Preview Round 16, 2021: Hawks v Port @ Marvel Stadium, Sat 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What does that even mean?
Every year since Burgoyne left Port and we've played in Adelaide there's been a fair contingent of Power supporters who have booed him. I've been to every game and the fact that some still do is just a mystery to me.

I still remember being told matter-of-factly from a Port member "in the know" in 2009 that:
  • Burgoyne may never be able to play again because of his knee.
  • And if he does, it absolutely won't be to the same level.
  • Which wasn't that good anyway.
  • Because he only made AA due to Lade tapping it down his throat, and Hawthorn's rucks by comparison are poor.

And here we are. 2021. Happy 400 Silk!

The dead sea is a fresh water sea now because all the salt from the sea has been transported to the preview thread on the Port Adelaide board.

Shaun like Hodge is a genuine utility played where he was most needed on field. He was never going to get any individual awards but one of the best clutch players in the history of the game. I am not sure Port supporters get this. Or maybe its their hatred that he left that is blinding them. A class player and human being. Well done Shaun lets get the win to celebrate the great man. I am sure I will be shedding a tear or two at the end of the game win or lose.

Number 1 draft picks selected after Burgoyne landed at the Hawks that he has since outlasted.

2009 - Tom Scully
2011 - Jonathon Patton
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin

With the exception of philreich in the Port Adelaide preview thread, there is a massive lack of class over there. You'd think there'd be some of them that would realise Burgoyne's milestone is a shared one. But their petulant hatred of one of the most decent people in the footballing world is embarrassing. Sad.

Oh man, if only we could clone a midfield of Burgoynes.

Going to be a tough game for our team, but I doubt they'll leave the kitchen sink in the kitchen.

You'd think everything will be thrown at Port in honour of one of the greatest players and men to cross the white line post our 80s/91 Golden era.

If you can't get psyched for this celebration of his career, you don't have a pulse. And if they boo him, it means he's playing well.

He'll transcend it anyway, he's just that damn good and tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are flying out of this shithole ASAP. So their week is already going to be massively disrupted. We’ve got every chance to win this. Hope all you Melbourne fans are going to the game. Need 25,000 flat at this one.

I think it's still reduced capacity. 25% at Marvel unless somethings changed?

The dead sea is a fresh water sea now because all the salt from the sea has been transported to the preview thread on the Port Adelaide board.

Shaun like Hodge is a genuine utility played where he was most needed on field. He was never going to get any individual awards but one of the best clutch players in the history of the game. I am not sure Port supporters get this. Or maybe its their hatred that he left that is blinding them. A class player and human being. Well done Shaun lets get the win to celebrate the great man. I am sure I will be shedding a tear or two at the end of the game win or lose.
Only a few on their board are congratulating him. It’s actually pretty disappointing that so many on their board do not respect the man.

They keep highlighting that he hasn’t had a lot of individual achievements and therefore is overrated. It’s bizarre. 400 games in the AFL is one of the rarest individual feats there is in this game. How that is not worthy of anyone’s respect as a lone accolade is beyond me.

1) I'd love to see the highlights video that the club puts together, he was sensational in the middle at Port.
2) I hope Clarko starts him in the middle.

Only a few on their board are congratulating him. It’s actually pretty disappointing that so many on their board do not respect the man.

They keep highlighting that he hasn’t had a lot of individual achievements and therefore is overrated. It’s bizarre. 400 games in the AFL is one of the rarest individual feats there is in this game. How that is not worthy of anyone’s respect as a lone accolade is beyond me.

I'm expecting that to the extent there are Port Adelaide supporters at the game, we will hear boos. Despite the fact that Burgoyne left because he was unhappy to be overlooked for the captaincy in favour of Cassissi, and the way the club treated his brother, it seems a lot of Port Adelaide supporters still blame Burgoyne and regard him as a traitor.

I won't lie, I was salty when Buddy left for the Swans, but I have got over it and just enjoy watching him play, when I can stomach watching Sydney. But that doesn't apply to some Port Adelaide supporters.

I'm expecting that to the extent there are Port Adelaide supporters at the game, we will hear boos. Despite the fact that Burgoyne left because he was unhappy to be overlooked for the captaincy in favour of Cassissi, and the way the club treated his brother, it seems a lot of Port Adelaide supporters still blame Burgoyne and regard him as a traitor.

I won't lie, I was salty when Buddy left for the Swans, but I have got over it and just enjoy watching him play, when I can stomach watching Sydney. But that doesn't apply to some Port Adelaide supporters.
I don't think I could say I enjoy watching Buddy play in Swans colours, but I'd certainly show him respect if and when he gets to 1000 goals!

ROUND 16 TRAVEL UPDATE

The AFL wishes to advise the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide will travel to Victoria this afternoon via a charter flight ahead of Round 16 of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

The Hawthorn vs. Port Adelaide match scheduled to be played at Marvel Stadium at 7:40pm AEST on Saturday, July 3 will proceed as planned.

The AFL will provide an update to the Round 16 fixture relating to the Adelaide Crows vs. Brisbane Lions match once arrangements are finalised.

AFL Executive General Manager Clubs and Broadcasting Travis Auld said the league would continue to make decisions that best manage the evolving situation across the country.

“Bringing the two South Australian teams to Victoria today minimises risk for the competition as we progress the season in a constantly changing environment,” Mr Auld said.

“As of this evening we will have all 18 teams in Victoria and, as a competition, we will continue to remain adaptable where required.

“The two teams travelling today will fly to Victoria via a charter flight and will remain in the state ahead of this Round’s matches.

“While COVID-19 continues to impact the community, we will work closely with state governments, health officials, our clubs and players to ensure the best possible outcome for everyone in the game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back