Day Sicily Scrimshaw
Morrison Newc Bramble
Wingard Gunston Mcdonald
Moore Lewis Bruest

Reeves Worpel Omeara

Nash, Impey, Mitchell, Kozi

One more week for Ward, Lynch, DGB
Butler a rest, then back in.
Day to takes impeys roll on the bench and dgb takes days roll on the field. Ward takes morrison or brambles place in the side and butler takes the resting forward for the weeks role but that is a pretty good team with the focus on next year and not loosing to much senior mix on the field.

Mitchell is the player in the way now tho

Was worried when Mitch Lewis seemed to jar his knee again during the game. Hopefully he wont be missing this week. Wonder if its the same one he missed with the swelling?

Last edited:
Sorry Roddy, have to disagree
Just don’t see it. I would trade him & see what we can get.
In my opinion he lacks game awareness.
Is he a forward/ruckman/defender ?
I honestly don’t know
FFS, he's 21 and he's played just over one single season. Lewis has been on our list for six years and has only just started to realise his potential. Short-sighted folk were saying the exact same things about Lewis four years ago. At least try to see beyond the end of your nose.

FFS, he's 21 and he's played just over one single season. Lewis has been on our list for six years and has only just started to realise his potential. Short-sighted folk were saying the exact same things about Lewis four years ago. At least try to see beyond the end of your nose.
four months ago not four years

Death, taxes and people writing off a player before they have developed. It’s so common it hurts

Death, taxes and people writing off a player before they have developed. It’s so common it hurts
And they do it with the same, tired old cliches and slogans, 'I just can't see it', and 'lacks game awareness' (as if mature game awareness in a sporting comp as fast and intense as the AFL comes in the blink of an eye to every player who ever played the game).

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

Was worried when Mitch Lewis seemed to jar his knee again during the game. Hopefully he wont be missing this week. Wonder if its the same one he missed with the swelling?
Would be nice to have one game where we don't lose someone! It's been such a frustrating year on the injury front. Would love to get Wingard, Day, Gunston and Frost back for this one. Outs for me would be Mitchell, Butler, Impey and Howe

You mean Bulldogs players were not stationary a stoppages and read where the ball was going?
no that's not what i meant. Now i have your words in my mouth, stop putting them there. What I meant was what i said. If I meant the bulldogs players read his taps and sharked them, I'd have said that. What i meant to say was "he tapped it straight to bulldogs players who were stationary at the time. maybe i should have mentioned the stationary part. Without English I thought he'd dominate. But he kept tapping it to the dogs advantage in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Lewis has showed he can produce these performances since 2019 he's just never had a clean run of injuries, kosi is only 18 months younger than Lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, no-one was saying that in 2019. Not by the end of the season at least. Lewis really started to show his potential then. He had some great games that really made people notice.

Kosi has done well as our main target (ie when Lewis has been out), but is yet to show he can fit with Lewis as a second target. Granted, it's been harder given he's been thrown in the ruck. He's a good mark overhead and has kicked fairly straight, but he can't take a chest mark for shit and lacks general forward craft. In particular, he doesn't seemed to lead his defender away which means Lewis ends up getting double/triple teamed. Pretty sure this is what Wingard blasted him about last year too.

I'm not writing him off, I'm happy to see how he goes, but I'm not yet convinced he'll become what we need and don't think he'd be huge loss if traded. Particularly if Lawrence is picked up and continues to rise.

I think while Frost is out, we need to start playing a back 6 with DGB and Blanck in the key roles. This will enable us to release Sic a bit and also avoid Scrim/CJ needing to play tall. Frosty will be around for a couple of years yet but this type of mix with Hardwick and Impey is the future I reckon. Bit tricky for now because Day and Bramble aren't ready to shift into the middle just yet so will make selection interesting.

So you would think ins are:
  • DGB (not necessarily on form but per the above think needs to happen)
  • Gunston
  • Chad
  • Day
  • Ward (one more at Box Hill?)

The outs are really tough - I don't subscribe to shiels and howe being automatic outs. They both add toughness and competitiveness and howe in particular some versatility. I don't think we can play both though and Howe gets the nod for me, though I reckon he might get squeezed out this week in a tough call.

Equally tough I reckon we can't play both impey and bramble in the back 6. I think Jarman plays that role better when up and about but I'd prioritise Bramble for the next few games at least. Gives him some continuity & we can also play him in spurts on the wing to start that journey.

So - shiels, howe and impey out for me, then there is either one more being managed (Butler?) or one of gunston / chad doesn't get up.

With our draw, we need to be winning at least 4 more. It will cost us draft picks but so be it.

I thought reeves got some very clean clear taps and just tapped it to the bulldogs. Hope this doesn't happen this weekend.
Noticed it for few weeks now. There was once he taped it forward and there were no Hawks in front and 3 dogs in there. I think our midfield team will understand each other as we progress. It will come with time and hope once Ward comes back we will have a better group there.

Talking about pressure? Lewis is a hard running beast continually in the top 5 for km's each game.

No, Lewis is our primary target. We need a foil, a tall that is versatile and can play back if needed during a game. Someone that can turn a game, a matchwinner. Think Roughead, Balta..

Howe OUT - for good

Was singing his praises after the Freo game but he just cannot be that inconsistent at his age, especially as a role player.

Kosi might need a spell too in the next few weeks - love his attack at the contest but has stagnated. Problem is Box Hill stunk it up on the weekend and no one deserves a game.
Pretty sure you can write Hartigan off if you watched Box Hill. Thanks for your contributions to Hawthorn and all the best big fella.

My changes
Out Shiels, In Ward. Mid for mid. Though Ward needs centre square attendances
Out Impey, in DGB, comes in as second key back, allowing Sicily to roam and intercept
Out Howe, In Wingard. Plays as a mid forward. Need his class everywhere forward of centre
Out Worpel, In Gunston. Worps stiff, but we got another lesson that TOM JOM WORPS don’t work.
Out Morrison, in Maguiness. Morrison also stiff, but let’s see Maguiness get an extended run. What’s to lose?

My changes
Out Shiels, In Ward. Mid for mid. Though Ward needs centre square attendances
Out Impey, in DGB, comes in as second key back, allowing Sicily to roam and intercept
Out Howe, In Wingard. Plays as a mid forward. Need his class everywhere forward of centre
Out Worpel, In Gunston. Worps stiff, but we got another lesson that TOM JOM WORPS don’t work.
Out Morrison, in Maguiness. Morrison also stiff, but let’s see Maguiness get an extended run. What’s to lose?
Day?

I'd think in an ideal world, all of DGB, Day, Wingard, Gunston, Lynch and Ward are in our 22.

It's hard to fit them all in though - I don't envy our selection committee.

My best guess for this weekends team would be;

FB: DGB - Sicily - Hardwick
HB: Jiath - Blanck - Scrimshaw

MID: Reeves - Newcombe - Mitchell
MID: Day - Nash - Ward

HF: O'Meara - Gunston - Wingard
FF: Breust - Lewis - Moore

INT: Lynch - MacDonald - Worpel - Morrison
(Bramble)

Logically, that means the outs as follows
Howe, Shiels, Koschitzke, Impey, Bramble, Butler.

Butler, Bramble, Koschitzke and Impey I'd prefer in the team, but it might be good for them to go and dominate at VFL for a few weeks.

Shiels and Howe unfortunate casualties of the youth policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back