Competitions Round 1 Lineup vs Fremantle - CLOSING TONIGHT!! 9.00pm. GET YOUR FINAL TEAMS IN BY THEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think Picken might be out of the best 22 by years end? I hate to say it cause I love him, but he seems like the one who is a little lost with Libba back.

I said the same thing after one of the PS games last year, so not risking saying it twice....

Having Repath in the team makes Boyd more dangerous, the two big marks Boyd took inside 50 he was able to run at the ball but if he's the only tall target it makes it much more predictable where the balls going. Even though Crameri wasn't a huge target he could still take a mark or provide a contest, but without him there needs to be another aerial option inside 50.
Couldn't agree more.

Ok.....so once again we had no genuine KP defender, so Hamling is a must to come in. Daniel is now in for sure, Jongy just didn't take his moments. Adams has a little something, but Biggs will play round 1 and so Morris will play KP. McLean will get a gig if Dicko is not fit. Played well today. Big Red and TB to hold down the key posts and TC to ruck if fit, Roughy is back up ATM.

Boyd Morris Biggs
Murphy Hamling Wood
Macrae Wallis JJ
Stringer TBoyd Dalhaus
Hunter Redpath Dickson

Campbell Bont Liber

Stevens, Suckling, Daniel, Picken

Last edited:
My final attempt at round 1 team after the nab games have concluded.

B: M Boyd Morris Wood
HB: Biggs Hamling Murphy
C: Suckling Wallis Macrae
HF: Dahl Stringer Hunter
F: Roughead T Boyd Dickson
Foll: Campbell Stevens Bont
Int: Picken Libba Daniel JJ
Emg: McLean Redpath Adams

Think Roughie gives us just as much as Red has this pre-season and i believe he adds much more versatility to our team. Still have concerns going with both Bont and Libba in round 1 as both are clearly underdone and will need more games to get to their top level but their class is to good not to play both. If Dicko isn't right to go then obviously Mclean is straight in he is the most unlucky to miss after a good pre-season. As for Hamling I personally would have collins in if he doesn't come up but would assume Adams would replace him as he is the better match up for Freo.

Think we will all realise just how important Crameri was to our team this year and how hard he is to replace as he and stringer together caused so many match up headaches for opposition teams as KPD wasn't agile enough for them and a smaller defender wasn't strong enough and good enough over head for them and most teams have one defender capable of playing on stringer/crameri types but not two

Our backline has 5 locks being Murphy, wood, Boyd, JJ and Morris. We then need another 2 who can Key Positions. Hamling is in and one of Adams, Roberts and Collins. I cannot see a place for Biggs as I would like to see koby provide some relief there if necessary.

The fwd line needs 2 KP players but I am not sold on red but I think he needs to be given ago. The other option is playing one of Roberts, Roughead and Adams as a swingman and not play Red and Morris and Hamling play as the talls. If Adams can swing fwd and rough play on a resting ruckman I may prefer that option. This way rough can provide backup in the backline, ruck and fwd line.

Boyd hamling Morris
Murphy Wood JJ
Macrea Wallis Hunter
Dickson stringer Stevens
Dahl Boyd Daniel

Campbell Bont Liba

Roughead Adams Picken suckling

The bench is big but the starting 18 is not. I would like to Macrae and Stevens to help out in the backline if required. However my preferred option is Redpath at the moment to Roughead but he does not provide all the options Roughead can provide.

Ok.....so once again we had no genuine KP defender, so Hamling is a must to come in. Daniel is now in for sure, Jongy just didn't take his moments. Adams has a little something, but Biggs will play round 1 and so Morris will play KP. McLean will get a gig if Dicko is not fit. Played well today. Big Red and TB to hold down the key posts and TC to ruck if fit, Roughy is back up ATM.

Boyd Morris Biggs
Murphy Hamling Wood
Macrae Wallis JJ
Stringer TBoyd Dalhaus
Hunter Redpath Dickson

Campbell Bont Liber

Stevens, Suckling, Daniel, Picken
In complete agreement.

Liked the look of Adams....good matchup for the hulking forwards like Cloke. Just don't want to see the ball in his hands. He has poor skills and very little poise.

I can confirm Tory Dickson has an abdominal strain, although should be fine for round 1. Also was told Joel Hamling pulled up sore from training and will be fine, although I did see him walking with an obvious limp which looked either like a calf or hammy (no strapping though) so not sure how truthful he was being on the Hamling info.

Also said there was no point risking Tom Campbell by putting him back on the field and it was "just a rolled ankle."
Brad Lynch's rolled ankle looked much worse than Campbell's but no news on the severity yet.

Just going to throw this out there...if he played well yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see the match committee select Hrovat. If we do in fact plan on limiting the centre bounce attendances of Libba and Bont, as we did yesterday, we could use another flanker that can rotate into the middle. Rat is more capable of winning the ball out of the middle than many of our other small/medium flankers.

It's not what I would do but it wouldn't surprise me.

Just going to throw this out there...if he played well yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see the match committee select Hrovat. If we do in fact plan on limiting the centre bounce attendances of Libba and Bont, as we did yesterday, we could use another flanker that can rotate into the middle. Rat is more capable of winning the ball out of the middle than many of our other small/medium flankers.

