Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Plowman rarely gets beaten on the best small/mid forwards in the game, week in week out.
He’s always at the drop helping out and covering his own man.
The kid is close to being one of the best shutdown defenders in the game and people still pot him.
It’s mental.
Also clearly out pointed Nankervis in a marking contest at one stage.

Will be watching the rest of this round with interest - I think there will be a few games where one side is less distracted by the surrealism of an empty stadium and jumps out to an early lead. Cannot doubt that it would have been very strange to walk out onto the MCG for a competitive game of AFL footy, and have nobody watching you.

Was a little distracted myself watching the game, as we had company last night. A few things certainly caught my eye though.

Dow. I still have faith in him. But my god, Paddy, switch the **** on. Coughed up the first goal of the game with a brainfade 50m penalty. Almost every time I saw him after that he was jogging behind his man. Get proactive and win the damn ball. On the cusp, for mine, and could do with a year without much footy and with a heap of time in the gym.

Cunners. Those saying he "needs more possessions" are a little off the mark. If we want to play him up the field, then sure, but if he's playing forward then anywhere from 8-12 touches with 2+ goals is a very good return. It's not "elite" small forward numbers, but as one element of the forward combination it's enough. A preferred forward line of McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Martin, Betts, Cunners....that's the aim.

Martin. Wow. This is what I was hoping to see, and he bloody well delivered. Tackled with intent, hunted the ball, hit the scoreboard and turned the momentum of the game. Exactly what we need, just need to persist and get some continuity into the side.

Handballing. You CANNOT get away with bullshit loopy hospital handballs in AFL footy, especially against the Tigers. It killed us. So many players guilty of it in the early stages of the game. Richmond look for it, wait for it, and when you do it they come at you hard, force the turnover and rebound immediately with a number of frontrunners. Flat direct handballs, please boys.

Kreuzer. God-****ing-damnit. Ah well, Pittonet or TDK get their chance now. Up against WB and English in round two, could either be seen as a good opportunity for TDK against a younger ruck opponent, or a chance for Pittonet to put his physicality to good effect and set the tone for the mids.

Other little observations. Thought Newman laid some good, hard tackles early, but that elbow(?) injury looked painful. No idea what Setters and Gibbons were doing last night, both are better than what they showed but it'll be interesting to see if the MC send a message and give blokes like Willo and Philp an opportunity instead.

As far as scoring is concerned, I think we're looking better up forward. 8 goals between the three dedicated smaller forwards (Martin, Cunners, JSOS) is brilliant. Only 3 from the "talls" (Cas and Gov) isn't enough, but down a ruckman early meant one of these guys was on the ball most of the time. Only 1 goal from the midfield is a travesty though. Guys like Cripps, Murph, Curnow, Dow, Walsh, Fisher, Gibbons and Setters need to find ways to hit the scoreboard. Dow kicked two behinds, but other than that this group didn't register a single point.

Anyway - that weird ****ing experience is over and done with. Learn from it, and come out next week with some ****ing intensity from the first bounce.

Composure under pressure, footy smarts, attitude and strength.

A few important features required to be a good footy player. Certainly have a few players who fit those criteria last night and a few who just don't make the cut.

Dow running through the mark and coughing up a 50 like within a millisecond after the first bounce was utterly brain dead - easy goal to Premiers and they’re off to a flyer. Think son!

Plowman rarely gets beaten on the best small/mid forwards in the game, week in week out.
He’s always at the drop helping out and covering his own man.
The kid is close to being one of the best shutdown defenders in the game and people still pot him.
It’s mental.
James Brayshaw said of Martin in the third quarter, "Martin wins the one on one, how often do we say that?"

He said it once all game, because for the rest of it Plow completely had his measure.

Jack Martin won't kick that many goals every week, but I suspect he will rank very highly in score involvements.

He will create as many goals as he will kick IMO.

Just checked. Martin leads the league in score involvements this year.

:p

Dow running through the mark and coughing up a 50 like within a millisecond after the first bounce was utterly brain dead - easy goal to Premiers and they’re off to a flyer. Think son!
While you are correct that he did break the rule, that rule is a blight on the game and that manner of adjudication allows for old men on the sidelines to sit there and pontificate.

Sure, he shouldn't have done it, but it's barely there and it is all manner of precious to call that fifty 2 minutes into the game in the first game of the year.

I'd like to see what Fox footy does with the no crowd thing. Definitely need to do more with a bit of clever telly magic. As for the submarine noise...
May as well have the grim reaper flash across our screens after every goal ffs!!
So depressing.
Camon tv wizards
Lift!!

