Preview Round 13, 2020: Brisbane v St.Kilda - Gabba, Sunday 23rd August, 3:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Lions

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 33 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - but they have as much, if not more cred, than people stating the "eye test" or "potential" as a differential between players.

The stats bear out the obvious - the Long to HBF experiment is worth persevering with but ATM Long is not a significant upgrade on DMac.

You are correct, there is not a lot of difference between DMac & Long statistically speaking. Arguably there isn’t a lot of difference on their performances to date either. But Ratts plays blokes that he believes will be part of his gameplan going forward. He sees potential & backs in the players instead of playing tried & tested old Richo boots that been part of a consistent failure of a club for the past half a dozen years. Mckenzie, Savage, etc are the past & only backup, Long, Coffield & Paton have been part of a winning formula are the new black. No idea why you want to change that. Richo days were not the glory days with DMac sending worm burners onto Paddy’s tit. They are gone. Onwards & upwards.

Last edited:
I'm bullish on what Ross can hopefully produce in the last part of the season. We forget that he was a very good player only a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully with a more cemented midfield rotation he can have some more impact and take the burden off Steele, Jones etc. Would be a great plus if he can get some of his first BnF form. Last wek was encouraging

I'm pretty confident his best 2020 footy is about to start. He looked like he didn't really have a spot until Gresham went out. He was always a link between the inside mids and the next link until this year where he seemed to sit a bit off the play with nothing to do. We seem to bypass that type this year. Last week we seemed to feed it out a bit more and Seb was also able to win a bit more of his own footy. The same reason Hill wasn't getting much ball is the same reason Seb isn't. It looks like we have tweaked the game plan a bit.

You are correct, there is not a lot of difference between DMac & Long statistically speaking. Arguably there isn’t a lot of difference on their performances to date either. But Ratts plays blokes that he believes will be part of his gameplan going forward. He sees potential & backs in the players instead of playing tried & tested old Richo boots that been part of a consistent failure of a club for the past half a dozen years. Mckenzie, Savage, etc are the past & only backup, Long, Coffield & Paton are the new black.

he likes clean users off the backline and good decision makers. Neither is in Dan's skill set. He's a wingman or mid, potentially some kind of defensive forward but he's heart in the mouth down back. Long has some issues but it's more in his failing to impact for large parts of the game not in disposal or decisions. Long is aggressive and creative, Dan is brave and hard at the contested footy. You can see the two coaching styles in their chosen rebounding back.

Maybe it's not the aluminium you can taste, but the plastic coating?
It's a combination of the aluminum on the rim, which you do taste, and the elimination of nasal aromas which are %80 of the over all sense of taste.

It's the reason why wines and spirits are served in wide diameter glasses to let you breath in the goodness.

Whisky saint??

You are correct, there is not a lot of difference between DMac & Long statistically speaking. Arguably there isn’t a lot of difference on their performances to date either. But Ratts plays blokes that he believes will be part of his gameplan going forward. He sees potential & backs in the players instead of playing tried & tested old Richo boots that been part of a consistent failure of a club for the past half a dozen years. Mckenzie, Savage, etc are the past & only backup, Long, Coffield & Paton are the new black.

he likes clean users off the backline and good decision makers. Neither is in Dan's skill set. He's a wingman or mid, potentially some kind of defensive forward but he's heart in the mouth down back. Long has some issues but it's more in his failing to impact for large parts of the game not in disposal or decisions. Long is aggressive and creative, Dan is brave and hard at the contested footy. You can see the two coaching styles in their chosen rebounding back.
Long is 23 and has played 39 games DMac is 24 and played 49 games. Long is definitely showing a bit down back but despite what you and Gringo say - his decision making and disposal is very suspect especially under any sort of pressure and he is still suffering from the same problem he always has had - doesn't find the ball a lot. Work in progress.

He's contracted till the end of 2022 so he needs to start doing a bit more otherwise people might start calling him the next DMac.

As to the others - Paton (21) was pretty much established as starting 22 under Richo. Coffield is a 20 yo Top 10 pick - completely different kettle of fish.

Savage (29) - yep good depth.

It's a combination of the aluminum on the rim, which you do taste, and the elimination of nasal aromas which are %80 of the over all sense of taste.

It's the reason why wines and spirits are served in wide diameter glasses to let you breath in the goodness.

Whisky saint??

My brother in law gave me a Scandinavian wine decanter that is meant to be scientifically designed for perfectly decanting red wine. It actually does work, I have used it about twice though because it's a campaigner to clean, makes a difference though.

Whisky needs a wide low glass or a balloon glass to get the aroma. I went to this Whisky night at Caulfield race course last year in winter, huge bonfires and all the best whiskeys by the glass or shot. Great idea but I wish I could have bought my own glass, they used little shot glasses that you could wash out and reuse. It would have been nice to try some in a nice glass. The atmosphere was good though, cold air, warm fire and whisky. It doesn't get much better. I can't wait to get up to the country again.

You are correct, there is not a lot of difference between DMac & Long statistically speaking. Arguably there isn’t a lot of difference on their performances to date either. But Ratts plays blokes that he believes will be part of his gameplan going forward. He sees potential & backs in the players instead of playing tried & tested old Richo boots that been part of a consistent failure of a club for the past half a dozen years. Mckenzie, Savage, etc are the past & only backup, Long, Coffield & Paton have been part of a winning formula are the new black. No idea why you want to change that. Richo days were not the glory days with DMac sending worm burners onto Paddy’s tit. They are gone. Onwards & upwards.

