Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like half-arsed Rankine was pretty good :p
Cheeky!
He did play a great game. The best of his career pretty much.

Found space and plenty of ball and most importantly converted his chances on this occasion.
5 marks inside 50 is great.
17 pressure acts is decent from a small forward.

Gave them a goal with the 50m penalty which is one negative.

I expect this is the kind of game Izak to thrive in - our midfield is on top, ball movement is pretty fast.

Lets see him make this the new baseline (not necessarily to kick 4 goals every week)

But
  • to remain dangerous and regularly involved when we are on top in the midfield and can move the ball with speed.
  • And in games where the play is a lot slower and we are not on top, he needs to make sure he stays involved - get up the field a bit to get his hands on the ball, win a free kick for a high tackle, take most of the opportunities.

Happy for him, great start in round 1. Let's see him go again.

Wosh why don't you come in here and let everyone know how you feel about the game last night.

Show everyone your pretty avatar.
Feel this, friend 🖕🏻

0C43E190-59CB-4FFE-A50F-B2E3184DA842.gif

Hey it could have been a lot worse, I could be wearing Brereton in budgie smugglers zackah :$

How do we rate Mabior Chol and Jack Lukosius' game?

My thoughts.

For Chol
8 possessions, 1 mark, 2 goals, 7 hit outs, 1 tackle inside 50 which lead to a match sealing goal.
Didn't get outmarked by McGovern/Barrass often at all.

It's by no means world breaking but I thought he showed some positive signs. Competed hard in the air - just didn't stick everything.
Really should have held 1 or 2 of those other marks he was half on the end of. The one that bounced off his chest 30m out directly in front in the 3rd quarter especially should have lead to a shot on goal.

If he manages to hang on to a few of those chances stats are 11 possessions, 4 marks, 3 goals which is damn good for a forward / ruck back up.
Thought his rucking was pretty average - but you're just looking to split the contest as a back up.

For Luko
12 possessions, 5 marks (1 contested pack mark), 3 set shots, 6 score involvements, 1 great tackle leading to Casboult shot on goal.

Need him to finish those set shots a little better, but if he is taking 3 marks inside 50 every game this year - I think we can pencil in ~35-40 goals for the season. You know when he has ball in hand ~80m out from goal, there is a good chance we are getting a kick to advantage with a high chance of set shot coming up. Also fairly happy with how he went in his first game up forward for a few years.
Didn't think either of them had a good game, lukosius got better as the game went on, got his hands on it, took that ripper of a mark. I think he'll make it as a forward. There was a time there where I thought we could have swung him back to help get it out of defence but I'm glad Dew held his nerve.

Chol dropped 3 chest marks inside 50, I thought he was quite bad. Had 2 leaps at the ball which were impressive but not a good game.

Only rd 1 though, happy to see how they go. Our inability to capitalize was hidden by our midfield dominance, we probably won't have that this week so we'll see what we need to fix up.

Agree with everything you said except I wasn’t disappointed with Spitta. Thought he just did what he had to do, was safe with ball in hand and provided a good replacement for Bowes. Thought the wings got taken out of it because of how a large majority of the match was played. Markov in and Swallow to a HFF to replace DMac is a good option.

+1

It's pretty exciting to think that we've got Ben King, Elijah Hollands, Mac Andrew, Jack Bowes, Sam Flanders, Connor Budarick that will come into the team in weeks - years to come.
And Hollands, Flanders, Budarick and Bowes will all play AFL footy this year! Andrew may even get a chance at some point in 2022. That's literally four extra top 10 picks to come into the fold and an academy standout who we all love in Budarick. Don't forget Joel Jeffrey either! Just missing Ben King in terms of injured high end talent on our list.

Our list is actually stacked with first round talent:
  1. Jack Bowes (pick 10, 2016)
  2. Brandon Ellis (pick 15, 2011)
  3. Alex Davies (first rounder, 2020)
  4. Ben Ainsworth (pick 4, 2016)
  5. Sam Day (pick 3, 2010)
  6. Jack Lukosius (pick 2, 2018)
  7. Lachie Weller (pick 13, 2014)
  8. Noah Anderson (pick 2, 2019)
  9. Matt Rowell (pick 1, 2019)
  10. Izak Rankine (pick 3, 2018)
  11. David Swallow (pick 1, 2010)
  12. Sam Flanders (pick 11, 2019)
  13. Will Powell (pick 19, 2017)
  14. Mac Andrew (pick 5, 2021)
  15. Ben King (pick 6, 2018)
  16. Elijah Hollands (pick 7, 2020)
  17. Joel Jeffrey (first rounder, 2020)
We did our time towards the bottom of the ladder and now we literally have 17 first round picks on our list, 11 of which were top 10 picks. Excitingly, nearly all of those guys are already in our best 22 despite still being pretty young. We have a very bright future!

