Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not worried about setterfield as a player long term, will be a very good player. Just doesn't seem to be in form at the moment.

Those saying he shouldn't play wing, he and O'Brien were wing for most the year last year and setters played great footy on the wing. I just think it's a form thing, I'd be telling him to just run more.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
It’s Setterfield’s intent that I find worrying. I though he had a good year last year coming back from an ACL and I was looking forward to see his progress this year. He put in some poor efforts in preseason against Freo and he just didn’t show any intent last night. I know he played in a tough position, I’m not so worried about stats because there’s only so many disposals a team can have and those playing forward won’t get as much. He just isn’t attacking the contest like I want to see.

We desperately need to get Cuningham and Silvagni involved more, both do good things, but both don't get enough of the ball, Jack could of had another goal and he put himself in good spots, but to take his game to another level, i think he needs to find the ball more.
Would love to see cuningham get 20 touches a game - reckon he could do damage

Cripps (as per normal), Weitering, Martin, SPS and Casboult were the standouts for me. I thought SPS was excellent, he set up so much good play with a cool head. I guess they like his distribution off half back but I wouldn’t mind seeing him play some midfield. I was hoping Setterfield would be standing up there, but not yet.

Cripps (as per normal), Weitering, Martin, SPS and Casboult were the standouts for me. I thought SPS was excellent, he set up so much good play with a cool head. I guess they like his distribution off half back but I wouldn’t mind seeing him play some midfield. I was hoping Setterfield would be standing up there, but not yet.

the reality is that other than Cripps, SPS is the only one of our young players who has proved he can win a game of football from the midfield (first game against the Dogs last year). I can see why you want him back in there.

Lots of people potting dow forgetting he still doesn't turn 21 even till October
While Dows overall performance was well below where it needs to be, although his second half was better than his first, he is being played out of position and struggles to stay involved in that position, the positive was his tracking numbers which definitely showed an increased work rate and fitness levels which have been the biggest thing holding him back.

I think based on his tracking data that he can definitely be used in the middle a lot more this year and I’m not sure why he wasn’t given any midfield time at all, I hope he is given another chance next week as long as they give him a 60/40 midfield/forward role which they should as I think he showed, especially in Marsh 2, that his burst from the stoppage is a weapon and that he can definitely be very affective especially in short sharp bursts.

They need to start slowly adding these guys into the mix Setters, Dow, Fish and Walsh need to be rotating through there every game even if it is one at a time with the other 2 being either Cripps and Ed or Murph, it needs to start now, we have gone from one extreme with Bolts playing all young guys to Teague just playing the senior boys has no one at the club heard of balance.

the reality is that other than Cripps, SPS is the only one of our young players who has proved he can win a game of football from the midfield (first game against the Dogs last year). I can see why you want him back in there.
Would love his ball use running towards out forward 50

I really liked McGovern’s game, he dropped a few he would normally take (usually has excellent hands), had a goal taken from him with a free kick to SOS right next to him. He played a good a good role and will be a big asset this year I feel.
If we can get a fit forward line, imagine him as the 3rd tall and fit

It is a bit concerning...doesn't look to have improved much physically since he was drafted.
Doesn't seem any stronger or faster. Not sure about endurance but no obvious improvement.

He actually stood out last night as looking like the weakest player on the field physically.

When Dow is chasing defensively he never seems to gain any ground on his opponent...they just power away from him.
I think Russell has really concentrated on getting them really fit and covering the ground well for 4 quarters, once he has them at a really high endurance level then he can start slowly adding some size, if you look at Obi4 who has a really good endurance base Russell has added size to him over pre season as he can handle carrying the extra size without losing to much on the endurance side, where as Dows greatest need was fitness/endurance which as I have said in other posts I think he has really improved and I’m sure as the year goes on and there match fitness improves he will start adding some size. That’s my take on it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeap SPS has to play onball

Some interesting posts, let's consider a few things

Tigers would rank as the best side over the last 3 years. Had one best 22 missing in Houli

We had 3 forwards out, arguably would be starting players in any/most sides. Lost our ruckman early ish, which disrupted our forward setup

We lost by 4 goals

While Teague has some tinkering to do, think we will have a season where we will rise up the ladder

Last edited:

Tigers would rank as the best side over the last 3 years. Had one best 22 missing in Houli

We had 3 forwards out, arguably would be starting players in any/most sided. Lost our ruckman early ish, which disrupted our forward setup

We lost by 4 goals

While Teague has some tinkering to do, think we will have a season where we will rise up the ladder
...and we have more upside from a hand full of down players last night.

Missing our two best forwards is huge, not only are both coming in to really good years but both allow Mcgovern to be the role player he is and not a main focal point, they allow Silvagni a lot more freedom and provide a focal point for kicks down the line out of defence and a target for the mids to go through from a clearance. The flow on effect is huge.

Whilst they will make a massive difference, they will not increase our tackling numbers, our smarts with ball in hand and our delivery in to the forward 50.

Last night there were a lot of positives and there are factors as to why we could have been better with different personal, but we are carrying too many passengers who are supposed to be ball winners, who we won't be able to replace with big forwards when they return. These guys need to do better.

We had 3 forwards out, arguably would be starting players in any/most sides. Lost our ruckman early ish, which disrupted our forward setup

We lost by 4 goals

Agree. Despite all the naysaying about certain players in the midfield (and I'm in no way disagreeing) - we did for mine exceed expectations in center clearances in the game. Smashed them early.

Has anyone ever played a better first up game after being out with an ACL for 2 years than Doc? What a player and leader

Ripping game. Thought he definitely looked shaky early - there were a few really poor disposals. Then I think late first quarter he had a MASSIVE crunching tackle. That seemed to settle him down and get him right back into the speed of the game.

Dow might have taken responsibility to have his set shots but he looked anything but confident, could see by the facial expressions he was concerned for the result.

Looked to pass the ball off quickly both times - had that peak not at the sticks but to see if there were other forward options...

All things considered I'm curious what everyone thought of the Cuningham matchup on Dylan Grimes - they were matched up a fair bit. While watching live, was wondering if that was a Carlton gameplan to play him as more of a defensive player on one of their key defenders?

Yep Pittonet is better ATM. We had/have the chance to "blood" TDK. We need(ed) another forward target. Levi has become huge for the team, McGovern
better serves the team as a utility drifting forward rather than a focal point. His new body shape combined with natural athleticism lends itself to half forward, even wing drifting forward when there is a mismatch.

ATM TDK has more value as a forward than dedicated ruck, could play in tandem with Pit/MK pending return of Harry. Missed one opportunity. Conversely could be played in tandem with Levi as a makeshift ruck/forward combo.

Love Teaguey, but starting to think he is the anti-Bolts, not affording enough opportunity to the kids, as opposed to too much.
I'd bring in both Pittonet and TDK next week, the way to beat the bulldogs is with big marking forwards, we saw that twice last year.

I'm kind of in this boat, would try to see if I can bring in a little extra height this week no matter what against the Bulldogs. If Pittonet is on the bench, Levi in the ruck, you'd still have a TDK/McGovern/JSOS forward line for your 3 talls, which seems sufficient to me. Just wonder how the rest of the rotations pan out then.

How interesting is it that last year we had a dearth of key defenders at times and threw Levi there out of necessity? Now this year I think he plays forward out of necessity. What a phenomenal player and so key for us. Ought to be a single club player!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back