Preview Round 16, 2021: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Sunday 4th July, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 41 82.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Option 5. Drop Wood who played worse than Battle and is a ring in list clogger who puts in 1 good game a year, then play Battle as third tall.
Wood is kicking a goal a game and on his last chance at the top level, 8 seasons for 71 games. I am not convinced that his physicality is where it should be. Battle is just not grabbing his chances. Is Battle big enough to take a key position in the backline on a permanent basis? I would not have thought so, but I believe he did hold down CHB a couple of yrs ago.

No the comparison is at the same age.

The only thing that is disingenuous is to compare a No 1 pick who was clearly a star with a Pick 39 who ATM (despite what people on here may say) isn't one.

But that basically is my point.
Mate you compared Goddard with 300+ games. Don't try and tell me you compared them at the same age 😂

Wood had a better game than Battle last week, as well as a better month of football since he came into the team compared to what Battle had dished up over the same period.
Wood didn't have a better game than Battle despite what the AFL Ratings you try to use will say. The fact that both the ratings say that and that you believe them when they rated Wood BOG are enough for me to comfortably ignore this line of argumentation

If you’re planning on offering him as steak knives doesn’t it make sense that you play him as much as possible so that other teams see what he has to offer? You don’t necessarily drop him after his best game for the year.
Maybe. Unless an agreement with Gold Coast has already been reached.

Mate you compared Goddard with 300+ games. Don't try and tell me you compared them at the same age 😂
Nah - you need to look further down - the footywire layout is a bit confusing.

Its for the same age - both 23 - season 2008 for Goddard, and 2021 for Battle.

Anyway as I said its a bit unfair comparing a Pick 1 to a Pick 39.

I'd love Battle to become the genuine swingman that Goddard became but Battle was Pick 39 for a reason just like Goddard was Pick 1 for a reason.

You mean a bit like insider trading?
I don't know. But the club's could have communicated about it and JB could have already been appreciated by the Suns so need to put him in the shop window. They might even prefer he was not played as there would be a chance he was injured.

Probably way off. Drums are beating that Bing will join his brother sooner rather than later. It is a logical move for both clubs and both players.

I would hate to see Josh leave us, got a feeling he will be ripping the comp apart in a year or two, but if we do get Bing you could argue Josh is surplus to requirements and his external value will move past his internal value.

May even be the reason we drafted Allison, another player who would suit GCS. Two young mobile forwards with huge upside and swingman potential for their one star forward.

Ben's motivation for coming to the Saints is obvious and Josh seems to be a little bit of a party boy who may prefer the Gold Coast lifestyle to slugging it out in the winter down and Melbourne.

Like I said probably way off, and hopefully totally false, but a very logical move.

Last edited:
Most Melbourne fans weren't happy to lose him at the time.

He's no star but at the same time he's far from a spud. Very handy depth for a token pick.

Turns it over way to much - to be a truly top 4 side challenging for a flag you want better depth than Kent
To keep him and lose Hind is a travesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back