Preview Round 1 – GWS Giants vs Essendon, Sunday 24th March 2019, Sydney Showground Stadium, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Welcome back everyone, for what is shaping to be a fascinating season for any number of reasons (and let’s hope they’re all the right ones).

It’s hard to ascertain what sort of year we’ll have, as we’re now quite a different team to our break-out season of 2016. In the latest round of charismatic departures, we’ve said goodbye to Shiel, Scully, and Lobb, a big loss of talent by any measure. We still have a strong core of players, but, little by little, that core is either ageing or dispersing to other clubs. I just hope we manage hang on to Coniglio and Kelly.

Another late Easter find us at home in Round 1 for the first time since 2014, when thunder and lightning descended on the assembled hordes, and we all enjoyed a melodramatic maiden win over Big Brother.

Our opponent this time is Essendon, and it’s the first outing for their prize recruit, Dylan Shiel, which just happens to be against his old club. Call it a dual duel, if you like.

I always thought Shiel was something of a talisman from our original intake all those years ago. A star amongst many, he always seemed the focus of speculation as to when he would leave, literally from the day he was drafted. As it was, we had him for a good seven years. I felt a bit torn when he left. He’ll always be a Giant to me, but there’s no doubt he’ll be out to make a good impression on his new club. Expect him to fire.

The big question is how we’ll cope without him. Someone will take his place, most likely Tim Taranto or Jacob Hopper, but whoever it is, they’ll need to show better judgement going forward than Dylan, and not just blaze away, which was his one big weakness.

The AFL did everyone a favour by limiting the pre-season to two “serious” games, but unfortunately for us, the steady drip of wear-and-tear has started already, with Callan Ward and Zac Langdon out until Rounds 4-5, and question marks lingering over the fitness of Josh Kelly and Jacob Hopper. On the bright side, Toby is in much better shape heading into this season, and Adam Tomlinson has recovered from his January calf injury. Nick Haynes should be back by Round 2.

I reckon we’ve got Shiel covered, but losing Ward is a real blow, as he’s very hard to replace, even if temporarily. We’ve got a promising crop of newcomers, with Jye Caldwell and Jackson Hately among the stand-outs, but they’re long term prospects, not short-term fixes. Others to watch as the year progresses are Ian Hill and Connor Idun.

As for the Bombers, they looked about as convincing against the Cats a couple of weeks ago as we did against the Crows. I wouldn’t let their average pre-season lull us into a false sense of security, as they accounted for us quite easily at home last year, and team memory doesn’t fade that quickly.

I actually find myself agreeing with one the posters on their board, that no-one can predict this game with even a small amount of confidence. At the very least, I’m hoping we get the season off to a winning start without injuries.

The club reckons we’ve got more than 20,000 members already, so let’s ring in 2019 with a big crowd and send those Bombers back to their hangar.

Let’s go Giants, let’s go!

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea what Spotless will look like?

Couple of years ago against the Suns in round 2 it was a construction zone for the show. Seats blocked off at the open end. Seats dont really matter I guess but the vibe was odd.

Longest offseason ever is almost over and the start of watching several games of footy a week starts, I am not sure if that is good or bad but hopefully we have some great games for the first weekend.
I see this game as 50/50 and not based on much as I dont think JLT means much in terms of the form of teams it is more players having a run and trying a few new things. A few things adding to the uncertainty of this game is Ward injured balances with Daniher missing but also not seeing Kelly in pre season means to me he will be rusty first game up and still a week to go but the forecast is for rain which isnt good for the crowd but again forecasters will change it 50 times before next sunday so hoping for a nice day for a good crowd.
My team for the game would be

Shaw Davis Buntine
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Tomlinson Kelly Whitfield
Greene Cameron Taranto
MDB HH Lloyd
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Perryman Reid Bonar

Emergencies/Others who could be named Keefe Flynn Daniels Caldwell

Without any news from the intraclub on Corr/Kelly/Hopper I am going with my feel on their availability which is no Corr but Hopper and Kelly to play (If kelly misses I cant see a win from this game). I see Perryman playing as a mid for this game so it will be interesting to see how he goes as he will need to step up with no Ward in the team and also Bonar will need to spend time in the midfield

Not sure on the Bombers team but missing Daniher will be big but there scoring strength is the small forwards Fantasia and AMT + Stringer so those I see as the important match ups in defence and then the run of Saad and Mckenna from their defensive 50

If Hopper doesn’t play I don’t think we win. With Ward already out our clearance and contested stuff will suffer. Our oldest mid will be Cogs at 25/26. Not many sides have that. Look at Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, Adelaide... all have at least one experienced mid in their group... imo it makes a big difference. Experience wins you a lot of games.

