Autopsy Round 10, 2023: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good point.
It’s so much better to see the whole ground live. I love Hilly but I didn’t see all of the good stuff you mentioned and just got frustrated by what looked like a lot of half hearted chasing. So probably owe him an apology.
I do love the obvious connection he has with NAS on the ground.

To add to this, the camera work was appalling. We clearly got the trainee cameraman in the graveyard slot
Don’t even get me started on the camera work this year. They’re obsessed with zooming in and you can’t see anything, drives me nuts.

Too early to put a ceiling on him afaic.
Let him get through the rest of the season without an injury and we’ll have a much better idea. I’m bullish on him - a very clever player.
He offers something different from the other mids.

Reminiscent of L Ball, seems to have had speed and endurance as a youngster but lost it somehow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-22-20-25-05-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-22-20-25-05-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 73

If King averaged 3-4 goals a game with some 5-6 goal games he'd kick close to 100 goals a year. Seems like some pretty big expectations there but I for one support this.
I don’t find it unrealistic. Just look at curnow and Cameron. If they don’t kick AT LEAST 3 a game it’s quite sad. And 3 goals is really just about par from what you’d want from them in a game. 5 goals aren’t mind blowing just “they played well”

It’s 8+ where you really are impressed

Reminiscent of L Ball, seems to have had speed and endurance as a youngster but lost it somehow.

Think he had a lot of osteitis pubis - which doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore.

One thing to work on - we take a lot of low-percentage shots from shallow inside 50 entries.

Like did anyone actually think Gresh was going to kick that set shot from 50? Including him? Should have been a pass or a kick to the hot spot or something.

Clark as well from around the same spot. And same with a couple of those shots (Higgins and King I think?) from the boundary around 50.

I reckon they need to get a bit better at deciding those are too hard and finding another pass.
Despite missing I think he’s done some work on his run up and ball drop. He used to be horrible.
The shot didn’t miss by that much.

hopefully, Owens is only out for 1 match.
One more game and then a bye, so that gives him a decent break. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

Despite missing I think he’s done some work on his run up and ball drop. He used to be horrible.
The shot didn’t miss by that much.
Speaking of run ups to goal, Kingy definitely seems to have reduced the ball spinning on the way in. It’s still there, but not as much as before.

Hope so to but it’s his second concussion and he missed quite a few weeks after the Brisbane game last year.

This kid will be a superstar but hopefully he can also be just a little smarter & not so brave all the time.
Hard to be smart when you’ve got two hands pushing you in the back and accidentally into a knee.

Too early to put a ceiling on him afaic.
Let him get through the rest of the season without an injury and we’ll have a much better idea. I’m bullish on him - a very clever player.
He offers something different from the other mids.

Yeah agree on all that, I hope you're right! Just saying that he seems to be tracking lower than I'd hoped at this point.

Don’t even get me started on the camera work this year. They’re obsessed with zooming in and you can’t see anything, drives me nuts.
Rememebr when u could chose the camera angle on fox in the early days
I miss that
Would just put it on wide view and you saw so much more
Could also turn off commentary and chosse ump mic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a fan of his for a while but Jesus Christ do we need a replacement for doogs.
He panics so often and *s things up.
And when he stuffs up, he deflates and makes more mistakes.
At least 2 goals per game come directly from his stuff ups I reckon.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
You would probably see 2 goals per game from most full backs stuff ups. Doogs just has a way of looking really bad when he does it.

Rememebr when u could chose the camera angle on fox in the early days
I miss that
Would just put it on wide view and you saw so much more
Could also turn off commentary and chosse ump mic
One of the women in our reserved seats group would get the umpires commentary at the ground, don't know if that is offered any more.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 50m penalty paid to Webster was an interesting one.
Umpire was asking Brent to come back 2 metres. Problem was, Brent was not on the mark.
I believe it was Xavier. You would hate for a game to be decided by this error.
Maybe they just need to call out the player's number rather than the player's name.

Watched the replay last night.

1. Thought Stocker had a very good game. My only thought with Ross’ comments in the presser is that he does not want him to get ahead of himself. He did similar in a presser early on when a journo commented that someone ( can’t remember who) was “awesome” and RTB really downplayed that, saying he wasn’t awesome. Could have been Caminiti?

2. How on earth do the afl allow a game on a ground like that? Lucky there weren’t knee, leg injuries.

3. Watching it unemotionally we were better than I thought - with obvious midfield improvement needed. Ross hmmm.

4. Owens and even Caminiti in the ruck and just generally - their competitiveness is something to behold. Pou just does things. Pity about his running goal - could have run in a little closer.

5. Higgins’ season has been seriously underrated.

6.Hard fought win and I thought we went back to some of the good structures from earlier. We kept control brilliantly for the last 4/5 minutes.

