Prediction Round 13, 2024: Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why I don't know why he is getting praise a tagger when we aren't actually committing to it (or he isn't really doing it well).

Tagging Crouch for a quarter then letting him rack up 30 possessions as we get our pants pulled down by 99 points (or holding Steele to 0 touches at quarter time then what, stopping while he has 8 touches in the second quarter and then leads the Saints to victory?)

But then we have to hear about how we like him as a tagger and that's his spot in the side.
Makes me wonder if the issue is either that Sheed isn't a tagger, or that Simmo doesn't really know how to use taggers? Or both?

if posters are cranky they’re in the team they should be more disappointed at lack of growth from underneath rather than taking it out on Sheed and Gaff (and Jones). They’ll play until they get pushed out.
I think that’s the point many have been making is that those ‘underneath’ don’t always get a fair go. First, their good WAFL form may be ignored. Second, even if selected, they may be subbed on too late to be able show much. Or third, they may be played out of position.

Let’s go back to Greg Clark. Possibly not an AFL player (although might contribute as much as 2024 Sheed?) but rather than him being in/out and playing out of position, give him three games in the centre, then if no good we start putting a line through his name. Similarly, Trew etc etc.

These are the sort of ‘experiments’ a rebuilding team can make. We only have so many players. So when we delist I’d want to be sure we’re really confident they weren’t AFL level because we’d left no stone unturned.

Makes me wonder if the issue is either that Sheed isn't a tagger, or that Simmo doesn't really know how to use taggers? Or both?
Hutchings was a pretty good tagger and Simmo used him well.

I just don't think Sheed is particularly good at it - if he was then he would be utilised as one for longer than a quarter or a half before dropping it.

I feel we dodged a bullet last week with a tall team and just beat the rain .

This week we are even taller and have lost 2 guys reid and trew who would win the ground balls .

If it rains I think we struggle
Harley's field kicking is sublime and tk prob the second best behind him, every fwd entry will be at the ankles of our kpf's and then factor in the rain. The north clash is not a tall fwd line game, this could be a disaster

Harley's field kicking is sublime and tk prob the second best behind him, every fwd entry will be at the ankles of our kpf's and then factor in the rain. The north clash is not a tall fwd line game, this could be a disaster

We are a 100% too tall.

But if we can get Hough to lock down Curtis and Gov/Barrass on Larkey i cant see them really kicking a good enough score.

Also their backline is rubbish.

I think that’s the point many have been making is that those ‘underneath’ don’t always get a fair go. First, their good WAFL form may be ignored. Second, even if selected, they may be subbed on too late to be able show much. Or third, they may be played out of position.

Let’s go back to Greg Clark. Possibly not an AFL player (although might contribute as much as 2024 Sheed?) but rather than him being in/out and playing out of position, give him three games in the centre, then if no good we start putting a line through his name. Similarly, Trew etc etc.

These are the sort of ‘experiments’ a rebuilding team can make. We only have so many players. So when we delist I’d want to be sure we’re really confident they weren’t AFL level because we’d left no stone unturned.

Are we saying Greg Clark deserves another year on our senior list? If so, whose spot on the list that was out of contact/drafted last year does he take?

Jack Williams? No
Harvey Johnston? No
Clay Hall? No
Tyler Brockman? No?

I just gave you a whole list of players who were selected for AFL based on their WAFL form.

Who has been consistently among the best at WAFL level who is not getting selected for AFL?

It takes more than one good game in WAFL to come in to the frame for a call up. Trew has had solid form, but there have been others who have been better, and better for longer in the WAFL.

Trew hasn’t been as good as sheed, and Culley has gone past him in the last couple of weeks too.

That’s why he’s on the outer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel we dodged a bullet last week with a tall team and just beat the rain .

This week we are even taller and have lost 2 guys reid and trew who would win the ground balls .

Are we, though?

Waterman for Williams makes us slightly smaller although Waterman has been playing taller than his ~190cm.

Culley for Reid makes us taller but Culley is a straight swap for Reid as a big midfielder who can go forward and be a target, albeit a taller and slower one.

Hutchinson for Trew makes us taller but assuming either he or Maric is the sub, it’s pretty negligible.

I melted about the selections last week but it turned out not to be an issue, and the weather is looking similar ie rain isn’t hitting until the end of the game.

Clark is captain of Subi and getting lots of the ball... But his team is below WC haha

Clark is just a very good WAFL player, due mainly cos of his size, and that’s about it.

Could be give us what sheed is currently giving us? Maybe, or maybe a little less, but sheed is heading for retirement next year and if he was out of contract this year, he’d be on the verge of being delisted himself.

Like…. That isn’t a “selection integrity” issue at all.

TK can hit some lace out I50’s but he’s too inconsistent to be considered a good ball user.

Culley is probably our 2nd best kick among mids. His long kicks in particular are quite sublime.

