Ross Lyon has quit the StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about it, this is by far the best thing to do.

Everyone is portraying Lyon as the bad guy. They don't need our CEO and President losing their shit over it for news to get out how shit a bloke Ross Lyon is.

They keep their cool, make nothing news worthy. And everything will be about Ross.
Exactly. We have the high ground in all this. It's nice to have the media treating us like that for a change. I say keep the high ground throughout this whole thing. Fremantle will lose BIG out of this, from a PR perspective.

Gotta say, I'm noticing more and more that Geelong posters appear to be among the most respectful on BigFooty. I hope they hurt Collingwood in GF.

Cheers for the support :thumbsu:

Cats fans know the feeling of losing a coach under suspect circumstances. Our club has demonstrated that it can work out. Even if we don't manage to get the flag this season, I think we've taken the right steps to set us up for the next decade (although another flag would be gravy).

I think the Saints will do the same. This one moment will unite your players, your staff and hopefully your supporters behind your club as you rally under a new coach that will lead your club into a new era...Best of luck Saints.

P.S. Recruit a coach that focuses more on developing skills/talents of players and attacks the game rather than Lyon's hold up opponents at all costs style :D Just leave the Geelong assistant coaches alone kthnxbi :p

Even Demetriou has criticised Lyon, from the CEO of the AFL this is quite savage.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ce-sacked-harvey/story-e6frf9jf-1226138146342

"I think people are entitled to ask questions about issues of commitment (and) integrity,"

"I'm not privy to all of the inside conversation … but we can probably read something into Craig Kelly in terminating their agreement."

"I think Craig and Elite Sport Properties are pretty honourable … so they were pretty surprised as well."

that if any coach expected commitment of their players and expected them to follow certain values … if they didn't act in same way, "it sort of reeks of hypocrisy".

Fair call, it will be very interesting how a coach like Lyon will be able to look any Freo player in the face and talk about loyality and commitment to their team mates or club without sounding like a hypocrit.

Freo have seriously rolled the dice with this massive call and it could very well blow up in their faces. Not sure how much the players were behind Harvey but the way he has just been kicked out the door and embarrased may make a few of their players stop and think about the integrity of the organisation that employs them.

In these times Saints fans you just got to remember the age old saying:

"If it doesn't kill you it makes you into a stronger man!"

Saints will bounce back and I simply can't wait for the Saints v Freo clashes over the next few seasons, AFL must schedule two games every year, massive interest and emotion on these future clashes now IMO.

As an Eagles fans nothing (other than winning a flag or two or course;)) would be more satisfying than to watch Freo's gambit fail misserably.:D

I always thought there might have been a clause added to Ross Lyons recent contract that if both parties agreed, he could walk ?

Really did saints shoot themselves in the foot ? Lyon did nothing wrong, Freo did with Mark Harvey

Now who will Saints headhunt ? Mark Harvey ? will Robert Harvey take over ?

Robert harvey interim coach ? for what ? they don't have a game. Yes I know the drafts & trade week are coming but trade week is 3+ weeks away

Robert harvey interim coach ? for what ? they don't have a game. Yes I know the drafts & trade week are coming but trade week is 3+ weeks away

Melbourne/Adelaide have been without a coach for 5+ weeks, same with Footscray. We're rebuilding so we're going to need a coach with a vision and cater our picks/trades around that, and getting a coach within 3 weeks is pretty unlikely

Anybody know if Freo will be holding a press conference displaying their new coach? If so, what time and will it be broadcasted online???

I always thought there might have been a clause added to Ross Lyons recent contract that if both parties agreed, he could walk ?

Really did saints shoot themselves in the foot ? Lyon did nothing wrong, Freo did with Mark Harvey

Not sure the saints will headhunt anyone in particular, thats more Freo's style.
Robert Harvey, dealing with media bullshit, any players involved with rape allegations, all the usual stuff. Some of us think he's the man to run the preseason as well.
3+ weeks isnt long, I doubt that we'll have another coach by then, but I'm pretty confident the staff we have at StKilda can handle the trading and drafting.

The exit clause is 3 months notice. I would expect the Saints to make a request for compensation (Lyon should be able to afford it).

Players are still at the club and need both the guidance on how the club is going to move this issue forward and also expectations for during their break. You need to ensure someone is ultimately responsible.

anyone got a link to the Ross Lyin press conference?

Presser (via The Australian).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ove-to-fremantle/story-e6frg7mf-1226139074552#

Got pretty fidgety in the chair when the "L" word came up!

Does need some latin lessons (as another poster said).

should either merge the two threads or if further queries for press release info should probably be made over there (7Two Freo presser thread) instead of here.

G'day brothers. I've just arrived back from Munich this morning. I got on the plane on Tuesday night, thinking Ross had confirmed he would be around in 2012. What has developed since is just unbelievable. I may not have read up on everything yet, but my thoughts so far.

- My facebook post on Tuesday night lauding Ross as the anti Tom Scully was self trolling at its best.

- Freo have paid $7.5million for Ross yes, but isn't it actually costing them more in terms of also having to pay Harvey out for a year remaining on his contract? Regardless obscene coin.

- I would like Brendan McCartney added to the list of potentials. Gavin Brown also an option.