How do we rate Mabior Chol and Jack Lukosius' game?
Chol kicked two goals but probably should have had four or five with the amount of almost marks he dropped. Mabs will be really exciting once he gets that part of his game down pat!

I also felt Luko could have kicked another goal or two but in fairness to him it was really his first proper AFL game as a forward so I can deal with the single goal return and six score involvements for now but I want more from him going forward.

Don't forget Joel Jeffrey either!

Chol kicked two goals but probably should have had four or five with the amount of almost marks he dropped. Mabs will be really exciting once he gets that part of his game down pat!

I also felt Luko could have kicked another goal or two but in fairness to him it was really his first proper AFL game as a forward so I can deal with the single goal return and six score involvements for now but I want more from him going forward.
Yes, Missed out Jeffrey.
Was wondering where he fits in with King, Chol, Lukosius - We can probably play him as well given he is quite good at ground level.

Lukosius playing higher up the field, Jeffrey playing deep.

Willie Rioli gets 1 week with an early plea, rated as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact, High Contact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He took the big flags that SUNS had made only issue was he had problems erecting the flags :drunk:
Interesting, Usually you don't struggle with that until much later in life.

Shout out to my friend Big Red Machine
Terrific win and well deserved! The stuff I said in your email…

View attachment 1350520

Thanks, friend! Very gracious of you to come down and show off your new avatar - You guys put up a hell of a fight with the soldiers you had. Had me packing it for most of the game.

Don't stress about the email, Having to deal with Flashy is punishment enough :tearsofjoy:

Interesting, Usually you don't struggle with that until much later in life.

Thanks, friend! Very gracious of you to come down and show off your new avatar - You guys put up a hell of a fight with the soldiers you had. Had me packing it for most of the game.

Don't stress about the email, Having to deal with Flashy is punishment enough :tearsofjoy:

yeah!

heyyyyyyyy!

Was the highest scoring round from centre bounces since the 6-6-6 rule was introduced, and we were the highest scoring team from that area. I think West coasts inexperienced midfield would have helped that but the return of witts is huge. Still an underrated ruckman I reckon and just hope he stays fit 🙏

Was the highest scoring round from centre bounces since the 6-6-6 rule was introduced, and we were the highest scoring team from that area. I think West coasts inexperienced midfield would have helped that but the return of witts is huge. Still an underrated ruckman I reckon and just hope he stays fit 🙏
It's just amazing to see how much better we are with a competent ruckman in our lineup. Possibly a 3-4 goal better team with Wittsy and if you look at the amount of games we lost by under 2 goals last year (5) then you could go as far as to say we probably would have played finals if Witts had stayed healthy. We certainly would have been competing for a top 8 spot late in the season.

I know West Coast's midfield was compromised but scoring the most goals from centre bounces of any team in the competition has to fill us with confidence in the game plan. It shows a certain level of efficiency that I don't think we've ever seen before, with the one exception perhaps being when Gary Ablett Jr would completely take over a game and win every ball. Last year we had guys with low disposal efficiency like Greenwood who would win the ball and just hack it forward but that would often result in a turnover or the ball spilling over the boundary line.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if there were any other teams we were yet to beat in away games and the answer is we've never beaten Adelaide, Essendon or Geelong in away games. That might seem bad but I looked at GWS for comparison and they've never beaten Hawthorn or Richmond in away games either (bizarrely the Giants have never beaten North at home...) and they've won many more games than us over the last decade so it's not unreasonable to have never beaten three teams in away fixtures. The one team we've never beaten at home is Port Adelaide if anyone is wondering. We'll get an opportunity to pick up another first time away win against Essendon in round 18 at Marvel Stadium. Although we've beaten GWS in Canberra a few times, we'll get a shot at picking up our first ever win at the Sydney Showgrounds next weekend.

Isolating at home COVID positive so had a chance to watch the replay. Commentators made so much of the Eagles outs losing 1449 games of experience, but interestingly, when I tallied up the respective teams average number of games and years in the AFL system it was -
Eagles - 92 games / 7.55 years
Suns - 78 games / 6.32 years

Eagles actually more experienced than we were!! Another year or two into this group and we could really be on the up and playing finals :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back