Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Who were your top 5 players for the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot to mention Jack somehow..
Absolute legend and had me almost crying into my ale at the end there.
My son started footy training with the number 8 on his back tonight and I was proud to watch that post game interview with him.
I thought Channel 7 were desperately trying to milk the emotion from that one, and to be honest Riewoldt gave them very little. I think he was motivated to do well for a whole host of reasons - R1, delivering on expectations, joy of playing, inspired by teammates, leadership etc. His cousin's death was just another good reason but not overly conscious of it

Carlton supporters when they lose:

"both these teams are shit"

:D

Well, let's face it, you judge the quality of your performance by the quality of your opposition.

So if you beat Hawthorn you must be very good, and if you beat Carlton you must be shit.

Makes perfect sense.

No, wait... :p

So if Deledio gets rubbed out (hopefully just a max of 2), who comes in out of Conca Lennon Lambert?
Will Elton get another crack at Boyd?

I knew you would be gutless and close your banter thread.

Pretty shattered, to make matters worse i took docerthy out of my sc team after having him in all preseason at 4.30pm.

Well done on winning.

Faaaaaaaaaaaark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew you would be gutless and close your banter thread.

Pretty shattered, to make matters worse i took docerthy out of my sc team after having him in all preseason at 4.30pm.

Well done on winning.

Faaaaaaaaaaaark

Hahaha he scored 147, ouch. Tell me you have K Mac!

Hahaha he scored 147, ouch. Tell me you have K Mac!

Yeah I have him, he was very impressive.

I was logging on to put him on the ground when I started making trades....

So so so depressing

Watched the game after arriving home from work here in the UK. Managed to record the game when it was shown live and resist all temptations to see the score on the internet during my time at work. Very impressed with the win and lots of positives came out of the game.

Our back line looked awesome and we have developed a very good back 6. Rancey was in all Australian form and ably assisted by Chaplain to help shut down the key Carlton forwards. There was good drive from Bachelor, Grimes and Flossy and Houli smashed his opponent and played one of his games for the club.

Our lesser light midfielders shone and really pleased that we were not reliant on our bigger names. Taylor Hunt, Brandon Ellis and K Mac all in the better players. Sheds was elite and really impressed that Miles was solid around the clearances. I also like the performance pf Shaun Grigg and he looks set for a big season. A much better inside player.

I like the poise of Newy in the second quarter but I fear that the pace of the game is beyond him as he didn't feature much after that. He is actually the only player I have seen play live and need to get to Oz to enjoy what look likes to be the start of a golden period for the Tigers.

Benny Griffiths is definitely a 40 goals a year player now. He is also starting to blossom and Lloyd looks very dangerous when he gets near the ball. Morris tries hard and hope they keep playing him as a defensive forward. Jack clearly best on ground.

Maric got well on top and got us going around clearances. Our other big names were a bit quiter which is a good sign for weeks to come.

Top 5
Jack
K Mac
Hunt
Rancey
Houli

Watched the game after arriving home from work here in the UK. Managed to record the game when it was shown live and resist all temptations to see the score on the internet during my time at work. Very impressed with the win and lots of positives came out of the game.

Our back line looked awesome and we have developed a very good back 6. Rancey was in all Australian form and ably assisted by Chaplain to help shut down the key Carlton forwards. There was good drive from Bachelor, Grimes and Flossy and Houli smashed his opponent and played one of his games for the club.

Our lesser light midfielders shone and really pleased that we were not reliant on our bigger names. Taylor Hunt, Brandon Ellis and K Mac all in the better players. Sheds was elite and really impressed that Miles was solid around the clearances. I also like the performance pf Shaun Grigg and he looks set for a big season. A much better inside player.

I like the poise of Newy in the second quarter but I fear that the pace of the game is beyond him as he didn't feature much after that. He is actually the only player I have seen play live and need to get to Oz to enjoy what look likes to be the start of a golden period for the Tigers.

Benny Griffiths is definitely a 40 goals a year player now. He is also starting to blossom and Lloyd looks very dangerous when he gets near the ball. Morris tries hard and hope they keep playing him as a defensive forward. Jack clearly best on ground.

Maric got well on top and got us going around clearances. Our other big names were a bit quiter which is a good sign for weeks to come.

Top 5
Jack
K Mac
Hunt
Rancey
Houli

I was exactly the same GT2015, had to stop the urge to check online a few times, nor check my phone, as my Tiger loving family in Melbourne where warned not to text, but I wasnt sure they could resist. They didnt :D

Got to the endd of the 1st qtr and It was like dejavu all over again, whenever I catch up on a game, but the Tiges did us proud and smashed em from the 2nd qtr onwards.

Good to see us win without our Big Guns really firing.

I missed the first quarter but here are my thoughts on the last three.

Positives:
-Kamdyn. Wowee. In front of 83,000 on debut and he just torched Judd in a couple of 1 on 1's. Didn't panic at all. Reminds me of Isaac Smith.
-Edwards. Along with Kamdyn, he was the main catalyst in that 2nd quarter. So silky.
-Taylor Hunt is a solid battler.
-Alex Rance is just immense. He's holding our backline together on his own. No wonder we looked shithouse when he was injured last year.
-Griff is taking that next step.
-Jack Riewoldt was fantastic. He's leaping at the ball and outbodying opponents like he did back in 2010. Wrapped for him after what his family has been through. Good to see him kick some goals on Jamison for once.
-Sam Lloyd looks fitter. His footy smarts have always been good so fitness will always be the challenge with him. Looks to have taken steps forward.
-Miles just doin his thing.
-Grigg was actually useful.
-After they got up 44-21, we went on a 52-4 run. Absolute domination.
-Finally getting to enjoy a Carlton game without shitting my dacks and breaking furniture in the last 5 minutes. They never looked like coming back.
-Mick's imminent tantrum. At least he wont have trouble picturing them losing a game anymore.

