Unofficial Preview Round 16 vs. Gold Coast, PFS, 4:35pm Saturday 29/06

Remove this Banner Ad

"The sound of one hand clapping is a koan, a paradoxical question used in Buddhism to challenge rational thinking and provoke enlightenment. The question argues that clapping is not possible for one hand, but is a result of participation."

Always challenging the norm our ex-skipper.
giphy.webp

Attachments

• 1719359576116.png
    1719359576116.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 14
Ins and outs for me

Ins: Pendlebury, Degoey (if healthy), Mihocek, Markov, possibly Richards

Outs: Macrae, Sullivan, Dean (or possibly Frampton), TJ, possibly either Reef or Krueger

Just taking out like for like players.

Macrae and Sullivan a like for like midfielders for Degoey and Pendlebury so that’s a no brainer. If Degoey is not healthy then I'd keep Sullivan in the side.

TJ is like for like for Markov so he’ll come in. TJ for me isn’t AFL ready, played well but would rather an experienced premiership player like Markov in the side.

And either Dean or Frampton need to come out for Mihocek, can't have four key defenders in Dean, Frampton, Moore and Howe all in our backline. Either Dean comes out for Mihocek, then Frampton moves back to defence and Mihocek goes into the forward line, or just a straight swap for Frampton and Mihocek. Dean is in some good form so an argument could be made there but I can't see Frampton getting dropped before Dean.

Either Reef or Krueger could also come out for Richards if he's healthy. It all depends on whether McRae wants to go for a predominately tall forward line or a short forward line.

Last edited:
Having had a reco myself, the last part of your recovery is to build up stress tolerance…you can probably add the psychological conditioning to that as well. You can’t emulate a stretch of AFL games on a trampoline, or at training…next best option is a stint in the VFL but even that doesn’t compare. I’d want to see a stretch 4-5 full games at VFL level, where he’s doing everything he would normally be required to do before playing him off the bench in the AFL.

I would not be rushing him back, it’s unfair on the player and the team.

No one said anything about rushing him back, and by “good to go” I meant full training and making himself available for VFL selection, not seniors. You made that leap on your own.

Who would be vying for JFN's spot?
Little John is playing the Nick or Crisp quasi just behind the pack runner role. He's safe until we get all our mids back, at which point it becomes a discussion about whether we go back to rotating a mid through that spot.

Couldn't then and can't now decide. It was such a risky kick but it might have been the only option? An unsolved mystery.
I think he turned inboard expecting we'd have someone to dish off to - someone was out of position - and then he went Ohhh Shittt.

Ins and outs for me

Ins: Pendlebury, Degoey (if healthy), Mihocek, Markov, possibly Richards

Outs: Macrae, Sullivan, Dean (or possibly Frampton), TJ, possibly either Reef or Krueger

Just taking out like for like players.

Macrae and Sullivan a like for like midfielders for Degoey and Pendlebury so that’s a no brainer. If Degoey is not healthy then I'd keep Sullivan in the side.

TJ is like for like for Markov so he’ll come in. TJ for me isn’t AFL ready, played well but would rather an experienced premiership player like Markov in the side.

And either Dean or Frampton need to come out for Mihocek, can't have four key defenders in Dean, Frampton, Moore and Howe all in our backline. Either Dean comes out for Mihocek, then Frampton moves back to defence and Mihocek goes into the forward line, or just a straight swap for Frampton and Mihocek. Not sure who I'm leanning towards, Dean is in some good form so maybe drop Frampton but its almost a 50/50 that I can't choose.

Either Reef or Krueger could also come out for Richards if he's healthy. It all depends on whether McRae wants to go for a predominately tall forward line or a short forward line.

can't be dropping Frampton and keeping Dean. Frampton was playing well in the backline and had to be moved forward due to injuries.

no coincidence he went back after half time last game and the backline looked better.

can't be dropping Frampton and keeping Dean. Frampton was playing well in the backline and had to be moved forward due to injuries.

no coincidence he went back after half time last game and the backline looked better.
Yeah, as I said I can't choose. Would be better having the experience of Frampton over Dean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Pendles, I wouldn’t rush him back. His onfield leadership and in-game coaching was critical to us in last year’s finals, and he therefore needs to be absolutely cheery ripe for this year’s finals. We also dont need to manipulate the date of his 400th game. So what if it’s against Carlton at the G? I’m not convinced we play well in the ‘emotional’ games. We lost to Sydney this year when we unfurled the flag, and very nearly lost to North in Bruzzy’s 200th. Making a really big deal of these achievements is very Eddie. I reckon Fly would prefer less pre-game hype.

So let Pendles return at his own pace and when he’s 100% ready. It will work better for him and for us. No other side has a master of his calibre. He’s our finals super man.

Re Pendles, I wouldn’t rush him back. His onfield leadership and in-game coaching was critical to us in last year’s finals, and he therefore needs to be absolutely cheery ripe for this year’s finals. We also dont need to manipulate the date of his 400th game. So what if it’s against Carlton at the G? I’m not convinced we play well in the ‘emotional’ games. We lost to Sydney this year when we unfurled the flag, and very nearly lost to North in Bruzzy’s 200th. Making a really big deal of these achievements is very Eddie. I reckon Fly would prefer less pre-game hype.

So let Pendles return at his own pace and when he’s 100% ready. It will work better for him and for us. No other side has a master of his calibre. He’s our finals super man.

We've got another rester!

Hasn't he already been declared fit?

I wouldn't think he's being rushed back, VP.
And SP10, of all players, would know if he's right to go.

We've got another rester!

Hasn't he already been declared fit?

Don’t include me in the resters! This is Pendles we’re talking about. The Rolls Royce. The Prince of, um, something. Why send him up to Queensland to play at a dinky toy stadium when he can continue to, well, rest up in Melbourne as he mentally prepares for the gruelling back end of the year, and another outstanding finals series. Makes sense to me.🥸

Don’t include me in the resters! This is Pendles we’re talking about. The Rolls Royce. The Prince of, um, something. Why send him up to Queensland to play at a dinky toy stadium when he can continue to, well, rest up in Melbourne as he mentally prepares for the gruelling back end of the year, and another outstanding finals series. Makes sense to me.🥸
The Prince of Possessions, the Fief of 400, the Sultan of the Shitdown defence - he leads like Maximus, gets his hands dirty and has to be on the front line for as long as possible.

I reckon he mentally prepared for the back-end of this year while he sneezed during the North Match.

Dinky stadium or not, he directs the troops on all soils North to South, West to East. Just play him.

You sound like you are "rest curious" at this stage.

Sorry, not a key role in the resters, but I've slotted you into a back pocket.

Pies season highlights for some:

1719371524073.png

I still rate his first year at the club as his best, played predominantly wing that year.
I rated his 42 goals as a forward in 2018 as his best years output. He's looked better since he's been forward this year too if you ask me. Plays like a natural forward. I hope we keep him there.

I can't actually tell if you're being serious with this question so I'm going to assume you are

Because we brought him back after only a week or two from what was being described as a "groin issue" that they thought could possibly be on the track of being OP and he got hurt again?

Like...they obviously made the wrong call. It's ok to say that. No one has called for Wade or the medicos to be sacked or flipped their shit over it. Mistakes happen. It's just unfortunate this one cost us one of our best players for a month.

So all I wanted them to do back then (and now) is err on the side of caution with our best players

Chatting to someone who was formerly involved in the clubs medical team. They mentioned that JDG has had groin issues for years, so it's not as if this is just a recent issue. It's clearly something he and the club have been managing for a lengthy period of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back