Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman had his moments, but his hardness and competitiveness is something we can't afford to lose. He also matches up well against the Dogs' small forwards in Cavarra, Smith, Lloyd etc.

I'm torn about TDK vs Pittonet. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm concerned about Pittonet's mobility vs English around the ground.

Happy for Dow and Setterfield to get a 2nd go, but also happy to bring Williamson, Philp, or O'Brien in. Interesting times ahead.

Newman had his moments, but his hardness and competitiveness is something we can't afford to lose. He also matches up well against the Dogs' small forwards in Cavarra, Smith, Lloyd etc.

I'm torn about TDK vs Pittonet. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm concerned about Pittonet's mobility vs English around the ground.

Happy for Dow and Setterfield to get a 2nd go, but also happy to bring Williamson, Philp, or O'Brien in. Interesting times ahead.
TDK for me, will keep up with English around the ground better due to his athleticism. Will also run and jump at the ball better when resting forward.

Levi will test English with his physicality when he swaps with TDK.

This combination is the right balance both in the ruck & resting forward.

Seems to me we had bit of a similar problem last year, esp once Teague took over from Bolton, slow, infuriating starts/first halves and quarters, than fly home with a wet sail.

I really love David Teague as coach and how He has galvanised the playing group, but is it too much to ask if we can win an opening quarter once in a while ?
That's what I was hoping we'd spend the off-season working on! I think we see the talent and grit out boys have when the shackles are off and there's nothing to lose. But that mindset that they deserve to win and not be so tentative in early parts of games/quarters is what is killing us.

Can somebody answer this for me?

What are we going to do about our reserves players? Reckon the clubs will set up practice matches with other AFL clubs on a 16 a-side basis, potentially with some top-up players if that is eventually brought in, and get some run into the legs of the reserves on the weekends?

Only thing is by halfway through the seaosn that might eb a struggle with injury lists mounting?

The notion of trying to convert midfielders into crafty efficient forwards has failed dismally.
The best small & medium forwards in the comp are more often “forwards first” and not midfielders who have been converted in most cases.

Forwards with real craft & goal sense such as Betts, Martin, Toby Greene, Michael Walters, Jack Billings, Charlie Cameron, Jordan DeGoey, Robbie Gray and PAPLEY etc, etc demand so much more attention/focus which helps the teams forward structure function better as opposed to make shift forwards who are being slotted in to add to midfield depth.

Greene and De Goey were recruited as midfielders, and were converted into forwards.

What are we going to do about our reserves players? Reckon the clubs will set up practice matches with other AFL clubs on a 16 a-side basis, potentially with some top-up players if that is eventually brought in, and get some run into the legs of the reserves on the weekends?

Only thing is by halfway through the seaosn that might eb a struggle with injury lists mounting?
Sounds good in theory but are they allowed to even do this? VFL dumped as too much player contact was to be avoided 🤷‍♂️

Difference was skill level, hard running ability and marking forwards.

We made up for it by being good in the stoppages but they having a strong forward line was the difference.

Ball handling, kicking and missed or poor handball. I've seen worse but Richmond we're a level above.

Cripps - Awesome.
Murphy - good but untidy kicking at times but a nice game.
Docherty - good but disposal needs a Polish up but pretty good game. One of the best.
Simpson - pretty good.
SPS - Really good, great disposal, hard at it.
Walsh - not great by his standards, disposal not damaging.
Martin - Awesome. Can do it all.
Fisher - ok, needs to do more. Not physical enough and goes missing. Not tough enough IMO.
Curnow - ok game, battled on.
Newman - was ok, not great after his injury but played alright.
Newnes - was ok, did some poor things disposal wise but was ok. Not a strong addition to the team, not sure O'Brien would be better.
Weitering - Awesome game.
Casboult - awesome game, always plays well with midfield time.
Jones - good game but struggled early. Love his field kicking.
Cuningham - sloppy skills early but he had a good game. Finished off ok. Has some great skills when on.
Gibbons - did nothing. Not quick enough for that role to be elite IMO.
Plowman - did alright in his usual lock down role.
Dow - Don't rate him. Not hard enough at it, can't kick. Needs to be playing reserves until he looks like being a reasonable midfielder. If reserves were playing that is. Not his position but he did have shots, just can't kick.
McGovern - did some nice things, but he's not a key position player. More leading and marking from him. Like Riewoldt does.
Silvagni - liked his game. Kicked 2, could have kicked more. Plays with effort.
Setterfield - didn't turn up. Disappointing performance. Did absolutely nothing.
Kreuzer - injured.

Pros
Midfield and backline was good. Won possessions and inside 50s. Clearances were good.

Could have won with a better forward line and better disposal.

Played some good physical footy at times.

Plenty of room to improve.

Cons
Disposal was a level below as was ball handling.

Missing 3 best forwards.

Got smashed early. Lazy defending.