Negatives:
-Grimey and Chaplin shit the bed completely. Need Astbury back ASAP and I hope Elton develops. I've been a fan of Grimey but he worried me tonight.
-I'm not sold on the Morris experiment.
-Newman. Everyone can see it. Everyone knows he's done. Please wake up and see it too Dimma before it costs us games.
-Deledio's report (and injury?). My brownlow smokey blew his chance in the first 10 seconds lol.
-Cotchin was poor but worked into the game.
-Essendon. Cheating ******* campaigners have ruined my enthusiasm for the season. Least pumped I've been for a season opener in a long time.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for Chappy. Sure he made some mistakes but he had a solid game for mine

Had a great view of the game last night from right behind the goals and carltons game plan was bleedingly obvious to everyone in our box they will get torn up trying to do that this season with such bad skills def bottom 4 material

Disappointing we still make stupid mistakes and were pretty sloppy at times but good to get a win and not let them have a nail biting comeback for once.

The highlight for me besides the obvious two new blokes was griff very rapidly cementing a permanent spot in the forward line at least he crashes packs and gets involved in the game and its great to watch him progress

Shane Edwards must be right up there in the list of 'Players Who Have The Most Valuable Possessions'. So many of his clearances are so quick, but bust the game wide open. He's been our secret weapon for a few years now - Mick gave it away in his press conference.
Yes - yes - yes.
Funny reading forums where other supporters reckon Sheds is a spud... (secret weapon is a very apt description)
His work in tight is elite... whatever way you measure it.
Dunno how many goal assists he had tonight but he seemed to be in the immediate previous chain of possessions for so many of our goals.
Didn't finish top 5 in our B&F for nothing last year.

Very, very important player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

75OjfKh.gif
Early days but where can i put some $$$$$,s on POTY?

Saw Brent Moloney at the game, was standing with the Grog squad by himself and having a good time. Made me think how it must suck to play at a minnow club like melbourne, he was a gun clearance mid and would of been a tiger favourite if he'd been with us. Nice guy. Though after the game the only spot free at the pisser was... you guessed it, next to Moloney, people kept point him out and it gave me stage fright, had to wait until he left. :oops:

I think the Blues might need to rethink having their "cheer" squad at the punt road end, as they could hardly be heard over the tigers behind them. Plus they got a massive send off while they were fleeing the defeat.

Henderson, lol. Rance had his evil way with him.

Chaplain was good, only lost that notable contest against Jones and would of halved the late one against jaksch if Rance hadn't taken them both out. Very noticable at the game how he can keep a track of our starting positions, and picks up forward movements very quickly. Dropping a very good leader for a very quiet player like Astbury just won't happen. Dave might win more contests but overall we would leak more goals, just most people wouldn't know why.

great game. hunt, mcintosh, ellis standouts.

on a side note, i felt the "fan experience" was turned up to 15 out of 10. music too loud, couldnt hear the bloke next to me. thankfully the blues scoreboard gimmick that was played after a goal didnt happen for quite a period of time :D

Clearly the on track doco affected us early as some posters insisted it would. :p The highlight of the match was not even at the g. It was on bigfooty here on our game day thread. The early melt was delicious with some saying it was season over a little bit prematurely. :D

What was really great about Rance last night was that when he was one out you just knew he was going to beat his man. No heart in your mouth stuff or shouting inside your head whilst you're sitting on the edge of your couch 'don't give away a free, don't let him mark it!'

Rance dominated and you could trust that he would.

- Vickery will struggle to make it back in to the best 22 .. Griffiths is a far more effective CHF
- Morris seems more at home as a defensive forward .. prefer him in the 50, lock it in son!
- Nicky V is always "haaaard" at the contest .. maturing nicely, like his style
- Rance won't leave .. he's just maximising the $$$$ he can get .. don't blame him
- Lids = 2 weeks, clumsy .. very clumsy
- K. McIntosh = 3 votes
- None of the kicking sideways, stop - start bull%=÷#£ ... direct footy through the corridor .. Some of the breaks through the Centre were very impressive

Things I noticed about the game...

That was the first time we have played Carlton in recent memory that we looked like we had superior fitness, we ran out the game so much better than they did. Didn't notice any of our players cramp up too.

Malthouse went with a hard tag on Cotchin, Martin, Ellis and Miles. One thing I really don't like about this is you are effectivly losing 4 players on your side who don't want to win the ball. So we really played 18 VS 14 on the field. I think that is a horrible game plan and, just shows what a rubbish team you must have if you can't trust them to win their own ball.

Not too concerned about the quiet games for Dusty, Cotchin and Miles no other coaches will tag all of our players they will come good don't worry about that. Depth is looking so much better and 2nd and 3rd tier players have taken a big step up.

Just stoked with the way we controlled the ball in the 2nd half and showed so much more composure than last year. And I truly believe we can play so much better than we did last night.

For the first time since I can remember I'm not overly worried about losing lids for 1 game, I think we can cover him.

Go Tigers!!!!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG - Thursday 7.20pm, 02/04/15

Back