Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to admit I never saw this upheaval coming. The trade period certainly was a bit of a downer, particularly the de Goey decision even though we all kinda knew he wasn't coming, but also the lack of any deals to improve our draft selections. It really felt like we were in for another few years of no man's land, the old chestnut "not bad enough to bottom out and not good enough to contend" fitting just like the previous seven years or so.

Never thought we'd see Ross back in the joint either. Add to that the undeniable romance of Lenny fricken Hayes and Robert goddamn Harvey and for the new season as a Saints supporter I feel like a kid early on Xmas day waiting to open his presents!
On the contrary, best trade period ever!!! (off field, anyway) ;)

I might be wrong but I think Ross also mentioned David Rath as someone he was keen to work with at the club. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into the hierarchy with Walsh on board.

Not sure what more you need but Lyon, Lethlean and Bassat have all categorically denied that anyone had spoken to Lyon prior to he decision to sack Ratten was made by the board.

In fact Walsh himself has said he had been in discussions with Ratten about plans for next year during the week leading up to the Board meeting.

Didn't need to be rocket scientist to figure out he was interested in coming back to coaching because of his previous interest in Carlton and the clear interest in Essendon.

To me there are 2 pivotal events. The reunion with Blake and the 09 side and Linsey Fox’s birthday cruise. I reckon those 2 events got some aligning of the stars happening. “We are looking for someone with Ross Lyon qualities that isn’t Ross Lyon.”…….”how about Ross Lyon?”

The Giants have 15, 18 & 19. Id prefer an earlier pick inside 12 though.

From the interviews heard 2 thins. SOS won't be back, he loves qld.
And I am unsure whether he will correct players butchering of the football

I’m stoked to have Ross back , he’s just a character and a tough nut and is very knowledgeable and well spoken so makes for good viewing.

Love the way he doesn’t take shit from the media and his wit is sharp as a razor .

As far as a coach goes this is going to be a very interesting experiment so will watch on with interest.
I have no idea either way , but I reckon if it doesn’t happen in the next 2-3 years then Ross probably isn’t the guy for a rebuild.

Saints have been in the wilderness too long so I hope they achieve success but not before us because that would be embarrassing 😁

In the presser I thought he cactus up when talking about Walsh.

Pretty much said his appointment was pivotal in him taking the job. (One of his 4 pillars)

But Walsh was appointed an entire month before Ratten was sacked.

So this timeline only points to speaking way before Ratten even knew the axe was over his head.
I did not read or see it that way. He talked about having 4 pickers. Good ceo, good president good football boss and him.

Everyone gas stated that they did not talk to Ross before that Thursday night.
No need to look for conspiracies when they are not there.

I might be wrong but I think Ross also mentioned David Rath as someone he was keen to work with at the club. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into the hierarchy with Walsh on board.

Hah in the presser RTB said "he's a good strategy guy" so I reckon Rath will be pigeonholed into studying some metrics and doing some Xs and Os on the whiteboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've also mentioned trading up in the draft

I've mentioned a few times I would not be surprised if we did something like 9 and F1 for 4 and 22

Gives us 4, 22, 27, 32

You'd get 22 for the future 1st on its own. Don't think you'd get the upgrade as well.
Most teams value a future pick lower than its likely to be.

I did not read or see it that way. He talked about having 4 pickers. Good ceo, good president good football boss and him.

Everyone gas stated that they did not talk to Ross before that Thursday night.
No need to look for conspiracies when they are not there.
I was told and shared with a few that we approached Ross weeks ago.

The media clearly are of the belief it happened this way aswell - that’s why they keep asking.

I’d say that is far more likely a scenario as opposed to gutting your current coach in hope you land a better one.

Which seems a Hail Mary.

To me there are 2 pivotal events. The reunion with Blake and the 09 side and Linsey Fox’s birthday cruise. I reckon those 2 events got some aligning of the stars happening. “We are looking for someone with Ross Lyon qualities that isn’t Ross Lyon.”…….”how about Ross Lyon?”
My source tells me that Roo , Joey and Blake played a big part in getting Ross back to the club , also don't expect to hear from Ratts anytime soon as he wont be spilling the beans on anything to the media and he may end up at North with his old mate.

To me there are 2 pivotal events. The reunion with Blake and the 09 side and Linsey Fox’s birthday cruise. I reckon those 2 events got some aligning of the stars happening. ”We are looking for someone with Ross Lyon qualities that isn’t Ross Lyon.”……. “how about Ross Lyon?”

My source tells me that Roo , Joey and Blake played a big part in getting Ross back to the club , also don't expect to hear from Ratts anytime soon as he wont be spilling the beans on anything to the media and he may end up at North with his old mate.
Yeah sure

In the presser I thought he cactus up when talking about Walsh.

Pretty much said his appointment was pivotal in him taking the job. (One of his 4 pillars)

But Walsh was appointed an entire month before Ratten was sacked.

So this timeline only points to speaking way before Ratten even knew the axe was over his head.
I took that to mean that if we didn't have a reputable Head of Footy locked in, he wouldn't have considered the role. The fact that Walsh had been appointed meant that he was happy to.. ahem.. go through the process. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back