Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth is mayne an emergency????

What the hell is going on? He should not get any games this year unless he somehow starts kicking bags of 10-15goals every week in the 2s.

By far the worst recuruiting decision ever made by us.

I really don’t like potting our players, by gees, this guy should be told he will never play for us again unless he can somehow discover the fountain of youth.

I have no idea whether this is our best available team or not. Although I like Brown and would have been happy to see him in, until there is more exposed form, can't really criticise selection. Two JLT games is not that much to go on and who knows how they have been training or if one or more will have a set role to play.

I am just happy that footy is back!

Mayne emergency?

What the hell is going on? He should not get any games this year unless he somehow starts kicking bags of 10-15goals every week in the 2s.

I really don’t like potting our players, by gees, this guy should be told he will never play for us again unless he can somehow discover the fountain of youth.

Actually, if it's wet and windy it might actually suit him. He does at least give effort.

lol Josh Smith?
The bloke played 2 games after round 12 last year, just when you thought we had gone past his rubbish he finds himself again in the best 22 selected side instead of a kid, any kid on our list. Broomhead, Sier, Brown etc all would be far better off with the minutes.

Mayne an emergency?
How this even happens is just beyond me.

3 biggest selection surprises for me.

1. Aish
I thought he was meant to still be 1 or 2 weeks away after suffering a setback in his rehab.

2. C. Brown
His performances in the preseason have been solid and seems a type the coach would love. With no Blair in sight somewhat surprised he didn't get named on the interchange.

3. Blair
No surprise he wasn't selected but with 5 or so notable players sidelined and a team of 26 named shocked that he's slipped outside our top 30 in the coaches eye.

Looks like the love affair between coach and player is finally at an end.

Question has to be asked.

Is Smith the new man in Buckley's life?
icon_lol.gif

Again, there's a difference between either the selectors at Collingwood and Hawthorn or the medicos.
Cyril Rioli declared fit to play on the back of a 10 week training block after a year out.

Alex Fasolo/ Jamie Elliott, unavailable or VFL.

It's a ****ing joke in this aspect.
I've said it years ago that we are so slow and absolute trash at getting our players back up to speed quickly compared to Hawthorn who seem to get them to the line in very quick fashion.

You know emergencies don't play right?
Who gives a shit if he's named emergency as long as he doesn't play.

Surely the biggest selection query surrounds Fasolo?

Played VFL a couple of weeks back and named again to appear at that level so he's been medically cleared to return having recovered from shoulder surgery.

Given it was shoulder surgery his ability to maintain fitness over summer shouldn't have been greatly affected and as a seasoned player and capable goal kicker not sure we are good enough to have him sit out round 1 if he's at 90%.

With Cyril,l would take the risk, proven match winner. Can bring him on when the pace slackens a bit. Ten weeks block of solid training, good to go

Josh Smith on a wing. Eh, I won't give him too much slack unless he proves himself a poor selection, in which case he'll probably be gone anyway.

Don't mind it otherwise all things considered.

Doubt he'll line up on a wing, think WHE will swap.

Bucks loves Smith and can see Crocker getting a run with no Elliot or Fasolo... but Aish has to be in great touch considering because he's played bugger all minutes since Xmas

Edit: played intraclub in late Feb

And AFLX before the I/C

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the biggest selection query surrounds Fasolo?

Played VFL a couple of weeks back and named again to appear at that level so he's been medically cleared to return having recovered from shoulder surgery.

Given it was shoulder surgery his ability to maintain fitness over summer shouldn't have been greatly affected and as a seasoned player and capable goal kicker not sure we are good enough to have him sit out round 1 if he's at 90%.

From Bucks comments it may well be Faz's application.

Again, there's a difference between either the selectors at Collingwood and Hawthorn or the medicos.
Cyril Rioli declared fit to play on the back of a 10 week training block after a year out.

It's a ******* joke in this aspect.
I've said it years ago that we are so slow and absolute trash at getting our players back up to speed quickly compared to Hawthorn who seem to get them to the line in very quick fashion.
Birchall?

God people write crap some times. How did the Hawks go with O’Meara last year. 6 games.

Cyril came back 10 weeks ago injury free. Others were not injury free 10weeks ago.

Last edited:

wahhh wahhh. nawww

Looks like you got that one right :p

Turns out Buckley was only sporting a Smith semi and not the full on blue balls Blair.

The Hawthorn side named.

B: James Frawley, Ben Stratton, Tim O’Brien
HB: Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, Ryan Burton
C: Ricky Henderson, Jaeger O’Meara, Isaac Smith
HF: Jack Gunston, Ryan Schoenmakers, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Paul Puopolo, Jarryd Roughead, Luke Breust
R: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, Jarman Impey
INT: Taylor Duryea, Liam Shiels, Daniel Howe, Cyril Rioli
Emer: Brendan Whitecross, Harry Morrison, Marc Pittonet, Conor Glass

God people right crap some times. How did the Hawks go with O’Meara last year. 6 games.

Cyril came back 10 weeks ago injury free. Others were not injury free 10weeks ago.

Yep, Cyril's been coming back since round 8-9 last year so they've hardly performed miracles getting him ready.

My point was Smith was a liability that game becuase Melbourne pressured him and knew they could get an easy turnover out of him if you do. Selecting him could be the difference between winning and losing and it won't say anything about the rest of the side.
It's too late, the prophecy is basically fulfilled...
Bold Call 1: Josh Smith will be reinvented as HFF. His ability to find space, make sound decisions and pinpoint passes will be a key factor in our improved ball movement and inside 50 entries. In 2018, he will play over 18 games, averaging over a goal a game and leading the club in goal assists.

3. Blair
No surprise he wasn't selected but with 5 or so notable players sidelined and a team of 26 named shocked that he's slipped outside our top 30 in the coaches eye.

Looks like the love affair between coach and player is finally at an end.

Question has to be asked.

Is Smith the new man in Buckley's life?
icon_lol.gif

There's 21 games after this. Plenty of time yet for red wine and roses to work their magic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back