Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

davies is going to be a star!
You could argue Davies actually sealed the win for us. Game was in the balance with 4 minutes to go and Davies gathered a ground ball inside 50 which he then snaps for goal. A minute or so later he comes up with a crucial goal assist. Two massive late plays while the game was in the balance.

Let's keep in mind this kid was 19 years old just two days ago! Huge future ahead for Davies.

You could argue Davies actually sealed the win for us. Game was in the balance with 4 minutes to go and Davies gathered a ground ball inside 50 which he then snaps for goal. A minute or so later he comes up with a crucial goal assist. Two massive late plays while the game was in the balance.

Let's keep in mind this kid was 19 years old just two days ago! Huge future ahead for Davies.
Feel like Davies is definitely an upgrade on Greenwood.

Nah wouldn't be going that far.
Hugh is a contested machine. Davies has a long way to go to match him in that department
Not that it means anything, and I say this more than a little humerously, but Davies had one more contested possession than Greenwood this week and two more tackles.

Obviously has work to do to be the same type of bull as Greenwood, but his future has a lot of upside and he could be a long-term player for us. Davies has definitely risen a few ranks in my eyes.

Davies doesn’t need to be an inside bull, we already one of the best inside bull in Matt Rowell.

Need Davies to turn into pendles, that composure with the ball and rarely get caught holding the ball

Any win in perth is a good win. You're playing more than 18 men haha.. So take it.

They did fight back after that first half, even after it was a shoot out. But in the end, just broke the eagles. Its wins like this on the road that matter; no matter who the opposition are fielding out there.

And because the suns play melb next weekend, this is why this win is so important. Starting with a win.

Rankine seems to be finally finding his feet. 23 disposals, 4 goals.
Rowell's best game.
Many other forward contributors .

If they actually converted all their opportunities, it should have been a much bigger margin.

Just on the Rowell Rioli incident
David King went to town on it in the Fox post match
It was pretty unbelievable to hear the commentators at the ground praising Rioli!
One guy in that contest was courageous and he wasn't playing for West Coast
I think they were so caught up in the good news story of his comeback they failed to see the thuggery of his action
Byron Pickett was finally rubbed out of the game forever because he did exactly the same thing as Rioli was doing tonight
Using his body as a battering ram
Robinson from Brisbane should be told what he does is totally unacceptable too
Of course little dogs like Fagan continue to play these guys because the AFL is so weak when it comes to policing these legitimised thugs they know they can get away with it week after week
We can't make celebrating these guys' actions be an"I've got a big dick too-that's why I like it" thing

EiMwzHQ.gif

Obviously pumped with Rowell, miller, witts. Encouraging signs from rankine, Davies, ballard. Disappointed with dmac, swallow, Ellis and sharp. We got very little from our wings and wonder if swallow would be better in dmacs spot and markov at half back.

Nice to see Ainsworth be a bit of an ice man tonight, has been close to the opposite in the past
He has definitely changed his set shot run up from last year.

Previously a big arc to the right and often sliced his kicks usually missing to the right.

Run up was noticeably straighter at the target - not surprisingly with good results!

Obviously pumped with Rowell, miller, witts. Encouraging signs from rankine, Davies, ballard. Disappointed with dmac, swallow, Ellis and sharp. We got very little from our wings and wonder if swallow would be better in dmacs spot and markov at half back.
I had the same thought regarding Swallow. His tackles and pressure were down. Think our wingers were taken out of the game. Didn’t see a lot of run and carry for much of the night, so it didn’t look very open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Levi probably played his role a little too well if anything. We want those long kicks in generating scoring shots, but ideally not from the big man himself. Just bring it to ground. Although hard not to infringe him, the bloke is a unit. And 2.1 with a couple of shanks is probably at the better end of conversion we will see from him.

I know WC were undermanned but it seemed like some of their players knew that they were only selected because of outs and played their guts out. We looked a bit rusty but didn't drop our heads when it got hard like years gone by so Im stoked at that.

Yup. This kid was a legit game winner. He reminded me a bit of a young Paul Chapman. Hard, but silky and knows a moment.

It's pretty exciting to think that we've got Ben King, Elijah Hollands, Mac Andrew, Jack Bowes, Sam Flanders, Connor Budarick that will come into the team in weeks - years to come.

Wosh why don't you come in here and let everyone know how you feel about the game last night.

Show everyone your pretty avatar.

I have to say reading some comments during the game - just wow.

As for the game, I would be happy for 1 point victory. Just happy for any win. It's tough to win in Perth regardless of opposition team.

Eagles brought great pressure, senior players played well, players who got opportunity tried hard, had energy.

When Suns were down 23 points I had some doubts. Credit to players they grinded it out.

Yes, some jitters, some kicks, decisions were pretty bad. Lemmens, Ainsworth blasted the ball to nowhere on multiple occasions, Collins made some bad mistakes, panicked a couple of times.

Witts was again better than I expected him to be after ACL. He looks in best shape he ever was. He was even trying to chase Rioli :) My heart stopped when he was laying on the ground. We physically dominated as game progressed, just could not again convert easy opportunities especially early. Some missed set-shots were shockers. When the game was on the line - Ainsworth delivered. Davies is joy to watch - a lot of promise.

Best - Witts, Powell was unbelievable, Rowell and Miller were great. Ballard is our best tall defender. It looks like half-arsed Rankine was pretty good :p. Love watching Holman.

I would like to see Lukosius more involved. Yes, Flanders is better option for me. It could be even Atkins over Sharp.

I am still pissed off that Rioli bump on Rowell was not even free. If AFL is serious about protecting head, it should be 2 weeks. Lions Robinson the same.

Boys, bring it to Demons.

Last edited:
How do we rate Mabior Chol and Jack Lukosius' game?

My thoughts.

For Chol
8 possessions, 1 mark, 2 goals, 7 hit outs, 1 tackle inside 50 which lead to a match sealing goal.
Didn't get outmarked by McGovern/Barrass often at all.

It's by no means world breaking but I thought he showed some positive signs. Competed hard in the air - just didn't stick everything.
Really should have held 1 or 2 of those other marks he was half on the end of. The one that bounced off his chest 30m out directly in front in the 3rd quarter especially should have lead to a shot on goal.

If he manages to hang on to a few of those chances stats are 11 possessions, 4 marks, 3 goals which is damn good for a forward / ruck back up.
Thought his rucking was pretty average - but you're just looking to split the contest as a back up.

For Luko
12 possessions, 5 marks (1 contested pack mark), 3 set shots, 6 score involvements, 1 great tackle leading to Casboult shot on goal.

Need him to finish those set shots a little better, but if he is taking 3 marks inside 50 every game this year - I think we can pencil in ~35-40 goals for the season. You know when he has ball in hand ~80m out from goal, there is a good chance we are getting a kick to advantage with a high chance of set shot coming up. Also fairly happy with how he went in his first game up forward for a few years.

Agree with everything you said except I wasn’t disappointed with Spitta. Thought he just did what he had to do, was safe with ball in hand and provided a good replacement for Bowes. Thought the wings got taken out of it because of how a large majority of the match was played. Markov in and Swallow to a HFF to replace DMac is a good option.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back