Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Dew has put a line through secco’s name for years due to his defensive output, and that rarely changes.

Very rarely do small forwards actually consistently kick goals, yet Sexton continues to almost kick 1 a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, I think when someones scoreboard impact is so great we can afford to carry someone defensively. Maybe hoping Ranks can step up into that power scoring role

Don't like Dmac over Sexton or Flanders.
Agreed. I’ve been pretty vocal about this. Seems so have a few others.

Defensive pressure means zip if we don’t hit the scoreboard. It just means we lose momentum when we kick behind after behind until the opponents eventually waltz it down for a goal and turn the game while our players are tiered from all that tackling and chasing. Yay.

When one of our smalls consistently kicks over a goal a game or has over 40 goals for the year, then I will give them Sexton’s spot.

Fact is Sexton can kick goals. We don’t normally kick goals. We then lost our leading goal kicker… but we don’t play our next two best goal kickers: Sexton (our most experienced forward and one of our most experienced players in general) and Corbett (our best marker). Surely one of them could make it in?

I’m ok with our talls. Chol, Luko and Casboult all offer something different, potentially. But our only legit crumbing forward with any actual goal sense is Rankine. Ainsworth plays higher up the ground (and loves a behind). Holman and DMac can kick a goal, sometimes.

Furthermore, Ben King not being in our top 10 BnF just shows we didn’t value goals in a team that finished last for goals scored; seems we only value tackles and pressure. We need to be able to flip our focus between defence and offence or we’ll never have the real pressure: scoreboard pressure.

C’mon Gold Coast. Kick the winning score!

Agreed. I’ve been pretty vocal about this. Seems so have a few others.

Defensive pressure means zip if we don’t hit the scoreboard. It just means we lose momentum when we kick behind after behind until the opponents eventually waltz it down for a goal and turn the game while our players are tiered from all that tackling and chasing. Yay.

When one of our smalls consistently kicks over a goal a game or has over 40 goals for the year, then I will give them Sexton’s spot.

Fact is Sexton can kick goals. We don’t normally kick goals. We then lost our leading goal kicker… but we don’t play our next two best goal kickers: Sexton (our most experienced forward and one of our most experienced players in general) and Corbett (our best marker). Surely one of them could make it in?

I’m ok with our talls. Chol, Luko and Casboult all offer something different, potentially. But our only legit crumbing forward with any actual goal sense is Rankine. Ainsworth plays higher up the ground (and loves a behind). Holman and DMac can kick a goal, sometimes.

Furthermore, Ben King not being in our top 10 BnF just shows we didn’t value goals in a team that finished last for goals scored; seems we only value tackles and pressure. We need to be able to flip our focus between defence and offence or we’ll never have the real pressure: scoreboard pressure.

C’mon Gold Coast. Kick the winning score!
We haven't even played a game yet, why are you so mad?

We haven't even played a game yet, why are you so mad?
Fair enough. I guess it was a bit of a rant. Call it an end of work week vent and I’m glad it’s the weekend :)

I do think this team is one of the strongest we have fielded in a long time and I’m optimistic about what they can do. Our mids and talls are looking good and defence is a tight unit. I just want us to score goals for once. Pre-season was promising though.

This year we have a pretty fit and healthy team, so someone will miss out. But I look at our IC and wonder if players like DMac, who we tried to trade out, are best 22 in round 1. Didn’t think he did as much as he would have wanted to in the pre-season either.

Hope he has a blinder on the weekend and make me look like a fool.

I don't think anyone here like Dmac because obviously he's peaked.

But he does enough to get into the best 22 so lets get around em hey

B: S.Hurn 187cm T.Barrass 196cm J.Rotham 193cm
HB: J.Nelson 187cm - J.McGovern 196cm L.Foley 188cm
C: S.Petrevski-Seton - Redden - Z.Langdon
HF: J.Petruccelle - H.Dixon 196cm W.Rioli
F: J.Jones - J.Kennedy 196cm - J.Waterman 191cm
Foll: N.Naitanui 201cm - X.O'Neill - A.Gaff
I/C: B.Hough - P.Naish - H.Edwards 200cm - B.Williams 199cm

Very tall team.

Wish Dmac all the best for the weekend but im in the Flanders / Secco camp as well.

Main knock on Dmac is his errors with ball in hand. I counted 4/5 decent errors when he was around ball to 1 play on the eastern wing which he won v Geelong the other week. Flanders has a bit more class and versatility and more of a ceiling.

WC going to try to play keepings off while were going for high pressure and running style..Hope we turn up. Cant wait!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very tall team.
Watch us send every inside 50 on top of Casboult’s head still and concede a record number of intercept marks.

Very tall team.

This is exactly why Sexton should be playing, we all know how much he loves crumbing goals, he’s got one of the best snaps in the game from a crumb off one step. His ability to capitalise on the ball once it hits the deck is second to none. He could easily kick 3 if he was playing this weekend.

Can’t believe we didn’t go with sexton. He’s the only one that can kick goals of our poor f50 entries
But DMac's defensive qualities
Locking it in so....ummm....so....well so someone can kick a goal
I really dislike DMac as a footballer.
Everything I dislike about modern football encapsulated in 1 player
He is your Exhibit A Moneyball selection

Final side

B:24. David Swallow25. Sam Collins23. Sean Lemmens
HB:14. Lachie Weller10. Charlie Ballard27. Wil Powell
C:20. Jeremy Sharp11. Touk Miller4. Brandon Ellis
HF:7. Nick Holman30. Levi Casboult13. Jack Lukosius
F:22. Izak Rankine1. Mabior Chol9. Ben Ainsworth
FOLL:28. Jarrod Witts18. Matt Rowell15. Noah Anderson
INT:5. Alex Davies8. Brayden Fiorini46. Caleb Graham
44. Darcy Macpherson
EMG:29. Chris Burgess26. Sam Flanders49. Ned Moyle
6. Alex Sexton

Hope Levi plays a steady game and builds . Go well suns .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back