Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only other thing it can be is other teams take risks with their players= the old no risk no reward.
Whereas we just opt to take no risks at all.

When you look at our track record with injuries over the last few years. I'm not sure how you can say it's "unlikely".
We have a massive problem that is still a work in progress.
You continue to make ridiculous generalisations and compare players with completely different physical issues. Your theory has no credible basis, unless you are prepared to actually provide some decent evidence.

You continue to make ridiculous generalisations and compare players with completely different physical issues. Your theory has no credible basis, unless you are prepared to actually provide some decent evidence.

Have you been living under a rock over the last few years?
Ridiculous generalisations?

So all these health issues we've had have all been illusions then and the players were just simply taking long service leave from football?

How is it questionable?
It's factual.

Alex Fasolo is playing a second game in the VFL so he is fit to play football.
Cyril Rioli has played no football since Round 8/9 last year, disappeared most of the pre-season and came back for a 10 week block, no match practice whatsoever and gets to the line in round 1.

I just don't understand.

We need proven goal kickers in the side not in the VFL.
Why does he need a second match in the VFL under the circumstances just mentioned?
Yep, you don’t.

Go watch Dimma being interviewed this week on the couch.

Was questioned whether he would prefer a Bloke who can chase and tackle or the skilful flashy player.

Fas doesn’t do enough when we don’t have the ball and from all reports didn’t do much in the practice run anyway.

He hasn’t earnt a game.

Have you been living under a rock over the last few years?
Ridiculous generalisations?

So all these health issues we've had have all been illusions then and the players were just simply taking long service leave from football?
Can you please provide some proof that our injury management is worse than other clubs.

Yep, you don’t.

Go watch Dimma being interviewed this week on the couch.

Was questioned whether he would prefer a Bloke who can chase and tackle or the skilful flashy player.

Fas doesn’t do enough when we don’t have the ball and from all reports didn’t do much in the practice run anyway.

He hasn’t earnt a game.

Right, so lets become a team of plodders.
Who needs to kick goals anyway, there's other ways you can win games of footy.

Goal kickers? Pfft. There's no place in the game for them.

Last edited:
Who needs to kick goals anyway, there's other ways you can in games of footy.

Don’t be so dramatic. He’ll get a game soon enough, and we can win on Sat without him.

Can you please provide some proof that our injury management is worse than other clubs.

Your head is still stuck in the sand isn't it?

Fasolo, De Goey, Wells, Elliott, Goldsack, Langdon, Howe, Pendlebury, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Aish, Greenwood etc.
Check out how much footy they've missed over the last few years.

Some of them are repeat performers in the injury lists too and highly publicised.

Don’t be so dramatic. He’ll get a game soon enough, and we can win on Sat without him.

I'm actually bullish about our chances to beat Hawthorn this weekend- it's definitely a game we can win.
However, the question mark of how we will find goals is something that worries me.

Your head is still stuck in the sand isn't it?

Fasolo, De Goey, Wells, Elliott, Goldsack, Langdon, Howe, Pendlebury, Scharenberg, Varcoe, Aish, Greenwood etc.
Check out how much footy they've missed over the last few years.

Some of them are repeat performers in the injury lists too and highly publicised.
You’ve just listed injured players, all clubs have those. You said our medical team take longer to get them back to playing. Proof please.

Who needs to kick goals anyway, there's other ways you can in games of footy.

A plodder is exactly what Fas becomes when the other team has the ball.

You can’t carry plodders who only want to run one way anymore...especially when we are already playing Reid and Cox up forward:

A plodder is exactly what Fas becomes when the other team has the ball.

You can’t carry plodders who only want to run one way anymore...especially when we are already playing Reid and Cox up forward:

Fas will kick more goals than both of them combined.
That makes him more valuable to the team than those two.

We were 18th for tackles and 17th for pressure in the forward 50 last season. Don't see how the selected side can improve on that aspect.

Cox can't pressure opponents. Reid is slower than treacle these days. First gamer Stephenson wasn't recruited for tackling, but at least has the pace to chase. And then there is Hoskin-Elliott, who is no doubt an excellent footballer, but defensively is no tougher than a wet tissue.

So it looks like its up to Thomas and Crocker to apply the forward pressure.

We're screwed.

Gee our forward line looks below par. We'll need a few blokes to stand up while we have so many injuries. I don't feel great about the first few weeks of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were 18th for tackles and 17th for pressure in the forward 50 last season. Don't see how the selected side can improve on that aspect.

Cox can't pressure opponents. Reid is slower than treacle these days. First gamer Stephenson wasn't recruited for tackling, but at least has the pace to chase. And then there is Hoskin-Elliott, who is no doubt an excellent footballer, but defensively is no tougher than a wet tissue.

So it looks like its up to Thomas and Crocker to apply the forward pressure.

We're screwed.
We are not screwed. Forward pressure is applied by the whole side, not just the forwards.

Gee our forward line looks below par. We'll need a few blokes to stand up while we have so many injuries. I don't feel great about the first few weeks of the season.
We will need a decent spread of goal kickers.

HF: Josh Thomas, Ben Reid, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Jaidyn Stephenson, Mason Cox, Ben Crocker
With that it's gonna have to be real low scoring or Trelaor, Pendlebury, Sidebottom etc kick 6 or more between them

I'm reasonably happy with the side picked. Agree Brown a little unlucky but he hadn't smashed the door down either.

I'm like most here, not a huge fan of Smith but will be interesting to see him in the new role.

Aish fortunate, but showed a bit before the injury so I'm actually happy he gets a chance since fit

Bring on Saturday!

Last edited:
We will need a decent spread of goal kickers.
True, but the current forward line doesn't scream playmakers to me. Just bit players. No match winners. Really need to get some class back in there asap. I'd actually play Sidey in there permanently until we can get Elliott, Fasolo or Wells in there. Given our midfield currently bats deeper that is.

True, but the current forward line doesn't scream playmakers to me. Just bit players. No match winners. Really need to get some class back in there asap. I'd actually play Sidey in there permanently until we can get Elliott, Fasolo or Wells in there. Given our midfield currently bats deeper that is.
Steele will no doubt bob up in the forward line, as will players such as Phillips and Aish. We need to take the game on and move the pill quickly.

How is it questionable?
It's factual.

Alex Fasolo is playing a second game in the VFL so he is fit to play football.
Cyril Rioli has played no football since Round 8/9 last year, disappeared most of the pre-season and came back for a 10 week block, no match practice whatsoever and gets to the line in round 1.

I just don't understand.

We need proven goal kickers in the side not in the VFL.
Why does he need a second match in the VFL under the circumstances just mentioned?
Both Rioli and Fasolo would be below their best at this stage of their recovery. Below his best, Fas is a liability. Below his best, Rioli is still a very good footballer. I can't believe you're comparing the two as though they should be treated the same by selection committees.

It'll be the strength of the Hawthorn forward line up against the ability of our midfield to dominate enough to choke the supply to them.

You could make arguments against Smith and Crocker but I can understand why they went that way. We already have two debutants so to go with Brown or other young player was probably a bit of a stretch. Round 1 is always one of the toughest games of the year and including Crocker and Smith who are a little more seasoned improves chances they will run out the game.

Understand some being disappointed other options where not taken, but don’t think you can be overly critical of the side picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back