Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilson, Collard, Hastie, Garcia, Schoenmaker, increasingly looking like the 2023 draft was an absolute bonanza for st Kilda fc.
Absolutely. However, people getting their rocks off when there was half a season to go about getting pick 4/5 in the next draft does my head in. How many of the players you mentioned in our great 2023 draft haul were in discussions at the same stage last year? Not many I'd suggest.

Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing their development over the course of this year combined with improved team system. Hopefully resulting in a chunk of wins. I don't give a rats where we finish draft wise if we can choose as wisely as we did last year. It will take care of itself.

I also wish that the endless discussion on draft position and possible tanking was confined to a specific draft thread. It hardly seems relevant to autopsy or pre game discussion threads.

For his age he's a very good forward. Membrey, King and Hammer all look poor in our forward line. That's something structural when so many can't get a good run at it. I'd still prefer to develop him up forward ideally.
I agree but he looks comfortable as a back. It could actually help his forward game in getting the confidence up. I've always felt he's a maybe but after last night I'm really confident he'll make it whether it's forward or back.

I agree but he looks comfortable as a back. It could actually help his forward game in getting the confidence up. I've always felt he's a maybe but after last night I'm really confident he'll make it whether it's forward or back.

He's one I'm pretty positive about generally. He's a really good competitor and works harder than most. He's an above average mark and once his set shot routine improves he'll be a weapon. For his age he's shown more than most KPFs.

I really rate Coops too but think there is more chance he drifts out of AFL footy than Hammer. Big power forwards are hard to find. I can see him being a bit like Mitch Lewis or Larkey and becoming a solid above average tall forward. Worst case a bit of a Casboult career.

thought it was pretty hilarious after Max took that mark on the lead in the 2nd (or 3rd) where his defender just let him go, the camera cut to harris andrews clearly saying "they kick to one ****ing player, stay the **** on him" or something along the lines of that

I really rate Coops too but think there is more chance he drifts out of AFL footy than Hammer. Big power forwards are hard to find. I can see him being a bit like Mitch Lewis or Larkey and becoming a solid above average tall forward. Worst case a bit of a Casboult career.
You found me. How can I be of service!

So we fold like a deck of cards when the game was there to be won early - playing like the same headless chooks with shocking skills- kick some late goals when the cue is in the rack for the opposition, and now many of you are lauding Ross for playing “attacking” football and showing the media and his detractors up?!

But last week the majority here said we “didn’t have the cattle” to play attacking football?!

Another confusing day for the followers of Ross Lyon FC.

Today showed a coach out of his depth trying desperately to respond to the (rightful) barrage he copped last week.

Well, he tried to open up more. But the game was over by quarter time and our defence leaked like a sieve. He doesn’t have the skillset to coach in an attacking way. He only knows defence.

Last quarter, in desperation (and in junk time) he throws all the chess pieces in the air and the chaos catches the opposition off guard.

Amazingly, the chaos had his team score the same amount of goals in one quarter as he’d scored the entire previous game.

I think I’ll have to have another sip of the Kool-Aid and watch a genius Ross presser, while lauding the master coach’s turn of phrase.

What has our club and fanbase become?! Millionaire presidents choosing out-of-date coaches on yachts, paying them millions without a process, and we just swallow up whatever we are given.

Welcome to Ross Lyon FC.
What dross
Your biases are clear but give it a rest
Anyone with hand a brain knows we don’t have the cattle to match quality 4 qtrs
Yeah we can score and Lyon can coach but at the end of the day he doesn’t hit up targets, make decisions with ball in hand
Ive heard your skills/ soccer coaching ramblings before but any track watcher will tell you our training is light years ahead in standard than under Ratten
Suggest buckle up as Lyon will go full tenure and so he should

What was also weird is that the umpires paid a free against Windhager for what wasn't a free against Mac Andrew last week He had back turned to the play and impeding Neil getting to the ball. Either it's a free or it isn't you can't change by the week.
This is what the gutless AFL loving media won’t address but what’s killing the game
It’s not about IF the free was “technically “ there or not
It’s the roll the dice weekly interpretation that more and more are seeing good games now decided by poor umpiring
It’s at an all time low but no one discusses it publicly???? What kind of major sports code doesn’t want to improve the officiating of their game?
Yet last week….theyre happy to come out mid week and pick out 1 free King gets to validate their new boy wonder Hardwick was hard done by??
It’s just utter corrup BS
We all know they would never do that to Cats, Pies, Bombers, Blues as “big clubs”
Saints?? Expendable
It’s seriously turning people off the game
You may as well let umps just dictate the results each week based on their “vibe”….its a warning for over mark 1 week….50 meter game defining goal penalty week later
Laura is a blow hard