My main issue is simply the way it has panned out. Ross' speech after the 2009 GF about "unfinished business" and if you're not up for it, we'll move you on is pretty difficult to fathom when the coach has clearly decided he's not up for it. I also question as to why such a clause of this 3 months notice was even put into the contract in the first place. I guess I am most shocked at the way Lyon has gone about the process. To speak to Riewoldt about it in recovery after a serious op and talk to Lenny and Joey and that's it is pretty soft. He's really lost me there (not that he would care in the slightest). He would earn some points back if he had the cojones to attend the B and F and explain the the fans his decision, but I don't believe he does.

I guess deep down I'm also concerned that footy will come down to who has the most cash to offer whenever a player and now coach looks to test the market and people say it's only a game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am given to understand that St Kilda will not require Lyon to serve the 3 month notice. This is a mistake. Not that we should have him do anything, but he is still contacted for 3 months.

St Kilda is entitled to stop him doing anything whatsoever for Fremantle until the end of that 3 month period. We should get an injunction to stop him. Let Fremantle pay us say $300,000 plus if they wish to use him in the next 3 months.

If we had done this we could be assured that nobody would do this to us again. We have a contactual right, it should be used. Far too often, indeed every damn time we roll over when pushed. When is over 100 years of allowing others to push us around going to stop. :mad:

I am given to understand that St Kilda will not require Lyon to serve the 3 month notice. This is a mistake. Not that we should have him do anything, but he is still contacted for 3 months.

St Kilda is entitled to stop him doing anything whatsoever for Fremantle until the end of that 3 month period. We should get an injunction to stop him. Let Fremantle pay us say $300,000 plus if they wish to use him in the next 3 months.

If we had done this we could be assured that nobody would do this to us again. We have a contactual right, it should be used. Far too often, indeed every damn time we roll over when pushed. When is over 100 years of allowing others to push us around going to stop. :mad:

Nettlefold and Westaway both said that they don't want someone contracted at the club if they don't want to be here.

We have escaped this debacle with our heads above the shit - the media will have a field day if they even get a whiff of us coming off as the bad guys. This is the first time we have really looked like the ones who have been wronged, i say keep it that way

Why do you put a space before a question mark?

Nettlefold and Westaway both said that they don't want someone contracted at the club if they don't want to be here.

And I am suggesting that he does any work, but that we stop him working for Fremantle for three months

We have escaped this debacle with our heads above the shit - the media will have a field day if they even get a whiff of us coming off as the bad guys. This is the first time we have really looked like the ones who have been wronged, i say keep it that way

Good guys come last. Being the victim is not going to help win a grand final. No now not ever. In any event why would making him abide by his contract make us the villain.

If we held Ross to his contract, we'ld be left in limbo as well in terms of appointing a senior coach.

Not so. We appoint a coach, Lyon goes on gardening leave. I would prefer to have him sit in an office sorting paper clips but that is petty.

To win a grand final we need more money, this means sponsors & stopping the AFL raping us with the deal at jihad.

We will make a loss of some $1.5M this year & lose major sponsors. Something has to change or we will end up like Port. A pitiful relic of a once strong club sucking at the AFL teat & jumping at Vlads every wish.

There only long term way to succeed is to gain a hard edge so your brand is not poisoned by the vermin making things up to sell papers. St Kilda had a hard edge on the field, we need it off the field as well. The administration are soft pushovers, as long as the club remains soft, nothing that our players do will succeed. Almost is not good enough!

And I am suggesting that he does any work, but that we stop him working for Fremantle for three months

Good guys come last. Being the victim is not going to help win a grand final. No now not ever. In any event why would making him abide by his contract make us the villain.

Not so. We appoint a coach, Lyon goes on gardening leave. I would prefer to have him sit in an office sorting paper clips but that is petty.

To win a grand final we need more money, this means sponsors & stopping the AFL raping us with the deal at jihad.

We will make a loss of some $1.5M this year & lose major sponsors. Something has to change or we will end up like Port. A pitiful relic of a once strong club sucking at the AFL teat & jumping at Vlads every wish.

There only long term way to succeed is to gain a hard edge so your brand is not poisoned by the vermin making things up to sell papers. St Kilda had a hard edge on the field, we need it off the field as well. The administration are soft pushovers, as long as the club remains soft, nothing that our players do will succeed. Almost is not good enough!

I totally agree, unfortunately. Seriously worried about St Kilda's future due to our administrations choices

I've changed my tune on this (now I've calmed down a bit).

Makes no sense to pay a guy at least $150k (for the 3 months) out of spite. Waste of money that we don't have.

Best to move on quickly.

I've changed my tune on this (now I've calmed down a bit).

Makes no sense to pay a guy at least $150k (for the 3 months) out of spite. Waste of money that we don't have.

Best to move on quickly.

Fremantle could not afford to have him sitting at home for 3 months. They would be forced to buy us out. They are paying him something like $1.5M the first year, that is $125,000 a month. That is what we should ask for from them. But I would be willing to accept less. The final result, he leaves, we pay him nothing more, they pay us.:)

Look at the way people are talking about Fremantle now. Beside the distaste there is a lot of awe. Wow look at what these guys did, look out everybody. Fremantle have gained respect! We should gain some of that & some money as well.

Fremantle could not afford to have him sitting at home for 3 months.

But it's a complete distraction for us, a a time where we have to devote every spare second to finding a new coach, support team (Berbakov has left, who knows if there will be others), and then making final decisions for trade week (not much more than a couple of weeks away) and the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon has quit the StKilda Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back