Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Who were your top 5 players for the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Vlastuin was very good too. Only voted for 5 players but he was one who was very stiff to miss out.

Grigg looks like he's in for a good year
I loved Vlastuin's work tonight, need to check how many marks he took because he went back with the flight so often, kid will never die wondering

Loved basically everything that's been mentioned already.

Especially the way Griff stood up in the fwd line. Repeat that next week and Vickery is as good as gone.
My ony gripe with Griff was he appears to sort of become extremely lethargic at contests when the ball is loose on the ground. I know it's hard for big men to get down there but he doesn't try to stop any opponents from attacking the ball either.

Oh and I found out tonight that Kamdyn's dad is the owner of my local McDonalds here in Karratha. Have met him millions of times through local footy. Small world.

Hunt and K Mac very impressive. Both provided that run and carry on our offensive spread that we have been screaming out for but they also worked hard defensively laying a number of tackles each.

Vlas was very solid, reads the play so well.

I liked Morris up forward. He did exactly what I thought he would do, caused absolute havoc down there as soon as the ball hit the deck which caused turnovers, we just couldn't convert those chances.

Loved our composure later in the game, will be interesting to see what changes occur next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few observations:

- We've added to our midfield depth. With Hunt and McIntosh in there, and then Conca and Lennon missing as well, we have a brigade of about 10-12 decent onballers. Takes the pressure off our guns.
- Can't take too much out of the game, Carlton are a very ordinary side with a lot of spuds in their bottom 10.
- Griffiths does more than his stats. While he's pretty useless if the balls on the ground, he's great at making contests and presenting. A his long range bombs are useful is messing with the defence.
- Wtf is Newman playing. Just a bizarre selection from Hardwick.

Hunt and K Mac very impressive. Both provided that run and carry on our offensive spread that we have been screaming out for but they also worked hard defensively laying a number of tackles each.

Vlas was very solid, reads the play so well.

I liked Morris up forward. He did exactly what I thought he would do, caused absolute havoc down there as soon as the ball hit the deck which caused turnovers, we just couldn't convert those chances.

Loved our composure later in the game, will be interesting to see what changes occur next week.

I've been liking what Morris has been doing in the games I've seen him. great fwd pressure. And as far as changes go you'd be thinking Delidio out for someone. Astbury? Vickery (some help for Ivan)? Conca?

Kamdyn and Hunt both exceeded my expectations. Kamdyn ~ cos he was an unknown...and Hunt ~cos he looked to be in 2nd gear in the preseason matches I saw.

Other than Hunt, McIntosh and Rance I think the rest of the players were below their best.

Houli, Miles, Vlastuin, Riewoldt and Edwards didn't do it for you?

I was really surprised how well Grigg played and agree with Houli and JR ...but thought Miles was held and Vlastium & Edwards were solid but needed more over 4 qtrs.

I still can't believe we handed it to them without Deledio, Cotchin and Martin doing barely anything. That is probably my favourite thing about this match.

All in all, good start to the season (except for the very start of the match ironically). They have finally walked the walk and translated their hard work in the offseason into action

Oh, and the boys looked pretty fit. They literally looked like they could play another quarter at the end of the 4th quarter. That is another thing I was fairly impressed by.

Watched again .
I reckon it's the worst opposition we have played in a long time.
Just hope it doesn't lull the players into a false sense of security.

Watched again .
I reckon it's the worst opposition we have played in a long time.
Just hope it doesn't lull the players into a false sense of security.

It was a good win and a game we still would have lost many times in the past. But I do agree as good as I think we were it is hard to fully measure against what I consider a very shabby Carlton. Although I have seen shabby Carlton sides beat us many times in the past.

Even though it's the first of many games, opening the season is always hyped and it was nice to feel that pressure again. I stupidly forgot that I couldn't scan into the game as Carlton decided to take all the door for this year's game. Classic Blues. I was a little frustrated, and to make things worse I had just heard that Deledio got reported as I lined up to buy a general admission ticket, hearing the cheers echoing outside the MCG.

However, I don't give up, I run up to the Southern stand, take my seat, and I realise that I'm glad footy is back. But for some reason, I was comfortable even up until the second quarter. Usually I'd be pretty worried if Carlton got the jump on us.

But this season was different. I watched us play against North under the partially open roof a couple of weeks ago, and I genuinely thought Taylor Hunt and Kamdyn McIntosh showed a lot that game. Then just as I look up, Kamdyn misses his first set shot, after I said to my friends "It will be his first, he's our first gamer, I really rate the kid" He didn't miss poorly, I wasn't worried, he was already doing well. A moment later, he's crumbing Steve Morris' tap (I do like the Morris move up forward by the way, for a small broke, he brings the ball to ground and opposition defenders feel a lot of pressure when he's around) and then BAM! McIntosh smashes one in from 45m after accelerating away from Judd (Old man Judd, yes, but he still has decent wheels).

