Hanley D.Beams Zorko
Mayes Close Christensen
Green Martin McStay
Luey Redden Rockcliff

Bench: Aish, Robinson, Taylor, Staker.

Sub: Luke.M

Last edited:
Very good summary of Michael Close.

Similarly, if you look at the career of Joel Wilkinson of the GCSuns, you'll see that elite athletic ability does not guarantee success. He was the most athletic and strongest player at the GC when he was there, just didn't have the footy nous to make it. Close is very similar IMO, would love to see the "Taylor Walker curve" though, just don't think we will.

I think Freeman and McStay are in a different category though, both very good natural footy players (McStay more so). Freeman needs to work on defensive and 2nd efforts, but McStay just needs to keep doing what he's doing and improve naturally.

Mills had a serious kicking deficiency and didn't play as tall as he was. Plus he was feeding around the edges of Jon Brown. Close doesn't have those problems. I was more making the point that Mills and Cameron Mooney look almost the same at game 10.

I think at this stage Close is more likely to make it to 100 games than Freeman. He may well end up our as our best CHB.
Almost all big athletic backs begin their careers as big athletic forwards -- the coach being the copybook example. Physically, Close is like Justin Clark with a much bigger tank. That is a useful resource at a footy club.

Being labelled as a 'pure forward' might be nice to hear, but at the moment it's harder to see Freeman becoming a backman or ruck as his career develops. So far he hasn't been amazing below his knees, so it means he's going to have to catch everything they kick to him.

He should have some silver service delivery, so he's going to get his chance.

Mills had a serious kicking deficiency and didn't play as tall as he was. Plus he was feeding around the edges of Jon Brown. Close doesn't have those problems. I was more making the point that Mills and Cameron Mooney look almost the same at game 10.

I think at this stage Close is more likely to make it to 100 games than Freeman. He may well end up our as our best CHB.
Almost all big athletic backs begin their careers as big athletic forwards -- the coach being the copybook example. Physically, Close is like Justin Clark with a much bigger tank. That is a useful resource at a footy club.

Being labelled as a 'pure forward' might be nice to hear, but at the moment it's harder to see Freeman becoming a backman or ruck as his career develops. So far he hasn't been amazing below his knees, so it means he's going to have to catch everything they kick to him.

Seriously underrating Freeman. Can take a pack mark, good on the lead, decent kick. Once he fills out he'll be a seriously good player.

Adcock Maguire Clarke
Hanley Merrett Rich
Mayes Beams Christensen
Zorko Martin Robinson
Green Staker Close
Leuey Rockliff Redden

McStay, Taylor, Aish, Bewick

Our defence needs to be settled and experienced next year. Injuries or Merrett moving forward should permit Darcy Gardiner to grab a spot as a KPD. Give him time to develop and boost his confidence playing on the best forwards in the NEAFL. McStay has versatility as a key forward, key back and running defender so he gets a spot on the bench.

Bewick is an underrated defensive running midfielder who I believe will have a breakout season next year. He thrives on being a sweeper at stoppages and an exit option out of defensive 50 (watch his game against the Bulldogs this year). Leppitsch has found his best position on the field, which was half the battle.

If Staker holds up, he will be fit and fresh for 2015. His experience and leading patterns is needed for our forward structure which relies on creating space for our mosquito fleet to swoop. Close will continue to ply his trade as a second lead up option who can take a defender out of the equation with his endurance.

Rich & Hanley will have stints in the midfield, rotating with Bewick & McStay for relieving duties. I think Adcock can simulate Patfull's role of playing on the most dangerous small forward and drifting off to be the lose man at a contest, he reads the ball well and can take a mark under pressure.

Martin & Leuey will rotate between Ruck & CHF to allow both to stay up the ground as an extra midfielder. To have them both as a target up forward will give us confidence kicking into our 50, allowing us to make quicker decisions rather than being unsure. If Martin & Leuey are both required to play a pure Ruck/Midfield role for the entire game, then either McStay or Merrett can relieve as the 3rd marking option inside our 50.

As for our midfield, it is pretty straight forward. Beams, Rockliff, Redden & Aish will be the inside play makers who can push forward whilst Mayes, Zorko, Christensen, Hanley & Rich will provide our outside run & carry. I can see Robinson doing a run with role on the oppositions best running defender, taking them out of the equation whilst reliving our best midfielders with a strong presence around the contest. He will also have enough speed to turn his defender inside out and double back as a forward option.

Green & Taylor will continue pestering opposition defence and will kick goals from turnovers/contests. Taylor should have one more year as a permanent small/half forward for he won't be required in the midfield. Maguire & Clarke to take the best tall forwards, Merrett will better serve the defenders by causing 50/50 contests further up field.

The above has explained a role for every player, so hopefully it justifies my selections.