You know these days I mute sound while watching us, just so much better than hearing flog Carlton loathing commentators either pumping up our opponents or laying the slipper into us.

If I want special comments I rely on you guys 😍

At the footy I never hear commentators so what’s the difference?

Will be watching the rest of this round with interest - I think there will be a few games where one side is less distracted by the surrealism of an empty stadium and jumps out to an early lead. Cannot doubt that it would have been very strange to walk out onto the MCG for a competitive game of AFL footy, and have nobody watching you.

Was a little distracted myself watching the game, as we had company last night. A few things certainly caught my eye though.

Dow. I still have faith in him. But my god, Paddy, switch the fu** on. Coughed up the first goal of the game with a brainfade 50m penalty. Almost every time I saw him after that he was jogging behind his man. Get proactive and win the damn ball. On the cusp, for mine, and could do with a year without much footy and with a heap of time in the gym.

Cunners. Those saying he "needs more possessions" are a little off the mark. If we want to play him up the field, then sure, but if he's playing forward then anywhere from 8-12 touches with 2+ goals is a very good return. It's not "elite" small forward numbers, but as one element of the forward combination it's enough. A preferred forward line of McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Martin, Betts, Cunners....that's the aim.

Martin. Wow. This is what I was hoping to see, and he bloody well delivered. Tackled with intent, hunted the ball, hit the scoreboard and turned the momentum of the game. Exactly what we need, just need to persist and get some continuity into the side.

Handballing. You CANNOT get away with bullshit loopy hospital handballs in AFL footy, especially against the Tigers. It killed us. So many players guilty of it in the early stages of the game. Richmond look for it, wait for it, and when you do it they come at you hard, force the turnover and rebound immediately with a number of frontrunners. Flat direct handballs, please boys.

Kreuzer. God-*******-damnit. Ah well, Pittonet or TDK get their chance now. Up against WB and English in round two, could either be seen as a good opportunity for TDK against a younger ruck opponent, or a chance for Pittonet to put his physicality to good effect and set the tone for the mids.

Other little observations. Thought Newman laid some good, hard tackles early, but that elbow(?) injury looked painful. No idea what Setters and Gibbons were doing last night, both are better than what they showed but it'll be interesting to see if the MC send a message and give blokes like Willo and Philp an opportunity instead.

As far as scoring is concerned, I think we're looking better up forward. 8 goals between the three dedicated smaller forwards (Martin, Cunners, JSOS) is brilliant. Only 3 from the "talls" (Cas and Gov) isn't enough, but down a ruckman early meant one of these guys was on the ball most of the time. Only 1 goal from the midfield is a travesty though. Guys like Cripps, Murph, Curnow, Dow, Walsh, Fisher, Gibbons and Setters need to find ways to hit the scoreboard. Dow kicked two behinds, but other than that this group didn't register a single point.

Anyway - that weird ******* experience is over and done with. Learn from it, and come out next week with some ******* intensity from the first bounce.
You share the same thoughts as me.

100% with you about our mids not hitting the scoreboard. That could be Richmond being prepared for us knowing with a depleted Fwd line we would rely on mids to score more. They stopped that and it's why they have been good for 3 years running now.

Our tackling intensity, as I've mentioned, is probably our biggest and most dire area for improvement moving forward. only 16 games left nad theres a few teams (like *) where bringing tackling pressure will be the difference between winning and losing.

I'm not disappointed with the game, I'm disappointed with the start.

The thing the tigers have over us more than ANYTHING is communication they have been a team that has made so little changes in 5 or six years that they know each other extremely well and it shows. Put that against a team that ha made well over 40 changes in 3 to 4 years and it's gonna be a problem for a while hence silvagni last year saying he doesn't want many more changes.. they just need to gel

This game reminded of many from last year. Starting slowly (very, very slowly in this case) then finally putting it together towards the end of the first half and coming close in the end.

We dominated the clearances, it was always that next possession that cost us. Once we got that right Richmond didn't have an answer, which feels weird to say - We dominated something and the reigning premiers didn't have an answer. They were just waiting for us to make a mistake (which we made a lot of in the first half) and counter attacked, outside of that I can't really think of any other areas they clearly got on top of us.

Boy wasn't it nice to see Tom Lynch get monstered for a change! He usually toys with us and does as he pleases, but Weitering absolutely shut him out of the game. Seems all the pre-season hype around him was warranted. Very nice. Jones came back strong after a slow start, outside of the first qtr Jones won the contest with Riewoldt, but Riewoldt did the damage early to get the lead for them.

