Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

No excuses for the slow start - killed us last year and did so last night as well. As nice as the improvement after qtr time was, had the feel of the tigers also taking the foot off the pedal (which i think may be a product of no crowd) and when they needed to kick a goal they did it easily.

I dont know the centre square numbers but did Setters, Walsh, Dow, Gibbons, Cunners even go in their once? Last year we put them in too much and we paid the price but we need to develop their games - cant rely on Cripps/Murphy/Ed to do it all.

As for the players:
Weitering - Beast mode, get used to it.
SPS - didnt notice him the 1st qtr, but last 3 qtrs was really good. Cool, calm and use of ball was great. Even went back once or twice and put his body on the line. I think he could be used up the ground a little bit more in an ideal world. If willo comes in and can play well, either SPS or Doc could be moved up the ground at times.
Doc - great to see him back - bit fumbly at times and rushed but to be expected. Probably not a bad round 1 game to return as the pace was slow compared to a normal rnd 1 (no crowd - less adrenaline) - hell be much better next game.
Casboult - no big clunks but did a really good job when kruezer went down and also kicked 2 goals. all heart as always. but they better not play him as no.1 ruck as we know that doesnt work.
Cripps - was really good but probably not as damaging as we would have liked.

Simpson - not sure he needed to go again this year, round 1 hasnt changed my mind either - was the worst but made some blunders.
Murphy - FMD his disposal, like the first half last year. Also still chooses when he wants to go hard and when he doesnt. He'll be better and when he is on we will be much better. Probably our most important player to get his skills right as he is so damaging when his skills are on.
Newnes - looks a nick graham clone. effort was good but disposal not so much. probably expect a bit more from a 150 game player, see how he goes going fwd.

Poor:
Fisher: same as last year, doesnt do enough and not sure where he is best suited - is he too small? frustrating
Dow - doesnt go hard enough, doesnt want the ball enough, doesnt use it well and is played out of position. if he plays, he needs to play more midfield. if not, then dont play him.
Gibbons - unsighted, played out of position like he was the first half of 2019 and has little impact.
Setters - not sure whats wrong with him, all preseason has been poor. needs to work harder, got going a bit better the 2nd half of the match and some good chases/repeat efforts.
Cunners - 2 goals and should have been 3. he needs to play as he will kick goals but needs to get involved a lot more. Another played out of position as not enough minutes up the ground - needs to be 60/40 or 70/30 fwd/mid split, last night was 100% fwd from what i saw.
Jones - thought his first half was atrocious, yes not helped by the mids but he has to learn to tighten up when things not going our way up the ground.
JSOS/GOV - not an easy night when yuo are expected to be the main tagrets when its not your role. JSOS did a few nice things but needs to get involved more and Gov tried to do alot but it didnt come off, might need to simplify his efforts (not try and take a hanger every time)
Newman: hurt his elbow, clearly an injury he has had before with the taping. but even upto then i hadnt noticed him. I didnt have him best 22 and would rather Willo anyway.
Walsh - i was shot down last year on here whenever i mentioned his bad disposal at times (seemed he would just have days when he was shocking). Same again last night, kicking was poor, didnt take the 1st option and it cost us at times. needed to be involved more, not sure why he wasnt.

As for next week, i am loathe to make changes as if they are good enough for round 1 they should be good enough for round 2, or another way, they deserve more than 1 week before getting dropped. Dont wont blokes playing scared knowing if they fu** up once theyll be dropped.
Not sure how you think Newnes had a better game than Fisher?

The most disappointing aspect of Dow’s game was the lack o physicality.

I thought he was known to have a tougher side...didn’t he lose his front teeth one game and kept on playing?

Not sure where that mongrel has gone. Looked to avoid contact in most cases.

Social distancing maybe?

Happy I didn't turn it off at HT, was pleasing we didn't throw the towel in, lots to like after QT, which was just a disaster.
Jack Martin is all class, has a bit of mongral too, me likey, look all in all, I think when we get some targets to kick to up front, we will be a handful to most sides.
Turned to an ep of My Brilliant Friend. Suitably distracting and engaging.
Got the vibe to switch back after 20 mins in.
So glad I did.
Changes everything that we were able to rally, shift and eventually dominate. Given who is out, remarkable.
A month or so break mid-winter and we might be right in this.
Personally I just need to see fierce effort and close games each week.

2021 is when the real climb begins ww'll have Papley and maybe another A lister plus a hardened strengthened maturing list.

I didn't think Cuningham was poor at all, even given the low possession count.
Up against a pretty good back-line and again, he just made things happen and at least looked dangerous.
Certainly not the player whose head I'd have on the chopping block.