DMac still youngish. If I was him I’d request a trade to a team who could play him, rather than sitting in the twos to see out his contract.

My brother in law gave me a Scandinavian wine decanter that is meant to be scientifically designed for perfectly decanting red wine. It actually does work, I have used it about twice though because it's a campaigner to clean, makes a difference though.

Whisky needs a wide low glass or a balloon glass to get the aroma. I went to this Whisky night at Caulfield race course last year in winter, huge bonfires and all the best whiskeys by the glass or shot. Great idea but I wish I could have bought my own glass, they used little shot glasses that you could wash out and reuse. It would have been nice to try some in a nice glass. The atmosphere was good though, cold air, warm fire and whisky. It doesn't get much better. I can't wait to get up to the country again.
Tulip (my preferred) or glencan glasses best for whisky. Love me a whisky and bonfire night!!!!!

Tulip (my preferred) or glencan glasses best for whisky. Love me a whisky and bonfire night!!!!!

You guys have obviously had too much too drink that you’ve accidentally wandered into the wrong thread.

You know what happened to Sidebottom when he drank scotch and wandered “out the wrong door.”
Even though George might be “proud of you,” you may still get a suspension! 😉 🤣

I don't think we'll have an issue up forward. But I hope guys like Bailey and Hipwood don't get off the leash. Bailey looks an intelligent, nimble and skillful player... he could be capable of doing another "Rohan" to us. These kinda guy pop up against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s life, but still always sad for those of ours who don’t make it.

we were pretty critical of NEWNES i am not suggesting they are similar in any way its just quite amazing the difference a chance at another club can make to a player. They were saying on his game last night that this year for the blues everything he touches is turning to gold. He was so mediocre at the Saints. BUt then theres a lot i dont understand. Like our game against the CATS.

Hell as far as that goes how have the Cats been so good for so long....i remember there was a final back in the early 2004 Port Adelaide beat Geelong by 55 points in the qualifying final at AAMI Stadium, which gave them a week off and a place in the preliminary final; Port Adelaide then defeated St Kilda by 6 points in a tight preliminary final to advance to the grand final. All the critics and commentators were rating us as an impressive young team devceloping not dissimilar to Geelong themselves putting us on a par. Well we went up and then down we all know the history....how is it that the Cats just stayed great all the way through to now pretty much.

Relating it back to now and to us...we desparately need to win this game against Brisbane. Everyone bar two in the Age have written us off as loosing this one. We are certainly overdue to find some sustained rewards. but nothing comes easily for the old SAINTERS...Come on Saints twenty or thirty years of winning thanks.

Apologies George for getting preview thread on to beer - I'm nervous about this one against Brisbane, I really rate them and their coach (Tassie boy).Yep they have had the benefit of some early picks but they have been smart as well complimenting the young fellas with another couple of Tasmanians Birchall for a wise head and Mitch Robinson for a not so wise head but a damn hard one.

Is it necessarily wrong to discuss alcohol, after the decade we've just had? I think not ...

1598076114832.png

I haven't bought cans of beer for a long time- just beer in stubbies, but I had a couple of cans of Coopers Pale Ale (green can) the other day, and blow me down..it was very nice!
Just put down my second batch of Covid Coopers Pale Ale home brew. Working my way through the first batch now - no complaints from me.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ryder and Roma our ruck Batman and Robin duo are the key to this game, if they can work over McInerney we will be hard to beat.

Along with King, Membrey and Jakey Carlisle we can control the air against them and bring our runners like Butler and Hill into the game.

Round 13, 2018 against the lowly GC Suns. Richo firmly in the gun to be sacked. We looked like losing only for Mckenzie to have a massive 4th term where he had 8 possessions, 7 being contested, & snagged a goal. Richo gave special mention to McKenzie’s game. There has been a running joke on here that that performance is what secured a few extra years on his contract.
Thanks for explaining

we were pretty critical of NEWNES i am not suggesting they are similar in any way its just quite amazing the difference a chance at another club can make to a player. They were saying on his game last night that this year for the blues everything he touches is turning to gold. He was so mediocre at the Saints. BUt then theres a lot i dont understand. Like our game against the CATS.

Hell as far as that goes how have the Cats been so good for so long....i remember there was a final back in the early 2004 Port Adelaide beat Geelong by 55 points in the qualifying final at AAMI Stadium, which gave them a week off and a place in the preliminary final; Port Adelaide then defeated St Kilda by 6 points in a tight preliminary final to advance to the grand final. All the critics and commentators were rating us as an impressive young team devceloping not dissimilar to Geelong themselves putting us on a par. Well we went up and then down we all know the history....how is it that the Cats just stayed great all the way through to now pretty much.

Relating it back to now and to us...we desparately need to win this game against Brisbane. Everyone bar two in the Age have written us off as loosing this one. We are certainly overdue to find some sustained rewards. but nothing comes easily for the old SAINTERS...Come on Saints twenty or thirty years of winning thanks.
Weller and Newnes were good players early on in their Saint careers who became mediocre. It might be the making of Newnes at the Blues, or it might be all downhill from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back