From that point on, I wasn't worried, I remembered that Riewoldt has had his first full preseason in a very long time. We never looked a chance at winning any clearances early on, but the defense was strong, Grimes swept up a lot (while missing the odd mark, I felt Grimes attacked a bit more, showed his ability to play on smaller opponents, and be a cool head under pressure), and of course the All Australian CHB Trossman was out-muscling every opponent (albeit, Jaksch and Jones hahaha) and kicking beautifully to situations that would be in our favour. In fact, I don't think Rance kicked a poor one all night. Also, will be glad to see Astbury in for Troy 'The aeroplane' Chaplin, after he recovers from the stingray. Chaplin.. I don't mind the guy, I just don't feel safe when he's near the ball for some reason.

Ellis looked like he was getting online again, and of course you see the blonde brigade of Ellis and Hunt take the reins while Cotch quietly gets under packs, and Lids ponders why he bothered bumping a Carlton player while simultaneously going about his business on the half-forward flank and deep up forward. I turned to one of my friends who came along, a Geelong supporter, "Gee, I like Hunt, thanks mate. Who knew he was a wingman?" All he could do was nod in agreement (He did look a little bitter).

I then turned my attention to our half-back boys, they looked alright, Vlastuin gives me some kind of weird comfort when he's near the vicinity of the ball, and Houli - Who I always critique for not having a right boot and thus needing to handball instead of swinging on his right - was setting up great chains with his play on's, receives, and his exquisite left boot. Remember the Bachar Houli of 2012? I think we were all a bit shocked to see him in the elite categories of Champion Data early last year, but looks like he might return to his best after being absent during our last two more successful years.

That excited, I look up again, I see Griffiths shrug a tackle after winning a hard ball, handball to Grigg of all people, we scored again. Again, I felt oddly comfortable, I was confident for some reason. I poke fun at Grigg and my mate who's a Richmond supporter has a laugh, we comment how we both felt okay about Griffiths being picked over Vickery. I watched the three tall structure trial closely in the NAB cup, we made the right call, Griffiths is showing a lot, and Jack is prime, Jack looks like he's doing it easy this year.

I then realise that I saw the number one running around, I was sort of shocked. I turned to my friend's, and laugh as I say "he's actually playing, the guy had heart surgery a few week's ago, considering, that's amazing." I then cast a thought to Ben Lennon, yeah he definitely should have played over Newman, but eh it didn't matter in the end, I was happy we had depth. I then see Curnow keep the ball in, only to be vice-gripped by the pincer-like grip of none other than the first gamer, the K-Mac Express, and caught holding the ball.

Chains of clean disposal, everywhere, Houli, Hunt, McIntosh, Ellis, all leading the way and linking up beautifully. The tackling pressure stifled the Blue's, and we were out classing them. I then see Grimes up on the half forward flank, he kicks it long to the forward pocket, Cotchin, after some classic time stopping wizard-like gather handballs to Jack and I'm very glad that football is back.

From then on, I sat back and enjoyed the game, no pressure, no worries, this year is different to the last couple. I turned to my mate, a fellow Richmond supporter, and I crown Carlton the team of "spuds that no one wants" before commending Judd on his immense ability. Gee, the old bloke can play.

Then, I see us quickly rebound out of defence - which was another thing we did a lot tonight that had me excited - and who else is legging down the wing of the MCG? The first gamer, Kamdyn McIntosh. "We love him", "Go son!" the Richmond faithful welcomed a new name to the weekly vocabulary. Who does he kick it to? Jack Riewoldt, the man who was giving me flashbacks to his 2010 season, a season where he plucked massive pack marks, took good marks on the lead, and kicked a truckload of goals.

It was a little worrying to see Lids go off early for Gordon, I never knew that Deledio had to be managed so tightly his whole career, I guess it's how he played all those games consecutively, and his output has still been of high standard. Then Gordon kicked it into the guy on the mark, but made up for it by slamming one home from 45.

Sam Lloyd loves a goal, Griffiths showed so much with his desperation to mark, and his cannon of a right boot was a joy to watch. Titch aka Mr. "Best Hands in the AFL" did his work quietly with Cotch tonight. Even Batchelor was super clean and out-marking beautifully, but man does he need to change that hairstyle, or he'll live by his last name.

Our trio of Deledio, Cotch and Martin didn't play poorly, but they didn't need to carry us. Deledio taking nice over heads, although his disposal hasn't been up to his usual lofty standards, he was a presence up forward. Each player did their trade mark moves, Cotchin attacked the ball hard, evaded, and bought space where there was none to be found. Martin stuck a hand through a couple of chests, snapped one along the ground off the left for a goal, and then used that bullish left and right boot of his to cut up the Blues. He was also under a lot of packs, and basically the reason we won a lot of the clearances after the first quarter.

I hope Lids only gets a week, wasn't a big deal in it, just a bit careless. Maybe he'll get Jack Ziebelled, touch wood.

Our stars will ease into the season, and we should fire this season, we look strong in most areas of the field. We played all right tonight, and we won it comfortably. Ivan also looked like a lumberjack with a beautiful mullet, the way he demolished that clown, Cameron Wood.

I'm glad footy is back, bring on the rest of the year.

TL;DR: Eat crap Blues supporters, McIntosh is my man crush, and no injuries, yay!
That was a lovely read.
The team feels very right for some reason.

Great win. Great crowd. Mcintosh looks awesome and Hunt fine pick up. I'd still go for the 3 tall forward set with Vick instead if Morris. We've never given this a chance for a period of more than 1 or 2 weeks in a row. No wonder we haven't got it working yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Back