Midfield was good but not seeing young mids step up. It's still all on Cripps, Murphy and Curnow. Walsh is better than that but it's a bit concerning. Early days but the time really is now.

We were out run. I feel they ran harder to defend and ran hard in numbers on the rebound better than us.
good summary.

i dont think our forwards marking ability was the main problem though. Mgcov dropped a couple but overall i didnt think it was too bad. jsos took a good mark and jmartin took several good marks. I don't mind the odd bomb it in long option if you don't have better options but so often this was not the case. If we had betts lurking at ground level maybe this strategy would have been a little more effective. On a few occasions our players running towards HF lowered their eyes and spotted a free player...it was great viewing. We need more of it and we should work on this at trainings every day of the week until we get some sort of cohesion b/w mids and forwards.

dont reckon that would be allowed - not a good look when other football is cancelled, lucky to get away with it for AFL games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that annoyed me was a number of times we would get a quick kick out of the centre square and gibbons man would be 5 metres in front of gibbons and gets an easy mark. To reactive by gibbons and needs to be in front.
thats a good example. but essentially a lack of coehsion between our mids and forwards was our main problem most of the night (besides from a few good entries) and has historically been the case since our rebuild started. I dont why we dont work on this and if we do why it is not improving.

I think Weiterbot should be moved to full back and Jones to halfback...Not critiicising Jones game; I like the way Jones attacks the footy and thought he did a decent job but we concede way to many goals out the back.

TDK for me, will keep up with English around the ground better due to his athleticism. Will also run and jump at the ball better when resting forward.

Levi will test English with his physicality when he swaps with TDK.

This combination is the right balance both in the ruck & resting forward.

We have no talls up forward - why wouldn't we play them both.

Pittonet to start with TDK forward and then Casboult/TDK to give him chop out.

Not sure I agree with the title of this thread - I think the margin we lost by was less than the total of goals kicked against us in red time.

While it is bloody hard to take a lot out of the game here are my observations;

1st quarter was terrible but the second was what cost us - controlled the game but unable to score then let them pile on 4 goals in 4 minutes at the end - even if we could have held the margin at 5 goals it could have made the difference.

Jack Silvagni was terrific - kicked 2.1 had another 2 taken off him (1 advantage and 1 free to Martin). Even with his missed opportunity passing to Setterfield he can hold his head high.

Weitering will be in the 40 man AA squad.
DOcherty will be better for the run - ball use first half was terrible but got better as it went.
SPS all class.
Can't wait to see Martin with more support around him up forward.
Gibbons and Dow did nothing to resolve the debate around them.
Walsh and Murphy need to use the ball better.
It was great to see we had the plans and ability to change the flow of the game.
It was great to see us being so attacking coming back into the corridor.
Happy that Fisher got going in the second half but we need that for a whole game.
Setterfield disappointed.
We need those young mids to take the next step desperately.

SPS is clear as day the Simmo replacement, hence no need to play him any longer. And I disagree with your assessment on Fish and Simmo.
My assessment was that we don't have the cattle to replace them because it has to be used to replace other worse performers first. Or do you actually rate Dow as a better player right now than fish? What about Newnes, Gibbons, Setterfield? All were worse + Fisher has shown the ability at the level, Dow and setters haven't and Newnes is (hopefully) a short term worker. As I said. Fish stays while there are others that need to drop to work on their game/ have never shown anything like what Fish has in the seniors.

HARKS' description of Murphy and "hot-potato" style of game is about right.

Funny player, our Murph. Sometimes he's like a Rolls Royce and assured with ball in hand, and sometimes he almost plays kind of hurried and panic-y.

Still, he's a veteran and we know what we get from him, good and bad. Setters is the one I really wanted to see something from, and should be about time he does so.
Forcing the issue trying to spark a comeback vs a more composed mentality is my guess. Think he gets too frantic when trying to spark something.

Apart from Krooz (I would call up TDK), I think Teague will back the group for one more week.

If Teague does back the group in, he needs to find a better balance for some of our players

Setters - Play more inside, rather than on a wing
Dow - More time at stoppages
Walsh - Back to the wing
Cuners and Gibbons - Allowed to work up the ground

If he can't find that balance, he needs to make changes

Willo for Setters
LOB for Dow
TDK for Krooz

Has anyone ever played a better first up game after being out with an ACL for 2 years than Doc? What a player and leader
He got better as the game wore on :star:

Has anyone ever played a better first up game after being out with an ACL for 2 years than Doc? What a player and leader

Understandably fumbly early and a kick off the ground that looked panicky. Loved the bit of play where he was running, looked inside, changed direction and found an option outside and hit him up perfectly. no signs of doubt in that knee (touch wood). only going to get better as well (presuming we keep playing)

I think Weiterbot should be moved to full back and Jones to halfback...Not critiicising Jones game; I like the way Jones attacks the footy and thought he did a decent job but we concede way to many goals out the back.

Marchbank would have been very handy last night..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back