Adcock Maguire Clarke
Hanley Merrett Rich
Mayes Beams Christensen
Zorko Martin Robinson
Green Staker Close
Leuey Rockliff Redden

Our defence needs to be settled and experienced next year. Injuries or Merrett moving forward should permit Darcy Gardiner to grab a spot as a KPD. Give him time to develop and boost his confidence playing on the best forwards in the NEAFL. McStay has versatility as a key forward, key back and running defender so he gets a spot on the bench.

Bewick is an underrated defensive running midfielder who I believe will have a breakout season next year. He thrives on being a sweeper at stoppages and an exit option out of defensive 50 (watch his game against the Bulldogs this year). Leppitsch has found his best position on the field, which was half the battle.

If Staker holds up, he will be fit and fresh for 2015. His experience and leading patterns is needed for our forward structure which relies on creating space for our mosquito fleet to swoop. Close will continue to ply his trade as a second lead up option who can take a defender out of the equation with his endurance.

Rich & Hanley will have stints in the midfield, rotating with Bewick & McStay for relieving duties. I think Adcock can simulate Patfull's role of playing on the most dangerous small forward and drifting off to be the lose man at a contest, he reads the ball well and can take a mark under pressure.

Martin & Leuey will rotate between Ruck & CHF to allow both to stay up the ground as an extra midfielder. To have them both as a target up forward will give us confidence kicking into our 50, allowing us to make quicker decisions rather than being unsure. If Martin & Leuey are both required to play a pure Ruck/Midfield role for the entire game, then either McStay or Merrett can relieve as the 3rd marking option inside our 50.

As for our midfield, it is pretty straight forward. Beams, Rockliff, Redden & Aish will be the inside play makers who can push forward whilst Mayes, Zorko, Christensen, Hanley & Rich will provide our outside run & carry. I can see Robinson doing a run with role on the oppositions best running defender, taking them out of the equation whilst reliving our best midfielders with a strong presence around the contest. He will also have enough speed to turn his defender inside out and double back as a forward option.

Green & Taylor will continue pestering opposition defence and will kick goals from turnovers/contests. Taylor should have one more year as a permanent small/half forward for he won't be required in the midfield. Maguire & Clarke to take the best tall forwards, Merrett will better serve the defenders by causing 50/50 contests further up field.

The above has explained a role for every player, so hopefully it justifies my selections.
I think Leppa said that Taylor's KPI's weren't necessarily goals a game but l feel he needs to get 1-2 goals a game next year and generally show improvement on from his 1st year.
I have a feeling that Aish is going to get 2nd year blues but Taylor won't.

I would still put Gardiner in the team as we need to fasttrack his development. I think l would still have Merret as a forward which would give us an area for Gardiner to slot in, leaving Clarke and Goose to tackle the monster forwards.
Hard to say whether it will be Stakes or McGuane as our 3rd forward, whoever impresses the most in the pre-season.

Bewick did look alright as that running defender last year but still a little inconsistent, went missing a bit. I, myself would prefer Cutler there.

Imo, l think Lester will find it very difficult to get into the seniors now as he is behind all the other midfielders. He hasn't improved as he should have. When Redden was injured for half the season, he should have taken that spot the entire time but he didn't quite grab it and had to be subbed. He needs to improve tank and DE.

I think Taylor's KPIs in his second year will revive around sticking a few more tackles. That was the main identifiable downside to his game this year. The more reward he gets for defensive effort he gets the better he is going to be both ways.

I think Taylor's KPIs in his second year will revive around sticking a few more tackles. That was the main identifiable downside to his game this year. The more reward he gets for defensive effort he gets the better he is going to be both ways.
He will need to work hard in the gym during this off season to achieve that goal.

Like this a lot. He does seem to lack a lot of footy nous, but if he had to follow someone to the ball, he is absolutely capable of making a contest and spoiling.
McStay forward, Close back. Very good idea. Ring Leppa now and let him know. ;)

With all the tips and ideas on this website all we need now is for leppa to hop on and read

Based on some interviews and such I am gonna have a crack at a round 1 team. Seeing as Merret has come out and stated he wants to be playing key back pretty much sorts out the majority of the KPP players. I think Mitch Robinson is also best 22.

Adcock Merret Gardiner

Hanley Clarke Rich

Mayes Rockliff Aish

M.Robinson Close Zorko

Green Freeman McStay

Foll: Martin Redden D.Beams

I/C Taylor, Christensen, Bewick, Leuy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adcock Maguire Clarke
Hanley Merrett Rich
Mayes Beams Christensen
Zorko Martin Robinson
Green Staker Close
Leuey Rockliff Redden

A well thought out post - I cannot argue with your reasoning - I think the only thing that needs to be discussed now is a justification for those left out. I will try to hone in on your thinking but please correct/clarify for me if I'm out of sync.