7. What the hell is “half held” Derwayne? Is it like a little bit pregnant??? Didn’t mind Lynch too much but the other two were dreadful. Along with the cameramen, which I mentioned previously, we obviously got the D- team for our time slot.

8. To finish on a high - didn’t have too much expectation about what the King would bring after such a long layoff. Jeez was I happy to be proven wrong. The fact that we sit where we do in the ladder without him should bring home to everyone just exactly what a season we’ve had so far - even with a couple of less than good showings!

Roll on Hawks and the bye.

It's interesting that plenty of people on here are rating Clark's performances at various times, but he still hasn't been in the top 5 players on the ground for the coaching staff at any point. Same for Stocker and Caminiti.
Think he’s performed well when we’ve lost

Agree with most of that except Gresh - he is certainly ok to have in the centre square as he has great evasiveness but is not i think that quick or has a great tank so centre square only AND unfortunately just bombs it forward - certainly not a great user into the forward 50.

Windhager is more athletic with a proven tank and some speed & is a better user of the pill.

Reckon ur pretty right with the rest though I’m not sure Pou has a lot of pace but certainly very good by hand & foot and plenty of improvement to come.

Windhager looks promising but he's only managed 15 possessions or more 7 times in his career and his best game was the one against Kelly where he got 21 possessions. 17 is his next best tally. 11 games under 11 possessions. He goes at one clearance per game and low contested possessions.

Gresham you can criticise his kicking but I think a few people are tripping if they think Windhager is ready to push him out of the middle. Realistically most take 50 plus games to start owning a midfield spot unless they are pretty special players. Bytel still can't grab a spot after years in the system.

In a rebuilding side a kid like him might get 20 plus games on ball to build up quickly but that's not where we are at.

Watched the replay last night.

1. Thought Stocker had a very good game. My only thought with Ross’ comments in the presser is that he does not want him to get ahead of himself. He did similar in a presser early on when a journo commented that someone ( can’t remember who) was “awesome” and RTB really downplayed that, saying he wasn’t awesome. Could have been Caminiti?

2. How on earth do the afl allow a game on a ground like that? Lucky there weren’t knee, leg injuries.

3. Watching it unemotionally we were better than I thought - with obvious midfield improvement needed. Ross hmmm.

4. Owens and even Caminiti in the ruck and just generally - their competitiveness is something to behold. Pou just does things. Pity about his running goal - could have run in a little closer.

5. Higgins’ season has been seriously underrated.

6.Hard fought win and I thought we went back to some of the good structures from earlier. We kept control brilliantly for the last 4/5 minutes.

7. What the hell is “half held” Derwayne? Is it like a little bit pregnant??? Didn’t mind Lynch too much but the other two were dreadful. Along with the cameramen, which I mentioned previously, we obviously got the D- team for our time slot.

8. To finish on a high - didn’t have too much expectation about what the King would bring after such a long layoff. Jeez was I happy to be proven wrong. The fact that we sit where we do in the ladder without him should bring home to everyone just exactly what a season we’ve had so far - even with a couple of less than good showings!

Roll on Hawks and the bye.

I rate GWS's midfield a lot higher than others do. I thought our midfield did well to break even with them. They might be light on in KPs and utilities but they have an elite midfield. We have a good ordinary even midfield with lots of run but don't win easy possession and low contested numbers.

The 50m penalty paid to Webster was an interesting one.
Umpire was asking Brent to come back 2 metres. Problem was, Brent was not on the mark.
I believe it was Xavier. You would hate for a game to be decided by this error.
Maybe they just need to call out the player's number rather than the player's name.

I reckon the player would have known though. He thought he might get away with it because the umpire was a dumb ****. When you are standing the mark you know.

GWS and Collingwood both move 2 to 5 meters in towards the player who has a free kick or mark. They umpire calls them back and it stops the player moving the ball quickly and lets them set up ahead of the ball.

They did it all game and then they paid one against us as a 50 with no warning to move back. Evened out that one anyway.

Other coaches should highlight it and make the umpires stop letting it slide. Pay 50 against them both 3 times and it stops.

The close up obsession has been going on for ages. Annoys the crap out of me. It doesn’t allow for any context. You wonder why a player stops running and goes in circles not knowing there’s nothing ahead. I dont think they realise we play on grounds that are bigger than 15 meters.

The close up obsession has been going on for ages. Annoys the crap out of me. It doesn’t allow for any context. You wonder why a player stops running and goes in circles not knowing there’s nothing ahead. I dont think they realise we play on grounds that are bigger than 15 meters.

The zoomed in cameras just reek of a decision in filming made by people who don’t actually watch games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back