Women's Footy Round 1, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• [3] Breanna Koenen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [7] Ellie Hampson

• [11] Shanae Davison

• [13] Kate Lutkins

• [21] Courtney Hodder

• [28] Charlotte Mullins

• [31] Taylor Smith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We scored 1 point less than our inside 50's
We had the same number of inside 50's as North being 35 each but got thrashed.

Lots of improvement needed especially forward and defense.
Hopefully the ladies bounce back next game v Dees who defeated the Cats by 2 points.

Pre-game i thought we'd either squeak a narrow win or be well beaten. Our achilles heel always has been fast ball movement - when Melbourne beat us in the past few seasons it was in a similar way.

A few notes:
  • Lutsy - looked well off the pace. Was worried the game may have passed her by with so much time off and it looks that way.
  • The entire defence - our defensive press doesn't work when teams can run against us or when we're so clueless as to play in front when the oppo have a breeze behind them. They looked slow and panicky. As we've seen when the men, when the midfield aren't on top and the ball comes down quickly, most defenses will struggle.
  • Ally - hard working as always. What a champ!
  • Dawesy - love her tenacity, but for her to take the next step she needs to win the ball more often. Her disposal is pretty good, probably the best of the midfield, but it needs to happen more often.
  • Tay - a good game I thought and looked to be spending a lot of time in the ruck. Not huge numbers but I like her competetiveness. Actually, both girls looked to have improved their ruck craft.
  • Bre - my favourite, but where was she? Barely touched it.
  • Sophie - typical game. Ran hard, but too many banana kicks going forward.
  • The forwards - we're down a reliable option up forward. Dax can't do it all herself and the balance doesn't look right to me. Could just be the way the ball was coming down there though.

I only watched first half and had to do something, but the defense being slow and unorganized was glaring. Even in forward stoppage there were too many north players goalside and we were slow to react.

We looked a bit underprepared to be honest, there was no clean ball for us but North were hitting targets and overlap running really well. This is good in a shellshock kind of way, if North is going to be the benchmark this season then we've been given a lesson / homework in round 1.

We scored 1 point less than our inside 50's
We had the same number of inside 50's as North being 35 each but got thrashed.

Lots of improvement needed especially forward and defense.
Hopefully the ladies bounce back next game v Dees who defeated the Cats by 2 points.

Dees looked really good in their game vs Geelong. Lots of run and carry from them too. We have our work cutout to bounce back from today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy Round 1, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Back