We saw just how much a difference it is to have a player with forward craft last night. No wonder we wanted Papley and will again go after him.
Just to sort this midfield out though. If at years end our best still has the names ECurnow and Murphy involved - We'll have problems.

I didn't think Cuningham was poor at all, even given the low possession count.
Up against a pretty good back-line and again, he just made things happen and at least looked dangerous.
Certainly not the player whose head I'd have on the chopping block.

We saw just how much a difference it is to have a player with forward craft last night. No wonder we wanted Papley and will again go after him.
Just to sort this midfield out though. If at years end our best still has the names ECurnow and Murphy involved - We'll have problems.

Cuners Needs to lift his possession count, but does look dangerous when he has the ball and nearly kicked 3. And think he’ll get better.

He’s continually developing as a forward, and has more upside than other small forwards we used last night (apart from Martin).

But would be great to have Papley ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd like to see what Fox footy does with the no crowd thing. Definitely need to do more with a bit of clever telly magic. As for the submarine noise...
May as well have the grim reaper flash across our screens after every goal ffs!!
So depressing.
Camon tv wizards
Lift!!

23 tackles says it all (albeit Richmond’s style mean tackles would typically be lower). Appetite for the contest lacking until the game opened up. It was bruise free stuff.

overall I’m most worried by our skill level. We have a few individuals with great skills, our inability collectively to manage basic execution cost us any chance of converting whatever ascendency we had in general play to the scoreboard until Richmond eased up.

not sure why Dow is getting a game when it’s clear he hasn’t improved on his core deficiencies. I’ve been told all summer about the amazing depth we have. If that’s the case why are we carrying players in the 22. Dow, Gibbobs, Setterfield were passengers.

Setterfield I would persist with because I think I understand the role he has. I’ve got no idea what Dow is supposed to be doing.

really liked games from all the Jacks. Levi was immense - he keeps making me feel so foolish for thinking he isn’t best 22 every week.

Weitering has made The Leap. SPS is a HBF and other players we’ve half considered for that, eg Willo, are going to need to find a role elsewhere.

liked the fact that again we saw Teague’s ability to adjust in game. To me this outcome was driven by execution/effort.

and I guess maybe some slack should be cut considering how unique that environment would have been.

Cuners Needs to lift his possession count, but does look dangerous when he has the ball and nearly kicked 3. And think he’ll get better.

He’s continually developing as a forward, and has more upside than other small forwards we used last night (apart from Martin).

But would be great to have Papley ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

His first goal was a superb crumb, clean. but then misses an easy crumb on his own on the wing.

But on a positive note? Hey jokes aside, always loved soapy's comments, enthusiasm. If we were all the same life would be pretty boring so alternative thoughts should always be welcomed, it feeds the brain. So long as they are not bullying and detrimental to someones mental health I'm all for debate.
Soapy is our best friend right now.

Will see mahself owt.

Soapy,
And sugar cubes.

Going.
:racehorse:

Nothing has changed, skill errors, soft, soft players,

Barker is still there the guy is a leech and has been leeching off us for years, how does this leech still keep his job?

You can't give a team a 9 goal start and then play catch up and then say we tried.

Weitering is elite, knows he belongs.

Martin is a good player, silk

SPS tried hard to keep us in the game, very good game, silk.

Cashboult was good.

Cripps gun nothing else to say.

Walsh triied.

Boc awesome, can't believe he has missed 2 years, did not look like he hasn't played for two season.

Murphy the softest, player at Carlton, but we are stuck with him for another year.

Kruz should have been traded a long time ago while he had value.

Dow needs to pull his finger out, some of his efforts were lacking intensity, seems soft and looks like another Murphy?

All in all we aren't a good team we are shit, same shit for 25 years now, seliing dreams to us at $750 a pop, and nothing has changed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the 50 against Simmo which was blatant holding the ball.
With that particular piece of play, we need to approach the AFL, and we need to ask them outright, "So, what are his options here? Is he a) to allow Lambert (I think it was Lambert) to keep running, actually play on but only have the umpire call it after he's run past him; b) to try and get body on him to stop him without tackling, which has a decent chance of Lambert getting past him anyway; or c) what he elected to do and tackle? What are the options for a defender who doesn't want to infringe, but cannot allow Lambert to play on?"

The bloke held onto his whistle because he knew Simpson would opt to tackle. This is part of what is wrong with the AFL these days; so much of forward craft is catered to sucking in the umpires rather than winning the ball themselves.

anyone else think mcg could give away the yap after goaling? seems more intent on burning his opponent than he needs to be I reckon.........
Too many people conflate rubbing it in your face with actually being good.