What dross
Your biases are clear but give it a rest
Anyone with hand a brain knows we don’t have the cattle to match quality 4 qtrs
Yeah we can score and Lyon can coach but at the end of the day he doesn’t hit up targets, make decisions with ball in hand
Ive heard your skills/ soccer coaching ramblings before but any track watcher will tell you our training is light years ahead in standard than under Ratten
Suggest buckle up as Lyon will go full tenure and so he should
It's the players fault under Lyon, under anyone else, it's the coach's fault. We are no fitter, faster or stronger under Lyon than we were under Ratten for the preseasons and training I have seen in the last few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are no fitter, faster or stronger under Lyon than we were under Ratten for the preseasons and training I have seen in the last few seasons.

oh man this should be good

Drama What GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Just another left field idea:

Given that Membrey is seriously out of form playing forward, I wonder if the club would consider throwing him down back to see how he would go? We know Ratten loved throwing him back as a loose man late in quarters with good effect. He is just too good a player to go out of footy playing like he is. He is not the quickest but he reads the ball so well and can mark against players much taller than himself. Why cant he play a similiar role to Rampe with the Swans. I think its time the bloke was given a chance a save his career and given a chance in defence.

Last edited:

Given that Membrey is seriously out of form playing forward, I wonder if the club would consider throwing him down back to see how would he go? We know Ratten loved throwing him back as a loose man late in quarters with good effect. He is just too good a player to go out of footy playing like he is. He is not the quickest but he reads the ball so well and can mark against players much taller than himself. Why cant he play a similiar role to Rampe with the Swans. I think its time the bloke was given a chance a save his career and given a chance in defence.

Pre season I was thinking this myself when I wondered how we get games into Sharman and Hammer.

Not a bad idea, he used to intercept mark really well as a lose man at times.

Given that Membrey is seriously out of form playing forward, I wonder if the club would consider throwing him down back to see how would he go? We know Ratten loved throwing him back as a loose man late in quarters with good effect. He is just too good a player to go out of footy playing like he is. He is not the quickest but he reads the ball so well and can mark against players much taller than himself. Why cant he play a similiar role to Rampe with the Swans. I think its time the bloke was given a chance a save his career and given a chance in defence.

I don't think Tim will be on our list next season.

I am more than happy that they play Caminiti there till Howard returns. It will be good for his career irrespective of whether he ends up a key forward or back with us.

I'm happy to cop a down year and get a good pick, but next year we need to look at how we start the season. We can't afford to be out of it half way through the year.
Praying to the injury gods and the gods at the AFL who oversee the “fix”ture might help a bit too.
Start now.

A coach out of depth right? How do you rate our midfield compared to Brisbane’s? I rate ours bottom 2, where as Brisbane is top 6, given the circumstances (Lion’s home game, we lost 2 defenders), I reckon we did ok.

I don’t know what your expectation is.. but our list is seriously lacking.. 2020 and 2023 we had almost everything going in our way (draw, injury, other teams dropping off), you can’t be serious when you’re expecting this team to make final or even be super competitive with 1 recognised midfielder (Jack Steele) when other sides normally have 4 (Neale, Zorko, Dunkley, Mccluggage)? It’s really like taking a knife to a gun fight..
This! If people think the coach is the problem. Your way over rating our list. Take a closer look this year. We've got one semi injured proper mid. The rest are too young or cooked, and our forward line for most year consists of a baby giraffe, a 20yo tall in and out of the team, a cooked 30yo and our 2 best small fwds have been missing most of the season.
But somehow we've managed to win 5 games and not be blown away in most losses.
Last year this coaching team devised 13 wins and played finals while having the worst i50 scoring conversion in the league.
There blooding the youth. This is the way.

So since you know he won't be sacked, what's your end game? To go to the board with presidential challenge? Or just annoy people who want to enjoy supporting their team?

Where was all this vitriol in the Richo and Ratts years, or were they getting their teams beautiful football? Last question: please suggest a head coach who you think St Kilda should employ, once we've sacked our 3rd coach in 6 years.

This is shaping up like Arteta’s early years at Arsenal. The fan base hardened into lovers and haters with not much in between. Both were wrong - turned out without the benefit of time no one could tell if he was going in the right direction or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2024: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back