Adcock Maguire Clarke
Hanley Merrett Rich
Mayes Beams Christensen
Zorko Martin Robinson
Green Paparone Close
Leuey Rockliff Redden

IN: Paparone
Out: Staker

Paparone - seems to be the toughest call, he has played 18 of the 22 games last year while Staker, who has only played 22 AFL games since [but not including] the 2010 season gets a gig? Sure age/maturity is one thing but not for me, especially for round one. happy to be corrected should Stakes have a blinder of a pre-season but don't see that happening.

Gardiner - only played 2 games less than Merrett last year, this really is a for now or for the future question. Happy to nod in agreement regarding your justification.

Harwood, Lester, CBeams, Cutler and to a lesser extent Golby are all depth/on the cusp. Injuries to the above team and these guys get a look in defensively. Of the Mids, I see NRobbo as first drop and then McGuane & Freeman fighting for the Close position - some might see this as a horses for courses selection depending on the make up of the opposition but for me I'd want stability. In all honesty I think it will depend on the game plan Leppa uses in 2015, who knows might ditch a three tall forward line and add in another bull at the gate from the likes of Harwood, Lester, CBeams, Cutler & NRobbo?

Lions best 22 for 2015 in IMO

FB: Clarke, Merrett, Gardiner
HB: Hanley, Maguire, Adcock
C: Rich , Redden, Christensen
HF Robinson, Martin, Zorko
FF: Green, McGuanne, Staker
Ruck: Leuenberger, Rockliff, D.Beams
Bench: Mayes, Taylor, Aish,
Sub: C.Beams

Unlucky to miss out:
Ruckman: West
Key Forward: Close
Key Back: McStay
forward-mid: Bewick
back-mid: Harwood
mid: Robertson

Stefan Martin will be a great addition to the forward line as he can start at center half forward and work his way into the midfield during passages of play and for rotations in the ruck.

Paparone - seems to be the toughest call, he has played 18 of the 22 games last year while Staker, who has only played 22 AFL games since [but not including] the 2010 season gets a gig? Sure age/maturity is one thing but not for me, especially for round one. happy to be corrected should Stakes have a blinder of a pre-season but don't see that happening.
I personally don't have those two guys in competition. IMO, one is a wingman who might spend time at half forward. The other is largely a KPP, albeit one that relies on athleticism and mobility more than height/strength. I could be wrong but I just don't see Paps as a true forward - to me, he's a wide running midfielder who happens to be 194cm.

Gardiner - only played 2 games less than Merrett last year, this really is a for now or for the future question. Happy to nod in agreement regarding your justification.

Yup. I am going into 2015 with a completely open mind about our tall defensive line up. I don't think any of them should be considered locks for round 1. I see them as a very even group and there's decent depth with Merrett likely to go back. Any combination of Clarke, Maguire, Merrett, Gardiner and McStay (and maybe Bourke?) is fine with me at the moment - I think pre-season form will define our early season defence.

Adcock - Merrett - Gardiner
Bewick - Clarke - Hanley
Rich - Redden - Christensen
Zorko - Close - Mayes
Taylor - Staker - Green
Luey - Rockliff - Beams

Robinson - Aish - Martin

Robertson

Is the sub scratched for 2015 ?

Adcock - Merrett - Gardiner
Bewick - Clarke - Hanley
Rich - Redden - Christensen
Zorko - Close - Mayes
Taylor - Staker - Green
Luey - Rockliff - Beams

Robinson - Aish - Martin

Robertson

Is the sub scratched for 2015 ?
Had a few liquid refreshments tonight with a mate and jumped on bf to catch up on the banter
Great to see the Big Sauce giving my young fella a vote for next year.
Can't wait for 2015. Going to get over a bit and bring a fee work mates over.
Like you blokes really excited for 3016 but not getting ahead of myself as 3 blokes as good as they may be is just a start not the complete answer.
Go lions!!!

You had to remind me just when I was getting excited about 3016!
Have just returned from 3016, pfft – over-rated/nothing has changed AND THE UMPS ARE STILL NOT PAYING INCORRECT DISPOSAL!;)

I personally don't have those two guys in competition. IMO, one is a wingman who might spend time at half forward. The other is largely a KPP, albeit one that relies on athleticism and mobility more than height/strength. I could be wrong but I just don't see Paps as a true forward - to me, he's a wide running midfielder who happens to be 194cm.

Sorry if I inferred Paps and Staker were of the same POB’s, more the style of player I’d be wanting. Sure when on-song Staker’s stats suggest he would be more value as a target with his better contested marks/possessions than Marco. You could also add his swingman capabilities to move into roles forward or back but I think McStay already has that role covered and personally, if I wanted another leading target I’d want Freeman learning that role ahead of playing Stakes.

I’d select Paparone ahead of both Staker and Freeman for exactly the high forward/wingman role you are suggesting not as a KPF – [damn team listing format is so out dated but the marketing types would never allow just the listing of a squad] – I think the days of stay at home KPF are well in the past and the endurance abilities our 2015 and beyond forwards of the likes of Paps, Close, Martin and even Robinson will be the direction of the next generation, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back