It's not what I would do but it wouldn't surprise me.
Bont and libber limted in centre bounces in a praccy makes sense. Let's see what happens home and away.

Bont and libber limted in centre bounces in a praccy makes sense. Let's see what happens home and away.
Bont had 10 centre bounce attendances, equal most for our side with Wallis. He just had a less than stellar game. He's not infallible. Coming off a limited pre-season. He'll probably be a bit slow off the blocks, but his 6/10 games, are still very, very good. Had more clearances than any other bulldog, but I thought his disposal was a bit off. Lovely goal though.

I can't understand how some people what to question Libbas round 1 spot to bring in players that arnt even close to his 50% output.

Complete waste of time having him run around for Footscray while VFL players run around in the seniors making error after error.

Also find it amusing that Rough was god awful against Melbourne and made mistakes all day against rubbish but Redoath does it against a better team and people want Rough back! The guy isn't up to it he is Cordy Mark2 unfortunately.

Pre season has shown me several things.

1 . If you close our inside ball movement down we at poor.
2 . On our day we will again be unstoppable.
3. Stagnating year possibly just make or miss finals.
4 . DESPERATELY need a ruckman.
5 . Midfield depth isn't as good as some think.
6 . Losing Crameri really going to hurt.
7 . More great signs for 2017 onwards
8 . Our goal kicking is still crap

Morris Adams Biggs
Murphy Hamling Wood
McRae Libba JJ
Suckling Redpath Stringer
Adcock Toyd Dahl

Campbell Bont Wallis

Hunter Moyd Picken Stevens

Dickson plays VFL to get a run in his legs round 1 only reason I haven't got him in. If they do play him Adcock or Hunter go out.

I'd still prefer Mino over Campbell but injury has made that call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont had 10 centre bounce attendances, equal most for our side with Wallis. He just had a less than stellar game. He's not infallible. Coming off a limited pre-season. He'll probably be a bit slow off the blocks, but his 6/10 games, are still very, very good. Had more clearances than any other bulldog, but I thought his disposal was a bit off. Lovely goal though.
Sorry, should have been clearer - Bont attended a lot more than Libba but it wasn't in the same role as last year. Started forward of the bounce and looked to get the quick handball receive a fair bit on my viewing. Neither were relied on to win the hard ball in the same way they have been in the past, which was more my point. Of course doesn't necessarily mean that's how it'll go in the season proper - just that if it is a few others are going to need to stand up.

I can't understand how some people what to question Libbas round 1 spot to bring in players that arnt even close to his 50% output.

Complete waste of time having him run around for Footscray while VFL players run around in the seniors making error after error.

Also find it amusing that Rough was god awful against Melbourne and made mistakes all day against rubbish but Redoath does it against a better team and people want Rough back! The guy isn't up to it he is Cordy Mark2 unfortunately.

Pre season has shown me several things.

1 . If you close our inside ball movement down we at poor.
2 . On our day we will again be unstoppable.
3. Stagnating year possibly just make or miss finals.
4 . DESPERATELY need a ruckman.
5 . Midfield depth isn't as good as some think.
6 . Losing Crameri really going to hurt.
7 . More great signs for 2017 onwards
8 . Our goal kicking is still crap

Spot on I reckon. Inside ball movement was dependent on first use, which we had a lot of early but none later. I thought Boyd was terrific, and gave Witts a lot of trouble, but we were poor in the middle in the second half.

Our goal kicking, other than the magnificently accurate Dickson, is still crap.
(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I can confirm Tory Dickson has an abdominal strain, although should be fine for round 1.

Yes, that is the injury that I've been told he has.

I was also told that if it was a H&A game yesterday he would have played.

B: Morris; Hamling;* MBoyd.
HB: Murphy; Adams; Wood.
M: JJ; Macrae; Daniel.
HF: Dalhaus; Stringer; Suckling.
F: Dickson;** TBoyd; Hunter.

Foll: Campbell; Bont; Wallis.

IC: Roughead; Picken; Stevens; Libba.

Emerg from: Redpath; Minson; Honeychurch; McLean; Roberts.

*If not fit, then we play Roberts.
** If not fit, then we play McClean.

I feel like I have forgotten someone...

Roughead shouldn't deserve to come back into the side from his VFL performance. Sure he might have been in the bests but he needs to deliver more than 15 hitouts and 2 goals after what he has dished up in the pre season.

Come back to me when he dominates a VFL game with 5 goals or dominates the ruck for several weeks in a row. Then we can talk about a potential spot for him.

Morris Adams Johannisen
Wood Hamling Murphy

Macrae Liberatore Suckling

Hunter Redpath Stringer
Dickson Boyd Dahlhaus

Campbell Bontempelli Wallis

Stevens Picken Moyd Daniel

Emg: McLean Roughy Collins

Gee the first 3 weeks will be a test. Freo have lost nothing, and will be very hard to beat. Stkilda is a game we should win except it's likely to be that Albino's 300th. Trust us to get another big milestone. Should beat them though. Then it's the Hawks.......well least it's not in Tassie for a change.

Gee the first 3 weeks will be a test. Freo have lost nothing, and will be very hard to beat. Stkilda is a game we should win except it's likely to be that Albino's 300th. Trust us to get another big milestone. Should beat them though. Then it's the Hawks.......well least it's not in Tassie for a change.
3-0....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back