Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, does he tell them to run into each other or get the ball smothered or kick on the man in the mark or get 80 turnovers they are poor poor group of players
No, but he does tell players to all flood into defence, which leaves us with nothing to kick to, hence the 80 turnovers. You can't seriously defend him after that garbage.

Give it up with the Ross getting the sack it’s not happening and it won’t help we have been hiding the fact for few years that our players suck and finishing mid table is not going to help
It has to.

His game plan is not going to get us where we need to.

We have gone the wrong direction fast. There's no excuses for it.

Ross and the entire St Kilda board has to go.

Every single saints supporter should be pissed off at this point.
Enough is enough.

Yes they won.

So their fans are happy.

But not all of them are smart

C8kajUs.jpeg

lIinZLK.jpeg

KvuWjkb.jpeg

Again, does he tell them to run into each other or get the ball smothered or kick on the man in the mark or get 80 turnovers they are poor poor group of players
Ffs, this is just really tired.

No he doesn’t kick the ball for them but he sure as shit as them setting up at stoppage, letting Roma hack clearance, slow ball out of defence, never look for corridor footy.

Yes the players are playing like shit (you could argue some of that is a lack of confidence because of the system) but the structure and gameplan are also real ****ing shit.

Now either that is Ross OR the group isn’t listening to him, either way, that’s bad for a coach.

I really didn't watch this game thinking that we were playing defensive footy.
The demons had 67 inside fifties. They missed opportunities and took quite a few wide shots.
Swans basically kicked the same score as them from roughly 20 less inside 50s.

We're just poorly skilled, poor decision makers and down on confidence. Probably shouldn't use the word "just" in that sentence, but just because we can't score doesn't mean it's "Rossball". It's "Nothingball" at the moment.

The low scoring will contribute to the old-fashioned Ross discussion, but it's pretty clear to me anyway that he wants the ball to be moved quickly through Hill, Henry, Nas, Wilson, Bonner and Sincs. Unless those guys burn it up and unless everyone else plays somewhere near the best of their ability, we're burnt, buttered, soggy reheated toast.

Anyway, there should be a different look to the team next week. Membrey, Crouch and Clark will come back in from what I saw. He might lack gamecraft still, but hoping Arie gets a run soon to give us some skill coming out of defence by foot. Could probably take Bonner's spot without us losing too much in the way of decision making or accountability and he's a far more reliable kick than Bonner.

Hotton's 5 was a nice surprise - but I happened to not be watching when he kicked any of them, so curious to see how he got them.

Not particularly fussed about today - just irritated, expected a 10 goal loss but hoped for a few more highlights.
For those who weren't covering their eyes during the ruck contests, how many of Gawn's 8 free kicks were justified?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you take out the north game we’ve averaged 67 points a game since round 2.

****ing kidding yaselves if you reckon this isn’t Rossball.

The players and skills are shit but that score for is only better than North edit. And Richmond… genuinely forgot about
Rohan Connolly wrote this during the week.

“Okay this needs to be said. I’ve got nothing against Ross Lyon at all. His footy knowledge and nous is first class. But you simply can’t win a flag without being able to score and his teams consistently don’t.
He’s had 14 completed seasons as coach with StKilda and Fremantle. And just once, in 2009 when the Saints were runners up, have his teams ranked any higher than seventh for points scored, whilst nine times his teams have ranked top six for fewest points conceded.
In the 21st century we’ve had 24 premierships and just three times has a team ranked lower than sixth for points scored won a flag. You have to be able to score at least respectably to be in the ball game. And Lyon’s teams still don’t.

Last year St.Kilda whilst #1 for fewest points scored against, was a dismal 15th for points scored. Even this season the Saints are going okay defensively (6th before this round for fewest points against), but 14th for points scored.

You can’t return this sort of discrepancy between defence and attack over a long period and be believed when you say you value attacking football and scoring. He doesn’t. And the numbers simply don’t stack up. He has to change. “

To be fair our marquee game against the reigning premier got 65k or whatever. What other game is getting more than 30k for us right now?
This is the exact thinking that keeps us at marvel . It’s a constant doom loop that even you’re defending. So what how many it draws . Our members all live in the south and catch the train straight past the mcg and you’re saying we don’t deserve a game there based on money .

I really didn't watch this game thinking that we were playing defensive footy.
The demons had 67 inside fifties. They missed opportunities and took quite a few wide shots.
Swans basically kicked the same score as them from roughly 20 less inside 50s.

We're just poorly skilled, poor decision makers and down on confidence. Probably shouldn't use the word "just" in that sentence, but just because we can't score doesn't mean it's "Rossball". It's "Nothingball" at the moment.

The low scoring will contribute to the old-fashioned Ross discussion, but it's pretty clear to me anyway that he wants the ball to be moved quickly through Hill, Henry, Nas, Wilson, Bonner and Sincs. Unless those guys burn it up and unless everyone else plays somewhere near the best of their ability, we're burnt, buttered, soggy reheated toast.

Anyway, there should be a different look to the team next week. Membrey, Crouch and Clark will come back in from what I saw. He might lack gamecraft still, but hoping Arie gets a run soon to give us some skill coming out of defence by foot. Could probably take Bonner's spot without us losing too much in the way of decision making or accountability and he's a far more reliable kick than Bonner.

Hotton's 5 was a nice surprise - but I happened to not be watching when he kicked any of them, so curious to see how he got them.

Not particularly fussed about today - just irritated, expected a 10 goal loss but hoped for a few more highlights.
For those who weren't covering their eyes during the ruck contests, how many of Gawn's 8 free kicks were justified?
Honestly most of them, Roma is lucky he doesn’t give away more with how he plays ruck, it’s an issue for him (although I’d argue they really shouldn’t pay any frees in the ruck)

Whether the players are just not good enough for Lyon’s game plan or whether they are just not committed / interested because of Lyon’s game plan, the common issue appears to be Lyon’s game plan.

Fact is, this team is just awful to watch and appears nowhere near to winning again this season. And fact is, many of these players have previously shown how good they could be if allowed to play and not just defend.

We can’t replace all the players (‘playing the kids’ is not fair for the kids and will most likely neither improve results nor entertainment) … if only there were another way to remove an apparent problem ?

This is the exact thinking that keeps us at marvel . It’s a constant doom loop that even you’re defending. So what how many it draws . Our members all live in the south and catch the train straight past the mcg and you’re saying we don’t deserve a game there based on money .
I’m not saying anything just pointing out the stats that will be used as reasoning. The afl is a for profit business so that’s what 90% of their decisions are made on.

You don’t have to like it but it’s not changing

Steele doesn’t care about football or winning he is in it for the money, bleeding us dry. 💰
What an absolutely stupid thing to say.
The bloke who has played injured a majority of the time over the last 3 years. The bloke who played out with a cooked shoulder.
He's bleeding us dry...
Maybe just maybe he's over that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back