Preview Round 1 - Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good mate. Completely on-topic as far as I am concerned. Always good to learn more about your opponent.

Good that you agree.

I see it as a positive, if you learn about the club your playing in the round ahead for that week only.

For example, Cooney's injury is important this week but irrelevant for next week in this board.

Great video Ginger, unfortunately discovering this board a lot later then a lot of posters here I haven't been able to witness one of your preview threads. Now I can say that I have and I loved it. Great video, good insight and plenty of cheek, well done!

This will be a good chance for Stef to kick some goals to, him and Brown will likely stretch the afforementioned Lakeless backline.

Will be interesting to see if in the situation we are leading at 3/4, how we go in the last as far as fitness. Do we keep the pedal down, or play it safe?

I'll more so be looking for Ace in this game. I think the dogs is one of the games where he can get a good match up and kick some goals as a 3rd tall. If all 3 of Brown/Martin/Ace are working well together and forcing 1v1 contests all round, our forward line will be very very dangerous. We've been pretty good at doing this over the NAB cup. Teams just can't afford to out and out play a 2nd defender on Brown now, they need to rely on someone leaving their man to get across and help, and if Martin and Ace lead to the right spots, they will make this very hard.

And yes, i realise i might have jinxed us by saying there is no reason why we shouldn't win this game, but that comment isn't said in arrogance. We are simply in good form, Dogs will be lower on the ladder than us. There is just no reason why we should lose it. I'm not saying it will be a GWS like slaughter, just that considering we are paying nearly $1.50 for a straight out win, it's pretty good odds for what should be a win. Boys will be confident going into this game.

Yep, we are a developing team and playing on a gun like Brown will be good for Roughy in the future, the coaching staff really rate Roughy in this position and expect him to play as a full forward later in his career, so he is developing down there.

Apologies to Lions for waffling on about Dogs on your board:)

Yup, this thread is for the match discussion, the Dogs are part of that match so there is nothing wrong with some Dogs discussion on here. Certainly not Lions only.

Great Pre-View. Can't wait for the game, I have to find a Hotel in area that shows AFL games. Thats hard when your in the Hunter Valley !

nice work.

Much wil depend on the mids that can use the ball offensively playing well for the dogs - we have plenty of diggers in the trench, but Coons, Griff, Higgins and Dal are going to have to all play and al play well for us to kick a winning score.

I think you guys will win, by how much is the question.

Watching Essendon last night disseminate Adelaide, put our very poor NAB cup game against them in perspective. We did beat Hawthorn by a point, with Franklin playing (Richmond beat them by a point with no Franklin), we were pipped at the line by Richmond and went down by 7 points, got smashed by Freo, but considering Cooney was the only experienced senior player, it was really the Williamstown Reserves that played, and we were in the game against Collingwood for a good part.

So to sum up, we have improved, we do have some good additions to the team in recycled players Lower, and Steven's who should both play. Our forward line is still our Achilles tendon, Gia played injured last year, and is looking good this year, Jones has improved a notch, and then it get's very thin. Brisbane has a very solid backline, which is one of the key strengths, Hanley will go to the next level, and the versatility of both Merrett and McGrath to go forward is another strength.

You guys have recruited well, we have another year to go to recruit and purge older players and the we should start to rise. Don't you just love the football cycle;)

I forgot to add that Murphy will most probably be playing in the forward line, now that Morris is back to marshal the back line. He is still a good player, and could kick a couple of goals.

Love it GG :thumbsu:

Love everything about the build up to round 1. The analysis of the match on all the footy shows, team sheets on Thursday, the Lions website back into it with all their content, more print and online media coverage. Not sure I've ever been more excited for a season to start.

I thnk it will be a lot closer than everyone thinks. First round games are played at a blistering pace and there are no mental scars and everyone is up and about. For the doggies they had a fairly decent start last year and played quite well in some games (Geelong at Etihad). They would have had another pre-season under McCartney, it is a home game for them and have showed a few things in pre-season. The old adage of beating those teams around you prior to those above you is also something to take into consideration adding the fact that we possibly should have a target on our backs after the success of the NAB cup.

However, there is a maturity within our group that is building and even though I think it will be a well fought contest it will take till the middle of the third quarter for our boys to pull away with their increased ability to run out games. I'm looking forward to the game like everyone else but can't wait to see them live against Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview Ginger - the video was amazing!

We've had lots of very positive press down here in Melbourne over the last week - so lets hope we can keep up the momentum! Shall be really interested to see how Ace goes this week and Patty K. Really looking forward to being there on Saturday. Go Lions!!

Going by preseason form we should be putting the Doggies to the sword but do they have another gear? The midfield battle will be good for 3/4 quarters but as they don't have much in the way of book ends they will drop off as all developing teams do (we know a bit about that). We hold the cards in this one I reckon.

That quick spread from the stoppages with run and carry and clean entry in the forward fifty is what we are looking for. We know the boys can do it now. No excuses.

Oh cool preview too GG.

Everything (apart from it being an away game) points to a comfortable Lions win. Even the away game is significantly mitigated by the fact that we have played a few games at Etihad and should be relatively familiar with the ground. We comfortably accounted for them in both games last year. Since then we have gained experience, while the Dogs have lost it, and our form in the pre-season has been much better. But... the form line for round one is less reliable than any other, so that adds a bit of unpredictability. My guess is a Lions victory by 30 - 80 points.

Lions to win this one by lots and lots and lots to the power of plenty!

We should be sitting pretty on top of the ladder after Rd.1

I think the aspect I'm most looking forward to over the first few rounds is seeing whether our exciting style of play holds up.

Particularly evident against the Pies and the Blues, it was a joy to watch our defenders stifle attacks time and again, and then just spear it straight down the middle by foot or by hand, over or through the press. We were only a touch of polish (Mayes...Polec...) away from seriously smashing teams.

Did it only work in the NAB cup because of a lack of intensity from our opponents, or because their defensive structures were being tinkered with? Will the boys drop their heads when they inevitably get stung on the rebound in the season proper? We're not likely to get supremely punished by the Dogs, or many of our first 5 opponents for that matter. So if the boys can keep their tails up, we could be in for a pretty entertaining year.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the ride. Welcome back footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back