Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a throwback to the nineties when we frankly stunk for periods but showed heart to come back.

Kudos to the midfield brains who worked out where we were being roundly beaten and arrested a good bit of it.

Buildup to big boys mark and goal which was right infront of us massed ferals on level 3. Another throwback. Tiny pockets of hawks fans making a nuisance of themselves

First of all that was a great win and my favourite win I can remember, since the glory days! Great test of character we might not make the 8 but that will bond the boys.

I was very critical in the 2nd quarter the tv almost went out the window! Tom,Jom,Shiels got destroyed in the middle. They came back with fire and a huge 2nd half lead buy a mammoth effort from Tom.

The most pleasing was the fringe players Morrison and C.j really stood up all game and cemented a spot.

W.Day is a star he is pendlebury like bring Scrims in, Greaves whoever you can to get this guy up around the pill as much as his tank will permit.
I remember the win against St Kilda at Waverly. Came back from ten goals down that day.

Ceglar needs to go. He was absolutely awful.
Yeah sure, but who would replace him? He isn't a superstar, but he is the best we have.

Reeves isn't good enough yet, and we need to play two rucks in order to have some targets up forward.

Salty Bombre said:
This is the reason i no longer barrack for this football club. Nothing ever ******* changes. Never ever again will I renew my membership. fu** them.

This is a sample of some of the broken souls in their autopsy thread. I love that we’ve done this to them - makes this win even sweeter!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STAND,STAND,STAND! Are we going to have to hear the umpires say this for the rest of the year everytime someone takes a mark.

Well yes I think so as I believe that is the trigger point of when they have to actually go “statue”. Until the direction of stand they can still come in try to work their position to where they believe the mark is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

iu

Impey, Frost and Jiath (in order of talent) all love to break the lines. If our midfield can put pressure on the incoming, we might have something speical here; my only concern is the quality of their kicking. With Day in the back half, while he puts on some muscle, I can see Sicily up forward in 2021. Until Day came along, I thought Scrimshaw was the most talented of the bunch! We might have the foundation of something competitive here.
Frost is super quick these new rules should suit him

So glad obrien kicked the winner.
Tried his guts out while being manhandled most of the game. Every time he caused a spillage when he was outnumbered, none would help him.
Having him take that grab and kick the goal is just reward for being the only forward for a half who tried
He was good but I don’t agree with him being the only forward that tried. In the 2nd quarter we had about 3 inside 50s , it was the midfield that wasn’t trying.

Pretty good four points that...

Hells Bells is Will Day a player. He's already like a 100 game half back. I would legitimately relax a bit when they got the ball to him trying to exit the backline: "Phew, we'll be OK now".

CJ is a crazy one. I'm not sure we can even see his ceiling yet. If someone teaches him a reliable penetrating kick off the back of those piercing, line breaking runs - wow. Will give oppo coaches nightmares.

Given the first half was effectively Mitchell's pre season, how good was he once he got the cobwebs blown out? Properly elite.

Y'know, I've put my fair share of shit on Timmy in the past, but he was elite level courageous tonight. He just threw himself at every single arial contest tonight with reckless abandon. And almost every time he took massive impact. And he just got up and kept doing it, time and time again. And still had the energy and composure to fly for and kick the match winning goal. He must be so sore now.

One I've not seen mentioned is Frosty. I thought his second half intensity was pretty great. He wanted that win. He just worked up and back during that final quarter when everyone was gassed.

Many others were great too, especially in that defining 3rd - and I echo the thoughts offered by others.

On the flip side - not sure two dedicated ruckmen is the future. Makes us too slow over the ground and too imprecise with the ball. And despite double teaming Draper, I'm not convinced we won the position anyway. Although with the general ruckmanshippery nature of the modern game that's not especially relevant..

Great comeback. Special win. Bonding win.

So glad obrien kicked the winner.
Tried his guts out while being manhandled most of the game. Every time he caused a spillage when he was outnumbered, none would help him.
Having him take that grab and kick the goal is just reward for being the only forward for a half who tried

I think he had a frustrating first half but he just kept getting lined up to get smashed in contest after contest in the second half. And he was really hurting at some points.

Quite a few of our goals came after 2 Essendon defenders went up with him.

Puddy cats lose (tick)

Big feed of KFC (tick)

Big comeback win over the ejectors (BIG TICK)
Box Hill smacked the Bombres in the VFL practice match earlier today too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back