Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

We had 30 tackles up to 3/4 time which l couldn't believe. That shows along with the high number of uncontested footy Essendoom had the lack of effort by our guys...
I’m not one to check stats during a game, but that was one number I looked at at 3/4 time as our energy looked way off. Despite the low energy I was surprised at how low our 3/4 tackle count was.

He’s worse in the ruck. He can’t take a contested mark nor can he halve a contest. He also allows the best defender to go to Mihocek.

It’s not close. Don’t get sucked in by his late goals.
Cox is 15kg and 16cm bigger than Kreuger - it’s not even a close contest as to who gives better Ruck competitiveness or presence on the field.

Cox is 15kg and 16cm bigger than Kreuger - it’s not even a close contest as to who gives better Ruck competitiveness or presence on the field.
I really miss Mason Cox
I’ve said a number of times, he’s so important to us, even if he doesn’t look like he’s contributing, he is.

That size is hard to match up on. He allows us to go with our ideal structure.

I really miss Mason Cox
I’ve said a number of times, he’s so important to us, even if he doesn’t look like he’s contributing, he is.

That size is hard to match up on. He allows us to go with our ideal structure.

And it explains why we’ve loaded up on young ruckmen. Cox isn’t going to be playing forever. So we’ve got Smit, Begg and Steene competing to be his replacement.

Krueger taking so many CB’s suggested DC had an issue.

+ Mihocek rucking!

(Up until last night he’s won 5 hit outs in his whole career)

We should all be extremely grateful for having won the flag last year. Virtually everything went right and we grabbed our chance.

This year injuries have revealed our lack of depth and over-dependence on a handful of aging stars.

The reality is that we’re not a contender and have far fewer emerging stars in the 18-24 age bracket than just about every other team. And with virtually no draft capital to invest, that situation is not going to improve any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d just like to say before the nuffie posters wake up from their drunken stupors that I for one have appreciated the respectable discussion about last night’s game in the last couple of pages.

The hating on our players, particularly when personal insults come into it, disgusts me as a supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The height and contested marking from Essendon was crucial. This gave them so many shots at goal, and with their use of the same tactics that brought us undone at Gold coast, linking up in the middle after a multitude of accurate short passes, we struggled all the way.
Other teams now know that this is how to beat us.
Our defence is much criticized, but they kept a rampaging midfield from setting up a mammoth score in the middle quarters.
Umpiring favoured Essendon in all the line ball decisions, probably as a reaction to the terrible run they got last week.
They shut down a lot of very promising moves when they anticipated handballs to running players.
It seems that it is OK to hold Nick Daicos whether he has the ball or not.
Holding the ball is back where it was at the start of the year.
It may disrupt the whole team setup, but players like Merrett cannot be left alone. Perhaps the team strategy has had its day and needs updating.

Disappointed with our lack of intensity last night.

Absolutely gutted with the extra injuries.

Not much more can be said, but back to it on Friday.

I hope a few boys are withdrawn from the VFL game, because we'll need them next next Friday.

His increased ruck power is a given.

I’m just saying it wouldn’t have made any difference to the result.

If you ask me what would have made a bigger difference last night, Cox lining up or the players who actually took the field tackling and chasing...

Not to downplay big Mase's importance but his presence alone wouldn't have reversed our fortune.

Krueger played with spirit and competed hard. Any criticism of him is harsh. We would have done well if the rest played with his and Long's endeavour.

Last edited:
The height and contested marking from Essendon was crucial. This gave them so many shots at goal, and with their use of the same tactics that brought us undone at Gold coast, linking up in the middle after a multitude of accurate short passes, we struggled all the way.
Other teams now know that this is how to beat us.
Our defence is much criticized, but they kept a rampaging midfield from setting up a mammoth score in the middle quarters.
Umpiring favoured Essendon in all the line ball decisions, probably as a reaction to the terrible run they got last week.
They shut down a lot of very promising moves when they anticipated handballs to running players.
It seems that it is OK to hold Nick Daicos whether he has the ball or not.
Holding the ball is back where it was at the start of the year.
It may disrupt the whole team setup, but players like Merrett cannot be left alone. Perhaps the team strategy has had its day and needs updating.
Their height really stood out at the ground.

Teams are attacking us to the same area I’ve been noticing. The opposition is continually kicking it out wide to their left forward flank near where the 50m line meets the boundary.

GC really exploited it last week, then Essendon again last night.

On a positive note, I’m very happy about the development of Kreuger as a forward option over the past month. He has speed and agility that is very rare amongst players of his size.

We shouldn’t be judging him on ruck output but instead as a 2nd/3rd tall forward. On that measure, he is going really well.

Freddy plays with great heart and could become a Best 22 lock if he can finally get a decent block of consecutive matches without injury under his belt.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Btw, I think it’s poor for people to be potting Kruges in particular. He was fumbly early but had a good second half and was by far our best forward.
Easy to forget that Kreuger has played just 12 games too

The scoreline flattered us.

That was a 5-6 goal loss, not a close game.
Against a better opposition it would have been. Heck NM were 50 points up against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back