Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Big men dont get any smaller during a game, Soldo was able to sit behind the ball in that last quarter and dominate.
Rotating the goal kicker JSOS with 4 mins to go and then coming back on with 2 mins to go seems a bit pointless.
A frustrated Balme/Hardwick was gold.
We all know who did and didnt play well.
Luke Hodge can commentate. Ling cant.
Confidence and trust, precious commodities, Teague allows the players to find them naturally.
Injuries can **** off.
If that was Doc first hit out how good will he be.

8. Agreed. Dow plays mid or not at all, just looks lost at HF.
9. Agreed. Setters should not play wing he should be in the middle/resting on the bench or not in the side.

These guys are not being played in their best positions.

Several guys aren't being played in their best positions because we want to have that talent on the park but if it's not working something has to be done....and I'm saying this not on the back of only one game, but for what was evident via the pre-season ones.
Of course players have to be able to adapt to some degree, but not all 'midfield only' players will adapt to becoming forwards, just because it somehow sounds easy to say.

Walsh has to be given free rein to work around the ground.
Setterfield to become Cripps' ally.
Fisher on the wing has always made sense to me.
Dow in the midfield also or playing NB's. Reckon he was only included because Betts was injured.

Williamson has to come back into this team as he provides genuine grunt along with speed.

Preseason the talk was Setterfield this, Setterfield that, Setterfield trains the house down, blah, blah.
Played like a cross between Kerridge and a busted arse. Goes to show that training doesn’t count for a lot in real game.

As for Paddy Dow. Training reports were that he was kicking the air out of it. Would be nice if he could kick it through the big sticks or give a teammate half a chance DURING A FRIGGING GAME

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several guys aren't being played in their best positions because we want to have that talent on the park but if it's not working something has to be done....and I'm saying this not on the back of only one game, but for what was evident via the pre-season ones.
Of course players have to be able to adapt to some degree, but not all 'midfield only' players will adapt to becoming forwards, just because it somehow sounds easy to say.

Dow in the midfield also or playing NB's. Reckon he was only included because Betts was injured.

Williamson has to come back into this team as he provides genuine grunt along with speed.
can you please expand on this?

Yep happy with all of that.

Now if only we were in charge.......

I don't buy into Tiges taking foot off pedal. Last year showed under DT we had the capacity to fight back from seemingly looking like being smashed and even got up in a couple.
We are very fit and we gave em a scare when we got within 15 points with 10 to play. Gutsy effort. No tall forwards, ruckman down and several players having absolute BARRY CROCKERS and still gave it a shake. Couple of selection changes, Harry back and we are looking good IMO.
Crying shame about Kruz but bring on TDK, adversity creates oppurtunity.
The train is still on the rails.... GO BLUES!!!!

Mentioned this in my rant, but the thing that gutted me last night was the players I wanted to see take a step managed to have regressed from last year. Yep it is one game but the likes of Gibbons, JSOS and Setterfield disappointed me.

Gibbons and JSOS are in no way forwards, if they can't run in the middle they honestly shouldn't be in the side. I love JSOS in particular and would love him in the guts. But he isn't a forward and cannot kick goals.

I don't buy into Tiges taking foot off pedal. Last year showed under DT we had the capacity to fight back from seemingly looking like being smashed and even got up in a couple.
We are very fit and we gave em a scare when we got within 15 points with 10 to play. Gutsy effort. No tall forwards, ruckman down and several players having absolute BARRY CROCKERS and still gave it a shake. Couple of selection changes, Harry back and we are looking good IMO.
Crying shame about Kruz but bring on TDK, adversity creates oppurtunity.
The train is still on the rails.... GO BLUES!!!!
to me it looked like they took the foot off the pedal a bit after quarter time. In saying that our intensity did increase as the game wore on. we couldn't capitalise on our efforts unfortunately and they were able to maintian their lead. In the last 10 min they got serious again and took it away..

Setterfield is a mile off being able to be Crippa’s apprentice.

I love him but he disappointed me immensely last night. He barely touched the ball and when it was his turn to chase or impact he chose the alternative. He looked like a kid on debut; timid & fumbly. He’s been in the system too long for that now.
Staggering given he was consistently described as the best track worker of our pre season.
I’m not off him but he needs to find a new level of confidence and back his ability in.

can you please expand on this?

On Fisher?

He's still a midfielder first and foremost, but will need to add more strength as he goes along but; Look at his traits -

1. Clean one possession player.
2. Slippery in traffic.
3. Good burst of speed.
4. Courageous.
5. Good penetrating kick.
6. Good vision and quick to move the ball on.

Right now his traits aren't being used to the utmost and we have this issue with several players being played out of positions they relish in.

This is why I keep stating; You don't need the most talented players on the field. You need the right blend for the jobs that are being asked of them.
i.e. Player x may be the more talented player, but player z, is the more effective forward. If so, play player z forward.

Setterfield is a mile off being able to be Crippa’s apprentice.

I love him but he disappointed me immensely last night. He barely touched the ball and when it was his turn to chase or impact he chose the alternative. He looked like a kid on debut; timid & fumbly. He’s been in the system too long for that now.
Staggering given he was consistently described as the best track worker of our pre season.
I’m not off him but he needs to find a new level of confidence and back his ability in. He wouldn’t need be getting a game in a top 8 team.

On what we've seen through games in recent weeks, he is an absolute mile off.
He's better than what we've seen so far this year. I just don't know what the issue is. Looked a beast through most of the pre-season and now looks like a lamb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back