List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

He averaged 5 disposals over 3 games. Woeful

If he plays like that come preseason, he's not going to get a gig. If he plays like he's shown he can play before last year, he probably will get a gig. Picking out a three game sample over a 100+ game career is laughable.

Only problem is:
we have so many talented players they wont be able to fit them all in at once

If he plays like that come preseason, he's not going to get a gig. If he plays like he's shown he can play before last year, he probably will get a gig. Picking out a three game sample over a 100+ game career is laughable.

Okay well 11 disposals and half a goal a game over his career is hardly any better. Your defence of a player who will not be in our best 22 is laughable

Okay well 11 disposals and half a goal a game over his career is hardly any better. Your defence of a player who will not be in our best 22 is laughable

In 2012-13 he averaged almost 2 goals a game. How many in our squad averaged more goals a game over that period?

FWIW I don't have him in my best 22 at this stage.

No, my defense of a process that plays out every year at every club for evaluating best 22 positions is apparently laughable. I'm not going to lose some sleep over whether McGuane is selected or not. Discarding a player because of stats is laughable but feel free to carry on doing so.

Played most of his career as a defender before being moved forward in the last couple of years. Could go a fair way for explaining the lack of possessions and goals. He wasn't a running half back racking up possessions, was a key back playing a shut down role.

I had hoped that McGuane would make an impact last season. He did show some promise at first. This year though, there's the question of how do we best develop our youngsters, and there are more relevant players in this conversation than there were last year :)

I'm having a hard time picking my 22, especially the forwards. I think having McGuane as a defensive forward will work quite well, since our strength is in our mozzie squad anyway. Maybe we could experiment with just having 2 talls forward (+ resting ruckman)? Then there's room for all of Zorko, Green, Taylor, and Bundy, Robinson, Mayes.... I get that Mayes was put down back last year to learn that side of the game, but he really should be forward this year. His skills are wasted otherwise.

My starting team for Round 1 barring form and fitness

B) Adcock Merrett Gardiner
HB) Rich clarke hanley
C)d beams rockliff aish
HF) mayes close zorko
F) green martin Staker
Rucks) burger, redden, robinson
Bech) christensen,mcstay,Taylor , C Beams

Half back/back pocket reserves ( harwood, cutler, golby ) These 3 all play a similar role. I think cutler would be worth starting over these 2 based on his physical attributes has more pace and a better kick.

Goose can play the defensive pillar if clarke or merrett lose form. Merret plays his best football down back and with patful gone we need to sure up that area. With him , clarke and Gardiner coming through the ranks its gives us 3 good talls and then you add in the adcock , hanley and rich. Using rich and hanley athalf back gets 2 of the best users of the footy in the team to start the attack from half back. Obvioulsy both will rotate through the midfield aswell.

Midfield greatest depth atm. With additions of beams , robinson and chritensen gives team mor flexibility but more competition for spots. Bewick, lester, c beams and nick robertson all fighting i out for a potential sub or bench spot here in my opinion.

Forwards is where it is most difficult to predict.With he form of martin as ruck the duties are going to be split a lot more between him and burger. Lions wont want to get too tall especialy in wet onditons so i would see either martin and burger rotating between ruck or deep forward. With close likley to get first at CHF. Staker dependng on fitness may play as 3rd tall athough leppitsh is a huge fan of mstay sothey may use him as the 3rd tall or as another option if they want a bit more height. I think Claye Beams will take his training and game to anoher level with his brother there , as he will be very aware that he is no certianlty to be in the top 22 playing with his brother whih is obvioulsy pretty big motivation for him. For the fist ime in a long time competition for spots is hot which should drive standards at training.

With such a good off-season recruitment wise, I thought I'd do my best 22 v2.0:

FB: R. Harwood - D. Merrett - J. Clarke
HB: J. Adcock - D. Gardiner - D. McStay - D. Rich +1
MF: S. Martin - T. Rockliff - P. Hanley
HF: D. Zorko - M. Close - A. Christensen
FF: J. Green - B. Staker - NA (+1 defence)
RU: M. Leuenberger - D. Beams - J. Redden
IC: S. Mayes - J. Aish - L. Taylor - SUB: M. Robinson

EMERG: N. Robertson - M. Paparone - C. Beams

Martin pinch hitting in the ruck. McStay pinch hitting up forward.

Hopes for 2015:

N. Robertson forces his way into Brisbane's best 22, not through injury, but because he takes the next step. He was really good in patches playing a tough role in his debut year. He's going to be a star.

M. Golby can start hitting targets by foot again. 2013 he looked to have all but sewn up a spot in defence, but something happened this year and he continually sprayed the ball and seemed to have lost all run and confidence. He missed about 5-6 games at the end of the year with a foot injury. My hope is that he was carrying it all year and that he is back to full fitness and 2013 form next year.

T. Cutler, I'd like to see a bit more of him next year. Whilst he didn't always get a lot of the ball, he looked really composed when he did. Really happy to see him extend his contract during the week. One for the future.

J. Freeman. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games early and even take Staker's spot towards the end of the year, his weakness last year was a lack of defensive pressure and probably didn't have the tank to get up the ground and back enough. Did his best work deep forward and showed he could take contested marks at the top level.

J. Bourke. Round 23 is a strange beast, you never know whether everyone is going at 100% or whether they are sub-consciously already on holidays or preparing for finals, but Bourke's one and only game last year was really strong, but I'd like to see him play maybe 5-10 games next year, just to see whether he can sustain that sort of effort. He could be a really good rookie list pick up.