If Hopper doesn’t play I don’t think we win. With Ward already out our clearance and contested stuff will suffer. Our oldest mid will be Cogs at 25/26. Not many sides have that. Look at Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, Adelaide... all have at least one experienced mid in their group... imo it makes a big difference. Experience wins you a lot of games.
Hopper has just turned 22. Ward will certainly be missed. Given the amount of time Bonar spent as an in and under mud in the JLT I'm thinking he replaces Ward.

Cogs will be there to lead. We will be down Ward's leadership, and Shiel's as well though. If it's seen as a problem MDB could start in the midfield or be moved there if required. He is a leader.

With Daniels pushing, Lloyd looking good and Bonar having shown he can play forward we're ok forward I think

Hopper has just turned 22. Ward will certainly be missed. Given the amount of time Bonar spent as an in and under mud in the JLT I'm thinking he replaces Ward.

Cogs will be there to lead. We will be down Ward's leadership, and Shiel's as well though. If it's seen as a problem MDB could start in the midfield or be moved there if required. He is a leader.

With Daniels pushing, Lloyd looking good and Bonar having shown he can play forward we're ok forward I think
You don’t think the lack of experience in the middle will cost us games?

I did. Why do you respond that way to a reasonable question?
So you think putting DeBoer in the midfield will solve it?
I didn't understand where you were coming from since I hadn't said it wasn't.

How big a problem depends a bit on the dynamic between the players. How much Ward will be missed I am unsure, because I haven't seen us play without him for a long time.

If experience specifically is an issue the De Boer addresses that, and has shown he can play there.

I'm certainly not conceding we cant win the midfield, many teams would envy ours still though.

If Hopper is missing it would still be a chance we win but it would be small
I would like to see Deledio around the ball at stages of the season as I think he would be great as a in/out mid but it might be his body cannot perform that role

How much Ward will be missed I am unsure, because I haven't seen us play without him for a long time.

The Crows game a couple of weeks ago was the first time we've been without Ward since Round 23, 2014.

I believe he's only missed a total of five games for us since Round 1 in 2012, and holds the club record for most consecutive games at 156.

The player who sits behind Ward for most consecutive games, on 137, is....umm, a guy called Dylan Shiel...:anguished:

The Crows game a couple of weeks ago was the first time we've been without Ward since Round 23, 2014.

I believe he's only missed a total of five games for us since Round 1 in 2012, and holds the club record for most consecutive games at 156.

The player who sits behind Ward for most consecutive games, on 137, is....umm, a guy called Dylan Shiel...:anguished:
Ward and Hopper didn’t play against the crows, and we got smashed in clearances. I’m expecting a similar result against the bombers.

I had similar concerns going into finals last year without Heater and our backs were magnificent in the SF as I saw it from the Olympic Stand.

It's a worry for sure though.

Welcome back for the new season BTW.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind the intrusion.

I was listening to Cameron on SEN last week & he said Hopper had finally completed a full pre-season - is this right & what is his issue now?

On Kelly, is his groin playing up still or something different - what sort of pre-season has he had?

good luck v bombers.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion.

I was listening to Cameron on SEN last week & he said Hopper had finally completed a full pre-season - is this right & what is his issue now?

On Kelly, is his groin playing up still or something different - what sort of pre-season has he had?

good luck v bombers.
Hopper reportedly pulling up sore. With a strong pre-season I'm think we probably just put him away like William's for round 1. Bonar played midfuekd and likely the ciaches wanted a look at him and the draftees Hately and Caldwell.

Kelly had multiple surgeries post season and was aimed at round 1 from then. The clubs always said pre-season games were doubtful but he would play then. We'll find out Thursday. He has had a limited pre-season in any case and I dont exlect a stellar start.
That's fine to me if he us robust enough to build in to the season and be firing at the business end.

Ok I'm here with our favorite news. Track work.

Trains will not run between Lidcombe and Oly Park, instead get of at Strathfield.
There will also be trains running from Central via Strathfield through to Olympic Park.