Everyone is having a crack at Murphy. But when you look at the come back it was Cripps to Murphy and visa versa. Then last year at the tail end, murphy back in centre. Its not Murphy, Its the next in line that need to step up and until they do what? we freaking crucify Murph. Its up to the next gen to prove they are up to taking his place, and so far they havent. they will over time, but so far when we have taken him out and experimented with the new we have lost center clearances and leaked goals. Yes we rotate him out, give others a chance, but until they grab it by the throat and cost goals, games, he is in.
Nup. Murph had a mare.

23 tackles says it all (albeit Richmond’s style mean tackles would typically be lower). Appetite for the contest lacking until the game opened up. It was bruise free stuff.

overall I’m most worried by our skill level. We have a few individuals with great skills, our inability collectively to manage basic execution cost us any chance of converting whatever ascendency we had in general play to the scoreboard until Richmond eased up.

not sure why Dow is getting a game when it’s clear he hasn’t improved on his core deficiencies. I’ve been told all summer about the amazing depth we have. If that’s the case why are we carrying players in the 22. Dow, Gibbobs, Setterfield were passengers.

Setterfield I would persist with because I think I understand the role he has. I’ve got no idea what Dow is supposed to be doing.

really liked games from all the Jacks. Levi was immense - he keeps making me feel so foolish for thinking he isn’t best 22 every week.

Weitering has made The Leap. SPS is a HBF and other players we’ve half considered for that, eg Willo, are going to need to find a role elsewhere.

liked the fact that again we saw Teague’s ability to adjust in game. To me this outcome was driven by execution/effort.

and I guess maybe some slack should be cut considering how unique that environment would have been.
Thought there was a reasonable amount of tackling. Tigers were just allowed to throw the ball when tackled

I'd like to see what Fox footy does with the no crowd thing. Definitely need to do more with a bit of clever telly magic. As for the submarine noise...
May as well have the grim reaper flash across our screens after every goal ffs!!
So depressing.
Camon tv wizards
Lift!!
I think that we need to remember that Cuners has never played more than three consecutive senior games in a season. Just needs continuity. Could easily average 2.5 goals per game.

Dow was pitifully out of his depth last night and Setterfield not far behind. Can't carry two blokes like that when the team is down a ruckman and has no forward line.

Richmond were able to get a monster start because they could win a contest with one player against 2-3 of ours - around contests it was rope a dope Carlton players V well drilled smart midfielders at Richmond. It isn't talent we are missing - it is size and coaching - we are wasting development time in Dow / Setterfield / Fisher because these blokes STILL don't know how to play as midfielders.

Biggest difference between the sides last night was Richmond is so well drilled around contests between the arcs - makes me want to puke tbh.

The second huge negative is the unwillingness and inability of too many players to kick easy set shots - again Dow is a coach and team killer in this regard, Murphy not far behind and Jack shoulder to shoulder with him.

Fix these two issues and the team might actually get reward for effort and start mounting some score board pressure on opposition occasionally.

Very understated game from SPS.

Went under the radar with Docherty returning and resuming his usual sweeping duties, but consistently made good decisions in the defensive half. Had balls of steel on a few occasions stepping through multiple Richmond players on the last line.

Looks, on a very small viewing, more confident in his role and played deeper than we’d previously seen him.

Samo was all class. Even had time to pull up his pants (while under pressure) and get the handball away.. don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

Biggest difference between the sides last night was Richmond is so well drilled around contests between the arcs - makes me want to puke tbh.

The second huge negative is the unwillingness and inability of too many players to kick easy set shots - again Dow is a coach and team killer in this regard, Murphy not far behind and Jack shoulder to shoulder with him.
The funny thing is Dow is the worst kick in the team yet he was the only one willing to take responsibility for the set shots.

Also Newnes gave away that set shot to cripps in the pre season game vs brisbane and got absolutely annihilated for it around here. Maybe it's a directive from the coach? But I agree murphy and JSOS give offs were deplorabe.

The funny thing is Dow is the worst kick in the team yet he was the only one willing to take responsibility for the set shots.

Also Newnes gave away that set shot to cripps in the pre season game vs brisbane and got absolutely annihilated for it around here. Maybe it's a directive from the coach? But I agree murphy and JSOS give offs were deplorabe.

To be fair to dow, both were nowhere near going out on the full like last year they would have. last year he was almost missing the ball completely. Dont know who is teaching his run up, no fluency or momentum at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back