Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to hear Leathers during the Ratten exit presser. When asked something along the lines of “you/Bassett have admitted Ratten wasn’t given the best opportunity to succeed, given you where a major part of the team during that period does some of the blame lie with you?”. Leathers tone changed and he got very defensive and didn’t answer the question directly, he repeated dialogue from a previous question to get out of it (only backwards step of the presser). Granted he was in a super tough spot during the presser but I fell he knows he just made it out of the review. Also noted he is a good step more serious in the post review interviews like the one above.

It’s interesting, essentially he may have been promoted to keep a role with the club. But along with the other moves headed by Bassett, I think it’s a smart move putting Leathers in role he is suited to without caring what the public perception looks like. Bassett is a beast, we are in good hands.

After being basically confirmed by the media already, the Social media team was filming Robert Harvey on the RSEA Park turf in a Saints Polo.
Great news and awesome to see Ross bringing in his men already

Cotton Candy Baseball GIF

I don’t disagree.

But in Rattens sacking presser.

Bassat said they had the review for an entire month prior.

In yesterdays presser. They said there was only one man they truly wanted and went after in Ross.

So they effectively knew they wanted a new coach a month earlier around the time Walsh was appointed and they specifically only wanted a single coach who specifically needed someone of Walsh’s quality.

That’s the coincidence.

Unless the review said coaching lacks vision, blah, blah, get Ross Lyon, they would have spent the time between receiving the review and then actioning the recommendations think about what they were going to do, how they were going to do it. With the big decisions they've made and actioned, to do that within a month, no one is sitting around doing anything - the idea that they've sat on it, and not saying this exactly what you're saying, I find hard to believe.

All I keep thinking is that next years first (unless it is a top 3 pick)
Wont be more valuable then it is today.
Everyone has us falling by virtue of others improving.
If there is a kid we want and have identified. Make a move - be aggressive
Correct.
Like we just have been with the coach.

And, if it pans out that Nas goes home next season, as is a possibility, we'll get that #1 pick back.
Educated risk, imo.

You'd get 22 for the future 1st on its own. Don't think you'd get the upgrade as well.
Most teams value a future pick lower than its likely to be.
I've had discussions with Essendon fans that think it's a good deal for them

I highly doubt 22 would cost a future first

I agree most teams value a future lower than a present one, but it isn't just one future first, it's a F1 and pick 9

There's also a very good chance 22 will get chewed up in a bid for Davey Jnr

If Lyon and Lethean can align and focus their Ego's anything is possible.
I just hope they don't clash.
Nothing wrong with a bit of clashing.
We don't want yes men.

Reminded me of Big Poppa Pump - The Big Bad Booty Daddy has returned for all his freaks out there.

Could get away with this as the official presser - talks about Ratten's sacking initially and gives kudos to his freaks and hoochies. Finishes with calling out Chris Scott.

With Ross back I give us 141 & 2/3 % chance of winning the Premiership.

Interesting to hear Leathers during the Ratten exit presser. When asked something along the lines of “you/Bassett have admitted Ratten wasn’t given the best opportunity to succeed, given you where a major part of the team during that period does some of the blame lie with you?”. Leathers tone changed and he got very defensive and didn’t answer the question directly, he repeated dialogue from a previous question to get out of it (only backwards step of the presser). Granted he was in a super tough spot during the presser but I fell he knows he just made it out of the review. Also noted he is a good step more serious in the post review interviews like the one above.

It’s interesting, essentially he may have been promoted to keep a role with the club. But along with the other moves headed by Bassett, I think it’s a smart move putting Leathers in role he is suited to without caring what the public perception looks like. Bassett is a beast, we are in good hands.

I much prefer Lethers at arm's length from the footy department. He's ruthless and quick to make decisions but he has made a few bad calls when working in an area he hasn't had much experience with. I think Walsh, Lyon and Lethers look like a band of head kickers who'll all think big and make difficult calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've been pretty unfair on HC to be honest. I think to justify trading him we've bagged him publicly. It looks like he's covered the most kms in a lot of our matches so he's obviously not lazy. He's got some issues with focus outside footy but if he's anything like me there wasn't much to inspire you.

Perhaps he'll be one that gets the Ross love and becomes the player we have all dreamed of. It sounds as though the relationship breakdown was Ratts exit interviews insulting him for not doing more than they had asked of him and threatening to trade him.

Ross has man management skills that should make some really step up and understand expectation. I look forward to seeing what HC can do next year.

i think you're spot on as always mate.

I was told and shared with a few that we approached Ross weeks ago.

The media clearly are of the belief it happened this way aswell - that’s why they keep asking.

I’d say that is far more likely a scenario as opposed to gutting your current coach in hope you land a better one.

Which seems a Hail Mary.
If anyone honestly thinks that that the club (or more likely someone very close to the club - Roo?) did not do some premature work on sounding out Ross, then they are kidding themselves.
Kudos to the club for yet another time there have been no leaks.
Media may have guessed, but no one has absolute proof that it happened.

Actually think Ross played it beautifully with Carlton and Essendon, "putting it out there" that he was interested in coaching again. Doubt he would actually have gone to either club had push come to shove.

Honestly, I'd guess this started way before the end of season review. Didn't have to be Einstein to see which way we were heading in the second half of the season.

Well played!

Pretty happy with Jason Blake right now. His involvement in this might just trump his 2 Brownlow votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Back