Preview Round 1, 2023: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 19th March, 4:40PM AEDT *PHILLIPOU, CAMINITI DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Dockers

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif
I didn't want to say anything but just when I thought his fan club got it they dragged me right back in.

Yeah very decent but unfortunately another player has come from nowhere and overtaken him in 3 weeks so that's a real head scratcher.
It's hard to imagine how a kid who played well in his first season when given a chance and 2yrs later , stronger and fitter can't get a game.
He should the football IQ to be a player , something not right , how a kid new to the club is getting a game ahead of him.

Yes but if he only has one trick to get a goal and brings nothing else to the party then he's not going to help the team win many games unless he can take 4 marks and kick 4 goals every week but unfortunately he's not Tony Lockett and this isn't the 80s.
He literally kicked a goal laying on his backside in the pre-season match.

He kicked a few on the run in 2021.

He's definitely more than a kick mark player

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's hard to imagine how a kid who played well in his first season when given a chance and 2yrs later , stronger and fitter can't get a game.
He should the football IQ to be a player , something not right , how a kid new to the club is getting a game ahead of him.
Not sure you can say it was a season, it was 4 games in junk time with our chances of being a contender in that year being pretty much shot. My view in those games was he got on the end of a few cheap goals which probably did him a disservice because they were probably as a result of the opposition not paying him much attention because they didn't have any intel on him.

If you have a look at the replays he was given a fair amount of space to run into hence many claiming he was a natural forward with great running patterns. But the competition would have reviewed those games and worked out it was pretty easy to take away his one wood. I recon he would have found the 2nd Tier comp a lot easier whereas it's so bloody hard to find space at AFL level with the players being so much fitter and capable of two way running and guarding space.

He literally kicked a goal laying on his backside in the pre-season match.

He kicked a few on the run in 2021.

He's definitely more than a kick mark player

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

he was laying on his backside, never a good look...but seriously, Caminiti has flown past him in 3 weeks so clearly he's got a mountain of work to do if he's going to grab his opportunity.

Not sure you can say it was a season, it was 4 games in junk time with our chances of being a contender in that year being pretty much shot. My view in those games was he got on the end of a few cheap goals which probably did him a disservice because they were probably as a result of the opposition not paying him much attention because they didn't have any intel on him.

If you have a look at the replays he was given a fair amount of space to run into hence many claiming he was a natural forward with great running patterns. But the competition would have reviewed those games and worked out it was pretty easy to take away his one wood. I recon he would have found the 2nd Tier comp a lot easier whereas it's so bloody hard to find space at AFL level with the players being so much fitter and capable of two way running and guarding space.
He actually looked like he was one of our fittest talls if not the most fittest this pre season.

He actually looked like he was one of our fittest talls if not the most fittest this pre season.
he definitely looks like he has improved his fitness and put on a few kegs, was one of his issues last year at AFL level, would blow up pretty quickly which is probably why he was incapable of 2nd efforts

The problem for Sharman re selection is that he was competing for the "third tall" position and the selectors have gone with Owens and Phillipou. Our selectors see the latter two as have a great futures.

The Hammer is more you true key forward type, and so he stopped any thought of Sharman ne used there. Ditto for Cordy as the other key forward, plus to be the ruck chop-out for Marshall.

If there was no Owens or Phillipou, then with no Membrey you may well have seen all of The Hammer, Cordy and Sharman playing.

Sharman is certainly a chance to be the sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem for Sharm re selection is that he was competing for the "third tall" position and the selectors have gone with Owens and Phillipou. Our selectors see the latter two as have a great futures.

The Hammer is more you true key forward type, and so he stopped any thought of Sharman ne used there. Ditto for Cordy as the other key forward, plus to be the ruck chop-out for Marshall.

If there was no Owens or Phillipou, then with no Membrey you may well have seen all of The Hammer, Cordy and Sharman playing.

I e got him at a 25% chance

The problem for Sharman re selection is that he was competing for the "third tall" position and the selectors have gone with Owens and Phillipou. Our selectors see the latter two as have a great futures.

Reckon he would be great on the wing ala Richo in the mid 90’s

Reckon he would be great on the wing ala Richo in the mid 90’s

Though it is not the 90's now. Wingmen need to do a lot more than how Richo played on the wing.

If you want to see how the modern wingman needs to play, you need just look at Wood. They need to be able to push back to help defence, while also being able to push forward. Plus you need a huge tank. You cannot just be a marking target.

I though Sharman looked ok when he played as a defender last year. But he is not going to displace Wilkie.

Just on wings. Personally I am hoping that Hill plays more the high half forward role, rather than pure wing. Hill makes me nervous whenever he has to push back into defence.

Last edited:
I recon Sharman would be great as a full forward ala Garry Abblett senior ala 90s but I've had a few too many so maybe I should go to bed....
Sit him in the goal square and tell him he can only leave it to make a lead. Sounds good to me.

The last thing I need to see this year is us get the ball back, and have nobody in our forward 50 to kick to. My #1 biggest pet peeve in all of football

Sit him in the goal square and tell him he can only leave it to make a lead. Sounds good to me.

The last thing I need to see this year is us get the ball back, and have nobody in our forward 50 to kick to. My #1 biggest pet peeve in all of football
That sounds like 17 other sides. You must push up when the ball is back of centre otherwise the back takes an uncontested mark if there is a turnover.

Though it is not the 90's now. Wingman need to do a lot more than how Richo played on the wing.

If you want to see how the modern wingman needs to play, you need just look at Wood. They need to be able to push back to help defence, while also being able to push forward. Plus you need a huge tank. You cannot just be a marking target.

I though Sharman looked ok when he played as a defender last year. But he is not going to displace Wilkie.

Just on wings. Personally I am hoping that Hill plays more the high half forward role, rather than pure wing. Hill makes me nervous whenever he has to push back into defence.

Meh, the game evolves and re-evolves.

Have quite enjoyed watching Bruce, Ratagulea and Rayner mixing it up in the back line so far in Round 1.

That sounds like 17 other sides. You must push up when the ball is back of centre otherwise the back takes an uncontested mark if there is a turnover.
I know I saw Gold Coast suffer the same fate tonight. If you can't win the ball with 17 blokes pushed forward and one fella in the goal square, you don't deserve to win that ball - or the game.

I know I saw Gold Coast suffer the same fate tonight. If you can't win the ball with 17 blokes pushed forward and one fella in the goal square, you don't deserve to win that ball - or the game.
Well they all do it though. Obviously stats show it’s better to push up than out tge back goals. We do it in C grade ammos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back