Autopsy Round 14 2024 - GWS Giants v Port Adelaide, Sunday 16 June, 4.00 pm AEST @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We are the last match of the shortened round at 4 pm this afternoon. Up against Port, who, while not travelling the greatest, are 3-2 over their last 5 games & a win ahead on the ladder, while we are 1-4 and struggling badly. They have good players returning - notably Connor Rozee - while we have Josh Kelly and Jack Buckley back. Our biggest issue is that we've been getting beaten in the midfield; sometimes in clearances and sometimes in the spread; both leading to insufficient quality ball into our F50 and too much from our opposition into the D50. We've gone quite tall in defence with Leek Aleer retained on Buckley's return, although Port has a 3-tall forward line (just a bit different, having dropped Dixon and ToJ).

Really, we need the boys to stand up and win this home game; if not, I fear the season will be too far gone. But I'm not sure where we get the win from, as we seem to have just lost belief and composure in games. C'mon GIANTS, lift for this home game!

GWS v PORT.png

And hopefully our fantastic win last time we played Port (a final in Adelaide), will give our boys the confidence that we can win this game.

Win and we could be as high as 4th spot, depending on the % and an unlikely loss by Collingwood. Lose and depending on the margins, we could end up 10th after this round. This shows how close the competition for the bottom half of the final spots are, and this is a critical game for us against a fellow final contender at our home ground.

Really must win this game, and am feeling confident that the return of Kelly and Buckley will result in a change of fortunes. Oh and fingers crossed that Toby returns to his All Australian form of 2023.

Let’s Go Giants!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping also that today’s crowd would be over 10,028. That is our record attendance for a home game against Port (albeit set in Manuka). No rain or track work, and the promotion of family tickets for this match, should hopefully get us a 10k+ crowd today?

Hoping also that today’s crowd would be over 10,028. That is our record attendance for a home game against Port (albeit set in Manuka). No rain or track work, and the promotion of family tickets for this match, should hopefully get us a 10k+ crowd today?

Hopefully.

I assume the previous wet weather and trackwork gives about 20%-30% reduction in attendance, if not more.

I have no basis for this % but maybe someone else may have a more accurate figure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14 2024 - GWS Giants v Port Adelaide, Sunday 16 June, 4.00 pm AEST @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back