Preview Round 17 2024 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday July 6, 7.30pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just can’t see us beating that Carlton side atm. We are at opposite ends of the confidence spectrum.
Agree. Cripps 40+ possessions last two games and Walsh and De Koning also flying.

Giants without Taylor, Kelly, Cog's half fit and potentially Ash makes it tough. Game plan built on run and linking up and these players are all a key to this.

Hope the Giants can compete. Post Blues the draw gets a little bit easier and things can change quickly.

Agree. Cripps 40+ possessions last two games and Walsh and De Koning also flying.

Giants without Taylor, Kelly, Cog's half fit and potentially Ash makes it tough. Game plan built on run and linking up and these players are all a key to this.

Hope the Giants can compete. Post Blues the draw gets a little bit easier and things can change quickly.
I agree with the last bit

Win this and the season turns around

Does Peatling get full games with Kelly out? Seems he is most effective in the middle. I read he had 35 and 7 clearances in the twos. Is he a chance to play a bigger role especially against a big Blues midfield? Just been keeping half an eye on him. Would love the Tiges to have look. Thanks for any feedback.

Does Peatling get full games with Kelly out? Seems he is most effective in the middle. I read he had 35 and 7 clearances in the twos. Is he a chance to play a bigger role especially against a big Blues midfield? Just been keeping half an eye on him. Would love the Tiges to have look. Thanks for any feedback.
One, stay away from him. He is one of my favorites due to his effort and passion to work hard.
Plus a Western Sydney boy. He is best 22 in my eyes. Local hero who is essential to our club in our home.
Two, would say he does get full games due to his pressure and our mids being useless in said pressure over the last 8 weeks.

It's probably between Peatling, McMullin & Thomas for the sub role. McMullin's had it a few times, so they might not want to give it to him again. Peatling's had it a few times too, though. For the inside grunt, I do hope that we put Peatling in the run-on team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Peatling get full games with Kelly out? Seems he is most effective in the middle.
We all seem to rate his effort and energy, but he has been dropped several times this year which tells you a story about where the coaching staff see him in our pecking order. Assume he will start in the middle with one of Thomas, Jones or McMullin to be the sub this week. We won't start all three of those little blokes.

Team is underwhelming, Aleer's match up is a real worry, whoever he gets will look to get him 1on1 and likely get a bag. I'd roll the dice on Walsh and just go head to head with him, but I'm going Cumming on Cripps. Has the body to compete with him and the defensive nous and can also get his own ball so it's not as negative as Bedford being in there who doesn't bring much offensively if he goes to Walsh. Hope the fwd line does something different, need to get the ball in way quicker.

Team is underwhelming, Aleer's match up is a real worry, whoever he gets will look to get him 1on1 and likely get a bag. I'd roll the dice on Walsh and just go head to head with him, but I'm going Cumming on Cripps. Has the body to compete with him and the defensive nous and can also get his own ball so it's not as negative as Bedford being in there who doesn't bring much offensively if he goes to Walsh. Hope the fwd line does something different, need to get the ball in way quicker.
Aleer is young and will develop into a star. The problem is expecting him to be a star now

My guess would be Aleer on McKay (Curnow would be too strong).

Aleer has to use his athleticism and just spoil everything that comes his way.

McMullin for sub.

Ash to be a late out with XOH taking his spot.

Seems Ash won’t be playing? Also Kingsley addresses the issue of soft tissue injury issues discussed in the thread

On Thursday, Kingsley was asked if there is a problem at the club with soft-tissue injuries and load due to the extensive number of players experiencing similar injuries.

"We have done a lot of work... I felt like we were over the hump, Kelly again hurting his calf, maybe we haven't solved the problems in that space, so we continue to dig and work out why, adjusting our program accordingly," said the GWS coach

Conversely, a loss might put the nail in this season's coffin. It's a massive game for us.
It is shaping up as a season with only 2 good teams, Sydney and Carlton.
Unfortunately we play both twice.
The worst outcome is a thrashing by Carlton and more injuries, that probably ends our season. We still have the 6th best percentage.

A win would be good, but we still need to play better, be harder at stoppages in particular.
Also no loopy handballs to a player that enables their opponent to tackle them.

I'm expecting the worst but there's a few differences between this match and the last one against Carlton which could give us a bit more of a chance.

1. Home field advantage.
  2. Last game the Pittonet + TDK dual ruck combination gave them a huge upper hand at every stoppage throughout the game. Pittonet out gives us more of a chance to arrest that.
  3. Bedford's tagging role will bring a different complexion to the contested ball game which could help us win some more of those clearances.
Our backs are against the wall here, a win puts our season back on track, a loss very nearly ends it.

Fonti debuts!

Joe Fonti will become the club’s fourth debutant of the season, with the dashing defender a late inclusion to Saturday’s side to take on the Blues at ENGIE Stadium.

The 2023 draftee has been named as a replacement for Lachie Ash who will miss the game with a corked calf.

Taken with pick 44 in last year’s draft, Fonti has continued to impress in the club’s VFL side over recent weeks to earn selection for the first time in Adam Kingsley’s team.

While averaging just under 17 touches and five marks per game across the VFL season to date, the exciting young defender has taken his game to another level over recent weeks to put his name forward for selection.

“It’s a little bit nerve-wracking but definitely exciting,” Fonti said following the news.

“I didn’t think it would come this early, but I’ve been playing some alright footy in the VFL and that’s been noticed and I’ve been rewarded with this opportunity.”

Relatively new to the backline, the former midfielder has been making the most of his time at the club and the ability to learn from some of the best defenders in the game.

“The time I have spent here so far has been the best time of my life,” he said.

“You learn the system and then when that becomes second nature you can then sort of start focusing on your own game and build confidence off the back of that and that’s what I've tried to do.

“As far as players, I've taken a lot out of Lachie Ash and Lachie Whitfield’s game, I try to model my game off those two.

“Even Harry Perryman and Connor Idun’s one-on-one work defensively. When I first came to the club that was a big work on for me so certainly try to take a leaf out of their book.”

Known for his dash and dare off half-back, elite speed and great hands, the 19-year-old said he is looking forward to testing his game at AFL level.

“I just need to play to my strengths and play the way I've been playing all year,” he said ahead of Saturday’s clash against the Blues.

“Just be reliable defensively and do my job whoever I'm on.”

Fonti becomes the fourth debutant of the season and the second out of the 2023 draft class, all of whom share a house together.

“Our house is always lively so not a lot will probably change, but I'm sure they’ll all be super happy for me,” he said.

“We’ve all been working away in the VFL together for some time now, except for Harvey [Thomas] but we spoke yesterday and he’s glad that he'll be playing at the same that I’ll be playing and that we’ll get to share that moment.”

The GIANTS take on Carlton in a blockbuster Saturday night clash at ENGIE Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back