rory selflessly mixes between these two roles to help the development of the squad and reduce the need for kids to fill these roles, then his retention could be a positive.

Pigs might fly of course.

From a club culture development, we consider these things largely beneath our lauded veterans. Remember D Mac's reaction to being made sub? Whinged and it then got lumped onto others.
So kind of like an Assistant To The Travelling Secretary?

Hindsight is a glorious thing isn't it. So many people on here live on hindsight like they knew how bad someone was or others should have known before the bad happened.
You missed the sarcasm. Burton was a disaster at Brisbane and then only got the job here because of Roo. Roo was on MMM a few weeks before his appointment saying how both families went away together and Burton wanted to come home, then bang we move on Polous for Burton.

Then when we needed a footy boss the best candidate happens to already be at the club and is Roos best mate.

You missed the sarcasm. Burton was a disaster at Brisbane and then only got the job here because of Roo. Roo was on MMM a few weeks before his appointment saying how both families went away together and Burton wanted to come home, then bang we move on Polous for Burton.

Then when we needed a footy boss the best candidate happens to already be at the club and is Roos best mate.
Your right I missed it. Anyways, these arguments have been done to death so I have nothing new to add or to counter. Not even sure why he is bought up 4 years on.

Interesting hearing comments like that, maybe some of group aren't as excited about his contract extension as the club is making out.

Let's hope Dawson has another chat with Nicks to let him know Sloane isn't up to it next year when he starts to struggle again as by the sounds of it Nicks can't see it himself.
Pedlar was glowing about his leadership and getting a new contract but that could have been company line.

His first comment was the slowing down, Sloane would have hated that. But clearly the other players can see it, pity Nicks hasn’t

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back