Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for us to be labelled pretenders by media and opposition supporters for the remainder of the season.

Not happy for any Brisbane Lions supporters doing the same.

First 1/4 was good while Neale was in control. Too many passengers once Neale was shut down.
Honestly what do you expect?

We still have the same deficiencies on and off the field as 2019.

Everyone supporter here can see them. And if we can see them, then sure as hell opposition coaches see them, and exploit them.

Until we prove we can win on the big stage, we are pretenders.

Dylan12 used to often say we did not have a good enough team to go all the way. Unfortunately it is starting to become apparent that he was correct.

Is Hipwood OK? Has his knee ruined him? Does he play Twos next week? McStay had one of his invisible games.

Oscar was OK but he is never going to be elite and Fort is worse. Lyons has seen better days and apart from Neale we lack a 30 a day disposal winner and I don't see one in the Twos.

Tom Berry as a small forward? We have to give Matho a spot as we need to win games. He has been much better then Tom Berry at the same level and I am firmly of the opinion that Tom will never make it.
Just on McStay. He was the only one of our tall forwards getting up the ground, taking marks on the wing and supporting our midfield.

Hipwood tried to do the same a couple of times and was easily bodied out, and pushed under the mark.

So we went with McStay further up the ground for most of the game.

McStay wasn’t invisible. He just wasn’t given the opportunity to impact forward because our midfield and coach sh@t the bed.

Fagan made a mess of this with team selection. I watched his presser and I wonder what accountability he takes.
They are without Max Gawn and instead of going in with Fort and Oscar, which has served us well, he doesn’t select Fort. That also denies us the chance to send Fort forward to help out. Then he decides to pick a first gamer and give T. Berry a run. Both were soundly beaten and neither looked like it. In the meantime time you have Prior who hasn’t put a foot wrong out of the side for god knows what reason and Ah Chee can’t get a full game after probably his best start to the season.
Finally there is the mental preparation side of things. You would have thought the club had been setting themselves for this game since the start of the year. This was our chance to win a big game and we served up an absolute shocker. What was Fagan’s contribution? What were his learnings?

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Midfield has issues that need to be addressed but I honestly thought the backline performed admirably given the amount of ball coming in, and the forwards never stood a chance.

Pretty impossible to score and prevent scores when you are -30 in contested ball at half time. Thought the backline tried hard and did ok, but if the Dees had kicked a bit straighter it would have been even worse.

Pretty impossible to score and prevent scores when you are -30 in contested ball at half time. Thought the backline tried hard and did ok, but if the Dees had kicked a bit straighter it would have been even worse.

Most scoring shots given up by a Brisbane Lions team since 1998.

EDIT: against Melbourne

Last edited:
Their pressure and intensity at the contest was so much better. They ran harder from contest to contest and it looked like that meant business. Watching live you can see our mid group trailing their runners. It just looks like this group doesn’t want it enough tbh. That’s the impression I get. And why we continue to let Clayton Oliver do whatever he wants is beyond me. No one bodying him up/ trying to make life difficult. Poor coaching last night as well.

Honestly what do you expect?

We still have the same deficiencies on and off the field as 2019.

Everyone supporter here can see them. And if we can see them, then sure as hell opposition coaches see them, and exploit them.

Until we prove we can win on the big stage, we are pretenders.

I think our midfield has got worst since 2019. Zorko, Lyons and Robbo aren't the same and Stef left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any time I see anyone suggest that Matho is a solution to anything, I immediately ignore the rest of the post.

Love the guy, but he's hit his ceiling and it isn't AFL level. We've been there and done this and it goes nowhere.

Even when we've got the worst contested ball differential at half time in a game for a long time?

How to write a Chris Fagan press conference... There are only 4 of them...

WIN - top 8 team or 3-4 quarter performance against a bottom team:

"I'm really pleased with that. I dont think we had really any passengers here tonight, and we really played our game.

WIN - bottom team where we just do enough to fall over the line:

"I think tonight showed great character. We were off for a bit but we really hunkered down when it mattered and ground it out, and sometimes that's what matters. Really good effort by the boys".

LOSS - close, no matter who you're playing.

"I think the boys really brought the effort, just not quite the execution. It really was a game of almosts. We'll go away and learn some things, but I think it just shows the closeness of the competition."

LOSS - smashed

"I'm disappointed by that. I'm not sure where it came from - I certainly wasn't expecting it, but we just didn't perform tonight. We'll go away and learn some things. I don't want to overreact though - this is still the same team that has won X games, so it'll be more finetuning than wholesale changes.

He won't fix it - it can't be fixed with our list atm. But as a stop gag, can he be worse than what we saw last night?
No, he wouldn't have been worse than last night, but he's about 4th on my list of 4 of "things to try inside". We know Matho. We know he is OK but not good.

We had Tommy Berry there, who has been doing well in the centre at VFL, and played him forward.
We had Dev there who is naturally a contested player and played him... well, I still don't know where we were playing Dev for the first 3q.

The only reason to play Matho yesterday was to bring in experience. Too many kids. That's not a good enough reason to play someone who we are clearly waiting to delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Back