Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't expect an 18 year old to save us. We need a mature body with the strength and speed to win the ball against 25 year old men.
We expected 18 year olds to save us a few years ago, they did as well for the most part.

Look at Daicos at Collingwood, look at plenty of top talent over the years come in and have an impact. Joel Selwood came into a very good Cats side in 2007 as a kid and never looked back etc.

I'm not saying Ashcroft will immediately have that level of impact but he has potential to do it.

We expected 18 year olds to save us a few years ago, they did as well for the most part.

Look at Daicos at Collingwood, look at plenty of top talent over the years come in and have an impact. Joel Selwood came into a very good Cats side in 2007 as a kid and never looked back etc.

I'm not saying Ashcroft will immediately have that level of impact but he has potential to do it.
Daicos plays off half back, not inside midfield. Of course rookies can make contributions, I'm just saying to be realistic. An 18 year old, even one as good as Ashcroft, isn't going to fix this midfield by themselves.

I thought of the players that came in, Madden showed the most and would be good with a stronger team around him. We need his pace in the side. The loss was predictable because we have been reliant on our defence to win games and with Rich, Andrews, Answerth, Coleman and Gardiner out we were always going to struggle. Lose 5 first choice defenders and most teams would struggle. Clearly a better midfield would make a huge difference, but it is unlikely to happen this year.

Daicos plays off half back, not inside midfield. Of course rookies can make contributions, I'm just saying to be realistic. An 18 year old, even one as good as Ashcroft, isn't going to fix this midfield by themselves.
Another good example is someone like Walsh, who IMO finalised the completion of the Blues midfield.

Ashcroft alone is not the saviour but if you put him next to Neale and get another gun into the midfield, then you can transform the midfield quickly.

according to afl player ratings our best on was jarryd lyons

are we all just horrendously wrong

Another good example is someone like Walsh, who IMO finalised the completion of the Blues midfield.

Ashcroft alone is not the saviour but if you put him next to Neale and get another gun into the midfield, then you can transform the midfield quickly.

Getting in Hewett and Cerra along with Kennedy going to another level helped too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's something putrid about our M/F set up. We seem to get first dibs often enough but the opposition steamrolls in from their defensive side and take it away. Time after time after time. Obviously we're aware but seem unable to stem the tide.

according to afl player ratings our best on was jarryd lyons

are we all just horrendously wrong

Those ratings are flawed. I don't even know what the criteria is supposed to be but it often ends up with some perplexing results.

And not test every day like they don’t have too. Honestly amateur hour and served themselves right.
No. If you have untested positive players they can spread it to each other unknowingly. More players test positive eventually if you test more rarely.

On the plus side I thought Madden,Cockatoo, Michael and Fullarton all showed a bit,but Sharp looks a mile off.
The midfield was terrible,absolutely slaughtered out of the centre clearances AGAIN! Zero defensive pressure in the centre square. Lyons has been doing it for years but when he is struggling there is no one to step up.Zorko was the other defensive midfielder in the past but those days are gone. Rayner in particular provides very little defence, McCluggage not much better. Until we find an answer to that we can’t expect to win against the top sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back