R. Harwood can reduce the amount of turnovers next year. Has everything else going for him to cement his spot down back, except just turned it over too much last year. If he can get the skills up he's going to be a beauty.

FB: Adcock~Merrett~Gardiner
HB: Rich~Maguire~Hanley
C: Rockliff~Redden~D. Beams
HF: Staker~Christensen~Taylor
FF: Green~Freeman~Martin
Foll: Leuenberger~Aish~Zorko
Int: Clarke~Mayes~Robinson Sub: C. Beams

Emergency: McGuane~Robertson~Paparone

This took me a while to figure out but I think there could be quite a few changes to this list

Also with Cian Hanley, he probably won't get a game next year but where do you people think he will play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also with Cian Hanley, he probably won't get a game next year but where do you people think he will play
Considering he did his ACL late this year it's highly, highly doubtful he'd even be fit enough to get a game next season. Not exactly sure which role would suit him best, apparently he's a great distance runner but lacks the speed that Pearce has. I'm really excited about his future nonetheless. The Beams & Hanley Bros. could make quite the combo! :footy::thumbsu:

Considering he did his ACL late this year it's highly, highly doubtful he'd even be fit enough to get a game next season. Not exactly sure which role would suit him best, apparently he's a great distance runner but lacks the speed that Pearce has. I'm really excited about his future nonetheless. The Beams & Hanley Bros. could make quite the combo! :footy::thumbsu:
Yea. The future of the lions looks bright

I reckon we need to break it down a little more.

Four stay at home backs: Maguire, Clarke, Adcock, Gardiner

Four stay at home forwards: Staker, Close, McGuane, Green

Midfielders leaning to defence: Rich, Hanley, Cutler

Midfielders leaning forward: Mayes, Zorko, Taylor, Christensen

True insiders: Redden, D. Beams, Rockliff, Old Robbo

Rucks: Leuenberger, Martin

Fill in the extras as desired given assumed injury - many great options. Exciting times!

McGuane is better than we saw last year, Aish should grab a spot but a lot of the rest should be form based. Martin to rest on the wing, Leuey up forward. Golby, Harwood, Bewick, Paine will be interesting. Freeman to take a while. Young Robbo may press hard. Merrett to not play round one, takes the first free spot forward or back following injury.

edit: accidental half post

Last edited:
Probably going off topic but where do people think the lions will finish. I have them around 7-12 for next year. 2016-17 maybe start pushing for 4-6

McGuane is a decent 3rd tall who provides good defensive pressure when he doesn't have the ball. I still remember McGuane's game against us at the MCG curved us up with his pressure in the forward line and i think nailed 3 goals as well. Will be good if fit. Having said all that if Staker was fully fit i'd have him just ahead of McGuane but personally i think Staker might be done at AFL level due to his injury issues.

Probably going off topic but where do people think the lions will finish. I have them around 7-12 for next year. 2016-17 maybe start pushing for 4-6

You can make some kind of a call about next year.

We know our supply from midfield will very likely be better both on quality and quantity. That makes both the backline and the forward look better.

We're likely to get a better run with injuries - just a numbers thing there.

Maybe second year blues has a bigger overall effect on us since we have a few?

You'd hope Leppa game plan is gelling better with practice.

For me, that has us improving to the edge of the 8 next year - with a reasonable run.

But beyond that, I feel like it's a waste of time. You have your road maps. But unless we have a couple of recognised identified blue chip forwards, it doesn't matter. Midfield brute force will only get you so far.

The dogs have had so many fearsome midfield combos that didn't have the forward line support to kick a score. Where they finished is for trivia nerds.

We use to have a guy called Wayde Mills. 196cm played rugby, and one of the best runners at the club. Came to nothing. In two years Michael Close could be delisted as another Mills.

Or he could be on the Taylor Walker curve. Either is possible at this stage and which one it is may make the difference between us finishing 4th or 11th in 2016.

Freeman and McStay are the same sorts of questions.

his last 2 years at Richmond were injury affected and McGuane played about 10-12 games each as a forward and kick 18-22 goals each of those seasons (checked when we recruited him but can't be bothered double checking exact numbers now). so thats basically a 40 goal per season forward if he hit peek form and stays on the park.

to me key forward slots are a toss up. depends on existing kids development, depends on recruits, depends on injury returns (McGuane/Staker), depends on use of swingmen (Merritt, McStay), depends on use of 2nd ruckman and most importantly basically just depends who is training/playing well in the weeks leading into round 1.

We use to have a guy called Wayde Mills. 196cm played rugby, and one of the best runners at the club. Came to nothing. In two years Michael Close could be delisted as another Mills.

Or he could be on the Taylor Walker curve. Either is possible at this stage and which one it is may make the difference between us finishing 4th or 11th in 2016.

Freeman and McStay are the same sorts of questions.
Very good summary of Michael Close.

Similarly, if you look at the career of Joel Wilkinson of the GCSuns, you'll see that elite athletic ability does not guarantee success. He was the most athletic and strongest player at the GC when he was there, just didn't have the footy nous to make it. Close is very similar IMO, would love to see the "Taylor Walker curve" though, just don't think we will.

I think Freeman and McStay are in a different category though, both very good natural footy players (McStay more so). Freeman needs to work on defensive and 2nd efforts, but McStay just needs to keep doing what he's doing and improve naturally.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back