Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude but I’d love him. Why don’t you want him to come to us? I think playing with his brother will help him flourish.

No we are not trading Dow, unless you offer us a Sydney Stack or Shai Bolton.

Apart from Krooz (I would call up TDK), I think Teague will back the group for one more week.

If Teague does back the group in, he needs to find a better balance for some of our players

Setters - Play more inside, rather than on a wing
Dow - More time at stoppages
Walsh - Back to the wing
Cuners and Gibbons - Allowed to work up the ground

If he can't find that balance, he needs to make changes

Willo for Setters
LOB for Dow
TDK for Krooz
Yeah I think keeping our half forwards at home hurt us around the stoppages as this is where they got us on the outside by pushing there’s up, it’s something we actually started to do well late last year and I’m not sure why we didnt continue, it certainly stifled Gibbons game as being the extra around stoppages is where he thrives and gives us the player outside the contest.

ok, cheers. totally agree on your latter comments.

re: fish
personally I would play him up front when not playing in the midfield. I agree with the traits you outlined but also think they should make for an effective forward and this is where we are mostly lacking atm. think we have plenty of wing options in walsh, obrien, newnes, murph, setters and potentially willo. we also seem to play guys like cas and harry along the wing positions to link up.

Had we had our complete forward set-up going, we wouldn't be experimenting with Fisher and Dow...and now Walsh playing there.

We may well continue to bomb the ball into the forward line and that won't be as bad a thing when we have -
Mckay & CCurnow involved
McGovern in form
Betts picking up the pieces.
Martin becomes acclimatises to the mechanism.
Cuningham simply by playing more football.

I really like Fisher. He'll be right.

I kind of want out recruiters to focus on recruiting players, mids especially, who are naturally hard workers and competitive, big bodied and can run.
If you don't have all these ingredients you can get exposed.

Mentioned this in a previous post, i wouldn't say Richmond's midfield is star-studded like West coast or GWS, but they are all big bodied and can run. This means they are strong in the contest, strong tacklers and spread really hard to set up forward thrusts. There's no real weakness to exploit.

Martin/Prestia/Caddy/Lambert/Cotchin/Graham etc all have these characteristics.

Our midfield is talented but very imbalanced, and not just in the age profile but the type of player.

Cripps, as beastly as he is, admits himself he's not the best runner or spreader from a contest.
Fisher, Dow & Setterfield aren't that strong in the contest and aren't exactly elite runners.
Murphy & Walsh are elite runners, and while they crack into the contest, neither are particularly strong (Walsh will probably get there in time).
One of the biggest things holding Stocker back is his lack of run...you need a high endurance if you're going to be an effective AFL midfielder.

Ed Curnow is the only one i would consider to be like Richmond's midfielders physically...big body who is strong in the contest and can run two ways all game.
spot on!

I kind of want out recruiters to focus on recruiting players, mids especially, who are naturally hard workers and competitive, big bodied and can run.
If you don't have all these ingredients you can get exposed.
Mentioned this in a previous post, i wouldn't say Richmond's midfield is star-studded like West coast or GWS, but they are all big bodied and can run. This means they are strong in the contest, strong tacklers and spread really hard to set up forward thrusts. There's no real weakness to exploit.
Martin/Prestia/Caddy/Lambert/Cotchin/Graham etc all have these characteristics.
Our midfield is talented but very imbalanced, and not just in the age profile but the type of player.

Cripps, as beastly as he is, admits himself he's not the best runner or spreader from a contest.
Fisher, Dow & Setterfield aren't that strong in the contest and aren't exactly elite runners.
Murphy & Walsh are elite runners, and while they crack into the contest, neither are particularly strong (Walsh will probably get there in time).
One of the biggest things holding Stocker back is his lack of run...you need a high endurance if you're going to be an effective AFL midfielder.

Ed Curnow is the only one i would consider to be like Richmond's midfielders physically...big body who is strong in the contest and can run two ways all game.

That's where some of the guys we have, must come through

Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker and Kemp aren't small bodied and neither will Walsh be in a year or two.

We just have to put the pieces together and as much as we're seemingly lambasting our mids right now, we didn't fare too poorly in the centre at all.

Had we had our complete forward set-up going, we wouldn't be experimenting with Fisher and Dow...and now Walsh playing there.

We may well continue to bomb the ball into the forward line and that won't be as bad a thing when we have -
Mckay & CCurnow involved
McGovern in form
Betts picking up the pieces.
Martin becomes acclimatises to the mechanism.
Cuningham simply by playing more football.

I really like Fisher. He'll be right.
f_therest described it perfectly. i want fish and some of our other mids (setters, dow and obrien) to bulk up asap. thats the only way forward imo. these players are too easily man handled and playing timid footy as a result. kennedy is but he does not seem to be too interested in that role. hopefully stocker will come through soon.

ed: and kemp of course.

also, do you know why we would not have picked up zurharr as opposed to kym leboise in the 2017 rookie draft? Im a bit puzzled as to how this draft played out.

Last edited:
That's where some of the guys we have, must come through

Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker and Kemp aren't small bodied and neither will Walsh be in a year or two.

We just have to put the pieces together and as much as we're seemingly lambasting our mids right now, we didn't fare too poorly in the centre at all.
could have been scary without cripps though. too over reliant on him.

f_therest described it perfectly. i want fish and some of our other mids (setters, dow and obrien) to bulk up asap. thats the only way forward imo. these players are too easily man handled and playing timid footy as a result. kennedy is but he does not seem to be too interested in that role. hopefully stocker will come through soon.