Cuninghams clean hands below his knees was something to behold, particularly on the half volley, remarkable. He looked good, didn't get much of it but when he did we looked a lot better.

Jack Martin was great, but I wasn't surprised. I've seen a lot of him on the Gold Coast and have seen that sort of game before, but his issue was he could never sustain it for more than a game or 2. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Murphy moved really well, looked effortless. Even a little stronger. He did have a few poor kicks but also had a couple really good ones. I think that might be his role - to take on the challenging kick. Some will come off, some won't.

Newnes was better than expected. Given the poor reports here I was expecting him to be gash, but he was mostly good with his disposal and looked relatively composed. As soon as he got the ball on 50 I new he was going to kick the goal. I would've been more surprised if he missed it.

Shame about Kreuzer. Real shame. But it's the story of his career, it's hard to be surprised at this point. Guess we'll see early on what Pittonet can do! Unless we bring in TDK, but I think they'll go a genuine ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing the shorter game does is it prevents Richmond's 'We'll beat you up until you can't sprint anymore, then we'll kick our goals" gameplan a bit. Sure, they kicked redtime goals, but they were able to do that because we kicked terribly all night and their game is comprised of denying their opponents time and space.

We'll see. If the season does not get cancelled, maybe this will prevent them being as dominant late in games as they have been in the past.

The thing the tigers have over us more than ANYTHING is communication they have been a team that has made so little changes in 5 or six years that they know each other extremely well and it shows. Put that against a team that ha made well over 40 changes in 3 to 4 years and it's gonna be a problem for a while hence silvagni last year saying he doesn't want many more changes.. they just need to gel

Pretty much. It's been a couple of year now that I've liked what they do without taking possession of the ball.
The little taps of the ball to advantage, a little push here and there and that's why i stated that their fluid, as everything seems to come about easier than for what it does for us.

All that will come about but what won't be tolerated is 100% effort and that's where I feel the spotlight may shone on a few players today.
Something just looked off with some of our guys.

With Doc back it is only going to help SPS become elite, yesterday was his best game for us, liked his attack on the ball, he is a silky mover and good skills.
Second best* The dogs game last year was a worldie.

He looked very good though, so composed with the ball and strong through the hips - he seemed to shrug off arm tackles rather easily.

I'd be content with a Casboult/TDK ruck setup. Cas is smashing it around the park, provides a very safe set of hands around the ball or leading up at the ball out of the backline, and other ruckmen cannot go with him around the ground. All he needs to do is to smash into his opposition ruck and neutralize the tap.

Lol..please..another excuse no crowd
Not just the "no crowd". The build-up was as abnormal as you will ever get. Reckon that will affect the younger less experienced sides more, and you will probably see further examples over the weekend.

Was proud of them. Stuck at it when shit went wrong early. At least we don't have to turn to the likes of Mullet and O'Shea as reinforcements any more. As others have said, some were pretty ordinary, but probably get a pass due to the extreme circumstances surrounding the preparation.

Thank God we got Pittonet.

Sick of hearing TDK ain’t ready,neither was Tim English.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pittonet is a better ruckman.
Yep Pittonet is better ATM. We had/have the chance to "blood" TDK. We need(ed) another forward target. Levi has become huge for the team, McGovern
better serves the team as a utility drifting forward rather than a focal point. His new body shape combined with natural athleticism lends itself to half forward, even wing drifting forward when there is a mismatch.

ATM TDK has more value as a forward than dedicated ruck, could play in tandem with Pit/MK pending return of Harry. Missed one opportunity. Conversely could be played in tandem with Levi as a makeshift ruck/forward combo.

Love Teaguey, but starting to think he is the anti-Bolts, not affording enough opportunity to the kids, as opposed to too much.

To me the most glaring issue is our poor strike rate per forward entry. It got a lot better as the game wore on but still there were periods when we spent so much energy for **** all result. Would be very disheartening for the players that work so hard defending and trying to create opportunities.

I'd be content with a Casboult/TDK ruck setup. Cas is smashing it around the park, provides a very safe set of hands around the ball or leading up at the ball out of the backline, and other ruckmen cannot go with him around the ground. All he needs to do is to smash into his opposition ruck and neutralize the tap.
I could work with that - 50/50 split in the ruck and both capable to go fwd.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

And the other part is he's poor defensively...it would be easier to forgive his lack of offensive output if he at least put out lots of defensive pressure and did a lot of hard defensive running off the ball to cover dangerous space etc...but he doesn't.

Although he was playing more half forward than midfield tonight, but still.

Sam Philp will by eyeing off Dow's spot in the team. Time for Paddy to wake up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back