Preview Round 13 Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has previously been mentioned that we don't play well before the bye.
I just noticed we have lost our last 3 post bye games too.
R3 This year to the Pies. Early bye i know but it was still a bye for the team.
2023 Hawks
2022 Demons

We did win in 2021 by 23 points against the wooden spoon team Kangaroos

I believe the following may also get a year to see what they have.

Luke Beecken (R)
Darcy Craven (R)

Listening to Stephen Conole during the MSD, he mentioned at least one of them will be a slow burn. The other OOC players are known quantities and if they are not tearing up the VFL they'll be delisted.

The process sucks and so many good people have to leave, but it is what it is.
I think you're right and they will stick around. Craven is pretty raw, only played 3 games of WAFL seniors so surely he needs a bit of time.

It's important to remember that only spare senior list spots will count for the number of draft picks we can take in for bid matching. So cutting players from the rookie list is only useful if we have a player on the senior list we want to delist and re-rookie.

Leaving aside Berry and Zorko, of the remaining OOC senior list players, the only ones I can see sticking around are Michael, and perhaps Prior. We have too many small defenders to bother with Madden any longer, and Lyons is too slow now and should be behind Tunstill on the depth chart. Prior is at least versatile and has senior experience, so I'd be okay with giving him one more year to show something, but he can go either way.

So I can see us needing a maximum of two free spots on the rookie list to accommodate them, which can be freed up by delisting Joyce and Lane. Joyce has been unimpressive and Lane will have spent the maximum three years on the rookie list at the end of the year, and for mine, hasn't done enough to earn a senior list spot. However if we absolutely need Joyce for KPD depth then he can keep a place ahead of Prior.

Point is, there won't be any need to delist Beecken or Craven, and Ambrogio knew that before signing off on drafting three MSD players.

Last edited:
I think you're right and they will stick around. Craven is pretty raw, only played 3 games of WAFL seniors so surely he needs a bit of time.

It's important to remember that only spare senior list spots will count for the number of draft picks we can take in for bid matching. So cutting players from the rookie list is only useful if we have a player on the senior list we want to delist and re-rookie.

Leaving aside Berry and Zorko, of the remaining OOC senior list players, the only ones I can see sticking around are Michael, and perhaps Prior. We have too many small defenders to bother with Madden any longer, and Lyons is too slow now and should be behind Tunstill on the depth chart. Prior is at least versatile and has senior experience, so I'd be okay with giving him one more year to show something, but he can go either way.

So I can see us needing a maximum of two free spots on the rookie list to accommodate them, which can be freed up by delisting Joyce and Lane. Joyce has been unimpressive and Lane will have spent the maximum three years on the rookie list at the end of the year, and for mine, hasn't done enough to earn a senior list spot. However if we absolutely need Joyce for KPD depth then he can keep a place ahead of Prior.

Point is, there won't be any need to delist Beecken or Craven, and Ambrogio knew that before signing off on drafting three MSD players.
We drafted 3 rookies at the MSD. That means we need to delist three of our current rookies at the end of the season, to keep the new ones we just drafted.

Pretty sure both Brain and Reville are Cat B rookies, so they aren’t affected by the rookie shuffle.

McKenna is also on the rookie list, but is contracted for next year.

That leaves Lester, Lane and Joyce as out of contract rookies this year, who have to make way if we’re to keep all three rookies.

Lester can be upgraded to the senior list, after the National draft, if we want to keep him.

We just need to pass on our last National draft selection, to do this.

We drafted 3 rookies at the MSD. That means we need to delist three of our current rookies at the end of the season, to keep the new ones we just drafted.
Whoops, good catch.

That leaves Lester, Lane and Joyce as out of contract rookies this year, who have to make way if we’re to keep all three rookies.

Lester can be upgraded to the senior list, after the National draft, if we want to keep him.

We just need to pass on our last National draft selection, to do this.
Yeah Froggy should get another year or two before hanging it up. I guess that Lyons, Prior, Madden and Michael are all getting canned then, to free up four draft picks.

Anyone thinking 🤔 that we might struggle a bit this week with the new interpretation of holding the ball. Having not played a game yet and the doggies having already played a game and are typically a high handball team anyway, something that we are not.

Can just see us running ourselves into trouble quite a bit and panicking, creating turnovers or free kicks against.

Last edited:
Anyone thinking 🤔 that we might struggle a bit this week with the new interpretation of holding the ball. Having not played a game yet and the doggies having already played a game and are typically a high handball team anyway, something that we are not.

Can just see us running ourselves into trouble quite a bit and panicking, creating turnovers or free kicks against.
Dunkley and Treloar were talking about it on their Podcast yesterday, Adam said the difference was definitely noticeable and that he liked the new interpretation, he thought it made the game faster.

BTW it was a great Podcast this week, some nice banter re their clash this Friday night.

Yes. I think we are cooked. The fact we have been struggling to score from turnover will be exacerbated by the new rule interpretations.

We struggle in that circumstances normally so wouldnt surprise if we area panicked around the contest. Hopefully we can get our kicking game going to just control the ball by foot as much as possible.

Fages in his presser today saying Starcevich will come straight back in if he gets through training today.

Starcevich and Hipwood in... Ryan and ? out. Reville/McKenna/Answerth, Rayner??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose avoid Fagan's PC like the plague. Nightmare fuel
Fantasy Football GIF by The Challenge

Not a surprise but not sure dropping Sharp was the right move. Feel like we played better with his run for a full game. Reville and Rayner don't play enough game time and we have an excess back this week. Unless Wilmot or Answerth play higher up the ground
Dropping sharp is just showing fages doesn’t rate running in our side
Expect more dump kicking around the park as a result.
Of course Rayner gets another gig
Just pathetic
What will it take to change the status quo

Dropping sharp is just showing fages doesn’t rate running in our side
Expect more dump kicking around the park as a result.
Of course Rayner gets another gig
Just pathetic
What will it take to change the status quo
Leo Dicaprio Shrug GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back