I still don't know why people are melting over Trew not getting games over gaff or Sheed. Trew is an inside player, Sheed and Gaff can play outside roles. We have plenty of inside mids better than Trew.
Trew is depth only, we are better off with Trew in an emergency than some 18 year old with Yeo and Culley coming off injuries and Reid/Ginbey being so young

It's all good Trew is doing his role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly is not our 2nd best field kick at all .

Regularly butchers the ball sometimes for whole games .

Best kicks in our team are ryan , maric , hough , sheed ( when he has time and space ) and this year McGovern ( when did that happen ? )

Both longy and dewar are very tidy too .

I still don't know why people are melting over Trew not getting games over gaff or Sheed. Trew is an inside player, Sheed and Gaff can play outside roles. W e have plenty of inside mids better than Trew.
Trew is depth only, we are better off with Trew in an emergency than some 18 year old with Yeo and Culley coming off injuries and Reid/Ginbey being so young

Who might these plenty of inside mids be?

Kelly is not our 2nd best field kick at all .

Regularly butchers the ball sometimes for whole games .

Best kicks in our team are ryan , maric , hough , sheed ( when he has time and space ) and this year McGovern ( when did that happen ? )

Both longy and dewar are very tidy too .
The point I was trying to make is remove tk and reid and the i50 delivery isn't going to be flash something 'tall' key forwards rely on. There will be a lot of ground balls that don't suit our tall fwd line + the wet

I still don't know why people are melting over Trew not getting games over gaff or Sheed. Trew is an inside player, Sheed and Gaff can play outside roles. We have plenty of inside mids better than Trew.

I don't rate trew, but having 1qtr as a sub isn't really fair nor giving him the opportunity to show anything

Baffles me how they have treated Trew.
Or maybe they see Trew at training and on a regular basis and know his shortcomings and when he plays in the seniors they are fully aware he isn't up to it yet.

I mean would they be treating reid and ginbey the same if they weren't up to it? Of course they would but obviously they are miles ahead of Trew despite how long he's been on our list.

Simmo showing again why he's not the man to lead us forward. Gaff & Sheed still there, Trew treated like shit again. Absolutely no value in having the former in the team especially against a weak North side. Thank God Waterman is back. Going to be a wet slog if the forecast is to believed.
I don't like the selection of gaff and sheed either and my selection day melts prove this but we are without Kelly, hunt, reid and long.

I'm quite sure once they are available again sheed and gaff will get squeezed out or do you think they will keep Kelly and reid out for sheed and gaff?

I think there were too many tall forwards last week. We ran out of legs in the end, Ryan and Cripps got 3 each and I think Darling maybe got 2 but we faded late.

Hutchinson is 22, he's hopefully got a good fitness base to work with albeit not with AFL pre-season style training.

Waterman runs harder than JWill and is faster so we get better pressure there.

Culley for Reid is a small difference although Reid does feature very high in pressure acts.

If Hutchinson comes in and Maric is the sub I think the team overall is slightly faster or at least much more agile.

Surely Petch plays better as well and that could make a big difference to the optics of the team overall being fast if he gets the ball more.

Kind of annoying Liam Ryan can do this but has bottled multiple gimme goals in the past fortnight

Are we saying Greg Clark deserves another year on our senior list? If so, whose spot on the list that was out of contact/drafted last year does he take?
Heck no, just an example. I was simply trying to avoid the controversy over current players.

And I don't claim to be an expert but simply summarising what many others are discussing. If you disagree, fine. :)

The Trew thing is not (or rarely) people melting about ‘how is game winner Zane Trew not getting picked, we’re no chance now’.

It’s…

a) how can we properly assess these fringe players (see: Clark, Winder) if they aren’t given an extended crack in their main position, rather than shoehorned into awkward roles or given sub bursts every other month.

The counterpoint to that is that the coaches see them every day in training, and I’m not losing sleep over the Eagles cutting ties with any of them, but given the fans’ main exposure is through games it can be frustrating trying to get a read on players when we feel they never get a chance.

Hence the hand wringing about selection integrity (which I think is misplaced in this specific scenario, even though I’m no Sheed fan). A broader discussion about selection integrity over the years is certainly worthwhile, though I suspect I could go onto any board on this site and find a fringe player that the moron coach isn’t using correctly or giving a chance. When you’re down the bottom of the ladder and as desperate for talent as we are, it gets magnified and rightly so.

b) if this was the plan for Trew (eg even when our midfield is injured/suspended and he showed good WAFL form, he still doesn’t play) then why did we keep him last year instead of throwing an equally low probability dart at the rookie list just in case we unearthed one.

I don’t think Trew is a world beater and it’s an easy delist decision, I don’t think we’re worse off for him not playing this week, but those are the discussions people are having, not simply “why isn’t he being picked in our best 22”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back