Do we expect Murphy to play bigger and take more pack marks ?? No - because he's not built that way !

So why do expect Fisher to play like Michael Voss - he's not built that way. He needs to play a game that suits his build and strengths.

Let guys like Ed Curnow and others do the bullocking work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defensive running really improved in the second half in the midfield and was a big reason that there scoring dried up compared to the first half, there average speed in defence was 7.6 ours was 7.5 which was a massive change from Qtr 1-2 where we where way down I think we were about 6.5, also the difference in speed in attack which was 7.9 for us and defence was a lot smaller than usual for us meaning we where working just as hard without the ball as with it.
This is a big change compared to last year when our effort when in possession was always much higher than our effort when not in possession, this is a great sign going forward and something we really needed to match the better sides in which last year we didn’t and in the first half last night we didn’t, so big tick for our work rate without the ball in the second half and in the end overall. Thank you Jack Russell

PS: Our 2 best with 2 way running where Sam Walsh 9.1 attack, 8.9 defence and ready for it Paddy Dow 9.2 attack, 8.7 defence. Meaning there running defensively was almost as hard as there running in attack, or with or without the ball. Doesn’t mean they ran to the right spot or effected the play just ran hard both ways.

Last edited:
also, do you know why we would not have picked up zurharr as opposed to kym leboise in the 2017 rookie draft? Im a bit puzzled as to how this draft played out.

At least LeBois was worth a shot at, being a type we needed. It didn't work out and so be it.
It's the picking up types we didn't need and never stood a chance that had me bewildered.

At least last year we took Honey & Phillips and they are types that should development be good, something may come from those selections.

Do we expect Murphy to play bigger and take more pack marks ?? No - because he's not built that way !

So why do expect Fisher to play like Michael Voss - he's not built that way. He needs to play a game that suits his build and strengths.

Let guys like Ed Curnow and others do the bullocking work.
how would bulking up a little be detrimental to his game though? its a physical game regardless where you play. strength and a bit of bulk would only give them more confidence.

Mentioned this in my rant, but the thing that gutted me last night was the players I wanted to see take a step managed to have regressed from last year. Yep it is one game but the likes of Gibbons, JSOS and Setterfield disappointed me.

Gibbons and JSOS are in no way forwards, if they can't run in the middle they honestly shouldn't be in the side. I love JSOS in particular and would love him in the guts. But he isn't a forward and cannot kick goals.

??? SOS kicked 2 goals from limited chances. He wasn't Steve Kernahan but he wasn’t terrible. Agree with you on Setterfield - stinking game from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how would bulking up a little be detrimental to his game though? its a physical game regardless where you play. strength and a bit of bulk would only give them more confidence.
Yes but also gives them more weight to carry around thereby affecting how well they can cover the ground especially late in games.

I actually don’t really see the point. Fisher might have been a decent contested player as a junior, where he could just use his read. At AFL level he is far too small to impact as an inside mid and is a career outside midfielder. The coaching group need to realise this and play him on a wing and off a forward flank, where he is most effective.

His biggest asset is his footskills, so why are we expecting to scrap at the stoppages? It’s insane.

Setterfield now has bulked up, yet he’s playing as a go between, usually far out from any stoppage. Why is this? He’s an inside mid who at best can pinch hit on a flank. This was justified as he was coming back from an ACL, but is becoming increasingly pointless after a full pre-season training with the midfield group. Not to mention he was drafted on the back of being an exceptional inside midfielder.

LOB doesn’t need bulk, he needs to gametime in the seniors. At best he will pinch hit at the stoppages.

Papley will no doubt be our number one target at the end of the year, but will also have to strongly consider putting in a big offer for Brad Crouch who’s not only a strong inside mid, but very capable linking up on the outside. I don’t think there’s any other gaps beyond those two obvious areas of improvement.

I actually don’t really see the point. Fisher might have been a decent contested player as a junior, where he could just use his read. At AFL level he is far too small to impact as an inside mid and is a career outside midfielder. The coaching group need to realise this and play him on a wing and off a forward flank, where he is most effective.

His biggest asset is his footskills, so why are we expecting to scrap at the stoppages? It’s insane.

Setterfield now has bulked up, yet he’s playing as a go between, usually far out from any stoppage. Why is this? He’s an inside mid who at best can pinch hit on a flank. This was justified as he was coming back from an ACL, but is becoming increasingly pointless after a full pre-season training with the midfield group. Not to mention he was drafted on the back of being an exceptional inside midfielder.

LOB doesn’t need bulk, he needs to gametime in the seniors. At best he will pinch hit at the stoppages.

Papley will no doubt be our number one target at the end of the year, but will also have to strongly consider putting in a big offer for Brad Crouch who’s not only a strong inside mid, but very capable linking up on the outside. I don’t think there’s any other gaps beyond those two obvious areas of improvement.
I don’t think the coaches are expecting Fish to scrap at the stoppages in fact I’m sure they would prefer him to be on the outside receiving, however Fish as you say did play as an inside mid in juniors and tends to get sucked into the stoppages when he should probably stay out, the other problem I’ve noticed with Fish lately is his defensive work has become very poor gets lost in traffic far to often and let’s his man get away to receive a running handball and then doesn’t chase or cover another man, this for me is more concerning as it is something he was good at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back