Buses replace trains between;

Hornsby and North Sydney/Wynyard.

Please note trains are running to a changed timetable for this weekend so check the info at transportnsw.info

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Usual fantastic write-up LotG.

Our stated injury list:

GWS GIANTS
Nick Haynes (Back) — 1-2 weeks
Zac Langdon (Foot) — 4-5 weeks
Jon Patton (Knee) — 7-9 weeks
Callan Ward (Knee) — 4-5 weeks

None of Hopper, Kelly or Corr named on it - yet I'm pretty certain that all 3 won't be there come Sunday. Hopefully, Jacob & Josh are named come Thursday night and take their place - with those in we would have a chance, but still a big possibility of too many injuries/underdone players at the start of the year. Not much heard after the intraclub on the weekend, except today's article on Hopper's health troubles indicates he was OK after the game for round 1.

I expect the Bombers will look similar to this.

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Ridley Hurley Saad
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Smith Brown Stringer
McDonald-Tipungwuti McKernan Fantasia
Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
Langford Parish Myers Guelfi

No Daniher isn't really an issue for the Bombers, they tend to play OK (and sometimes better!) without him. Their small forwards are pretty dangerous, and our defenders will have to watch them very closely. We missed Zac's nippy defending last year, and he may get a job to keep McDonald-Tipungwuti quiet in attack and then counter-attack himself. I'd back Davis, the mobile Tomlinson & Sam Taylor to stack up against Brown, Stringer & (likely) McKernan. Interesting to see who the 7th defender is - I think we don't need Keeffe against that line up, and a more mobile player is needed. Will that be Buntine, though, or someone like Cumming who had a good JLT game and can transition into counter-attack? Or Perryman as a utility who can also do some hard yards in the middle in Cal Ward's absence? The other option is that Tommo is used forward, and Keeffe or Buntine gets a run - although that's a poorer defensive setup in my opinion. The other risk is that when we pull Tommo into ruck contests, our backline is undersized if we go for a medium back option such as Cumming or Perryman.

Our forward setup will be interesting. If Essendon plays the setup touted, it would have 4 tall defenders, and if we sit with just Jezza and HH, they could rotate defensive jobs on our talls - or alternatively our smalls could have a field day if the ball can be brought to ground. Greene, Lloyd (who I expect to make the team on the strength of his JLT form) and Daniels can all kick multiple goals. We've seen our attack be very effective with a smaller setup, if we kick smartly into the F50. Bonar playing some time up front with his leap and mobility could be an offensive weapon too, as well as taking time through the midfield.

I'd favour Lids to line up on a wing for some of the game, but rotating to both the back flank and forward flank at times. Lachie & Zac to swap places a times, and indeed both to line up on the HBF at some centre bounces. If both Josh & Jacob are fit to play, then Perryman is the interchange inside mid, unless he plays the utility back role; in which case there would be a spot for either Jye Caldwel or Jackson Hately to debut. Now that's a fascinating question, and if it happens you'd expect an announcement on Giants TV by Wednesday evening. I don't think we give a debut cheaply, but in Ward's absence if they consider Jye or Jackson could do a job, then I think Leon would say yes. Ultimately, I don't expect either to debut; and if so, it would likely be at the expense of Bonar, Perryman or Lloyd. I would note that neither Perryman nor Lloyd are particularly quick, so it's possible that we may opt for speed (particularly against the Bombers with Saad, McGrath, Tippa & McKenna as speedy types).

So, this is what I'm thinking:

Williams Taylor Kennedy
Shaw Davis Tomlinson
Whitfield Coniglio Deledio
Greene Cameron Kelly
Daniels Himmelberg De Boer
Simpson Hopper Taranto
Buntine Perryman Bonar Lloyd

... but definitely a chance that the match selectors see things very differently!

Last year's game we were behind for the whole game, then ran out of legs in the fourth quarter. Hopefully that doesn't happen this year, but certainly possible given our later pre-season start and the number of injuries we've had. I have to admit, I think this will be a struggle, but I hope that the boys prove me wrong and we start the season with a strong win.

I have no idea what to think about Sunday.

Am pumped for round 1 but really have no idea what to expect.

With Ward, Haynes and Core gone with what seems like an under done Greene, Kelly and Hopper it has me worried about going down with a whimper.

Has anyone heard anything about Zac?

Either way can't wait for Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back