Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care if Matho is leaving after this year, what he has shown in the VFL is enough to give him a run over Lyons next week.

We want to win and to do that you put your best players on the park. It's why we'll still play McStay, even though he is leaving.

Maybe Matho comes in and doesn't do a great job, then you send him back but when he is banging the door down while Lyons is in a nursing home, it's common sense to attempt the swap.

Are we a chance of missing the top 8 from here? Realistically our run home is rough and there is a few teams knocking on the door below us.
Mathematically everyone but Geelong and Melbourne are but realistically no

The same problems occur week in week out.

Midfield smashed.
Forwards unaccountable when the ball is coming out of our forward line.
Tall forwards not bringing the ball to ground.
Missing important set shots for goals — McCluggage’s in last quarter for example.
Missed tackles.
Flaky forwards - all of them have 1 good game every 3 or 4.

I think we are going to scrape into the final 8 at best but there is not a top 4 in this team until all of the above are addressed.

Overall I didn't think our effort was good enough from Senior players.

Lyons, Bailey for starters ,just jogging along around the contest , Hipwood ,Rayner look like they're trying hard but just too clumsy with any execution and no second efforts.

I've taken this one bad. We still should've pinched it and couldn't take the easiest of opportunities.

I don't see the backline to blame in any way at all . Essendon were streaming in with 2 or 3 players, chaser and harassers nowhere within cooee.

I think it's fine for Fagan not to want to make big changes. He knows the depth isn't there and our only chance of coming close to winning a premiership is all our guns magically finding form at the same time

TBerry isn't going to come in and play well in a final but Lyons might, maybe.
Do you think ?

I'm hoping to but rate it about a 20% chance.

Over to you Fages. We have a problem with our midfield and probably the best midfield player in the reserves competition who you won’t select. What is the solution? Show us next week.

I’m willing to write this one off with so many outs, but the same problems still remain. Midfield is obviously a flaw and wasn’t going to be fixed with so many changes though it’s pretty poor that no one stood up in there. Who is willing to run two ways?

Big O missed directly in front. Glug did the same. Daniher with the typical screamer attempt that went too early. Hipwood with an unnecessary push rather than competing in the air. Madden turning his back on loose players.

We did the team things last year. Everyone wants to be a hero and it doesn’t look like we are playing like a team that wants to work hard together. Still waiting for the fire to be lit.

I liked Cockatoo, Michael and Lester. Would like them to hold their spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams couldn’t run, if they moved him onto Wright he would have led him on a merry dance. Lester wouldn’t have had a hope.

In a day where we had a patchwork defence struggling to work together, we had to keep it fairly simple. I can’t fault Fagan for backing Payne in.

The correct matchup for Wright was Harris Andrews or a fit Adams. Neither were available to us.
How many goals did Wright kick? Wright destroyed Payne to the point he could have finished his career. Instead of using injuries and umpires as an excuse, maybe look at the players who did play.

The absences of Zorko and Berry were profoundly felt in the middle. Even so, there is something missing.

Wish the AFL would let us play Ashcroft now

with 9 of the best 22 missing?
Yes, thats my point. The comment was made our depth maybe not that bad with all those players out because we were so close. My point is IMO Essendon are not very good and thats why we were so close. Was the depth in our group the thing that kept us so close 0r the fact we were playing a lowly team. Strange with all our outs we were still $ 1.35 to win the game and Eseendon were $3.15 or something. Thats because who we were playing. Only My Opinion.

Well that puts a pen thru our second tier, madden , sharp'. Lester ect not worth a cold pie , midfield was poor and key forwards didn’t give a Yelp . This is a significant loss , would have thought those on the cusp would have thrown everything at the bombers …. But no they didnt

I hope we trade for another inside midfielder, because today's centre clearances were ridiculous.
Ashcroft come on down. Walks into this side, sadly.

Wish the AFL would let us play Ashcroft now

I have a plan brab, but it relies on the technology that was used in the popular film ‘faceoff’

Midfield sucks. Imagine next year if no Lachie? We're cooked.
Never give Ryan Lester another game in the seniors.
Nice things to see from Payne, Michael, Madden, Sharp. One positive to take out of all this.
Message to Fagan - please play more of our list, not just when you have to. How can we build depth to the list (and at key parts of the field - such as the backline) and not capitulate with a couple players out if you don't do this? Richmond in their prime years were VERY good at building a system that worked, even with players out. Why can't we try to emulate this??

Overall I didn't think our effort was good enough from Senior players.

Lyons, Bailey for starters ,just jogging along around the contest , Hipwood ,Rayner look like they're trying hard but just too clumsy with any execution and no second efforts.

I've taken this one bad. We still should've pinched it and couldn't take the easiest of opportunities.

I don't see the backline to blame in any way at all . Essendon were streaming in with 2 or 3 players, chaser and harassers nowhere within cooee.
It's funny to count Bailey (22), Hipwood (24), and Rayner (22) as senior players but I suppose they were in this match relative to some of their team mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back