Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Frenetic energy in the first quarter was awesome. Shows we can switch it up when we need to. Looked like tired legs couldn’t keep up as the game unfolded. Yet still, Naicos hits that last shot on goal, Jordie plays a bit better, Bruz hits some targets, and we might have won. We might be better off with the slower starts and build towards the end of the match.

Nevertheless, I love my club. We have the best coach and the best culture. Our players rock. We’ll be okay. We can, and will, beat any team, don’t care who they are. Keep the faith. Anything could happen from here, footy is full of surprises.

Pies back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Morning after and all that, I admire your optimism, but nah, no back to back for us.

I can’t recall a season so cruelled by injuries, and the ongoing impact of those injuries. And so many debutants - must be close to a record for us (can’t be stuffed doing the research to confirm).

We’re limping to the end of 2024. We may cling onto a place in the eight, but at this stage that would be an achievement.

I have faith in Fly getting the best out of this banged up, patched together group, but even he can’t produce miracles.

Tough times for us fans, and horrible when BF descends into posters attacking each other. Appreciate your positivity.👍

I hate them but I must rate them higher than most on here because I just don't believe Essendon look average on paper, are crap or we made them look good tonight.

The reality is even if you think I'm wrong you had to at least acknowledge they drew with us on Anzac day and have gone incredibly close to beating us in all of one game over the last 3 years. Alarm bells were already ringing and coupled with our recent form, further injury, this result isn't at all surprising.

The match up well on us and when pondering why I think it's because they have a real strong group of flanker types, who cover the ground well but ones who are not totally irrelevant in an aerial contest either.

This is something that could be said of us also.
Agree, look at their younger lot coming through, they have a lot to work with compared to us.

We shouldn't be having Pendles, Howe, Sidey as our best ons.
Where is the support role players coming to support Nick in this transition.

A few cameos here and there isn't cutting it in this league anymore.

We need a new game style and the tolls to deliver it.

If we have any draft capital we should be seriously considering some tough calls.

Looking at JDG and even Captain Fantastic himself.

Sent from my SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fly's presser

You said last week you didn't want to put yourselves in a position to chase the game. It happened again. How disappointed were you with the 3rd quarter?

What's the early word on Brody Mihocek's pec injury?

How did the rest of the group deal with the news on Mihocek given his importance?

Do you feel like one of the issues this year is when you lose control of the game it happens for longer periods and too much damage is done to rectify it?

If you compare last year to this year and looking at the differences, do you think there's a multitude of areas where you've fallen away or do you zero in on one or two areas?

Did your players look more gassed to you than usual in the last quarter?

Brody Mihocek is done for the season. How do you address the forward line with other forwards already missing?

What about the younger players in your side, it felt like the likes of Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan and Harvey Harrison were giving you a lift a few months ago. Do you think their energy levels are at the same level as previously?

Zach Merrett seem to get through your system in the first half. Did you consider applying a tag on him at that point?

Is there any part of you tonight that reconsiders whether having an extra day up in Queensland was the best way for you to win this match?

How's Isaac Quaynor pulled up?

How close was Josh Daicos to not playing tonight?

Realistically, how far away is Dan McStay from returning? It was reported tonight that he's close to a return through the VFL next week.

You wouldn't consider an immediate return for McStay straight at AFL level without having played VFL footy, after Melbourne opted to do this with Jake Melkhsam who's returning from an ACL injury as well?

So there was discussion about Merrett, so what happened. The guy literally destroyed us!!!

It's going to be fun, we're going to have some fun wtf, losing Mihocek is devastating for a already non functional F50 setup.

I just want to see Fly get angry. That effort after 1/4 time was so poor, it was frustrating to watch. The guys literally curled up the toes, and let Essendoom walk all over them.
I want to hear Fly be asked why take off Dean, when he just played his best footy in the 3rd quarter, or why we let them have so much uncontested footy, causing them to have 18 marks inside F50. Also we persist with this zone defence which is getting slaughtered. What's going to happen there???, and the shocking form of the Captain. Ask what can we do with him.
These are the things that need to be asked...
Fly is a premiership coach is wanting to stay upbeat in the face of sh*tness,but surely he knows it's not going to be fun, and that the effort last night was insipid. That surely should have seen him seething in that presser.
I'm getting over the hippy happiness. I want to see some anger, huge disappointment and criticism of poor efforts...
My whole week is now f**ked...
We are starting to look like the side that played under Bucks in '21. Slow, sideways movement, turning the ball over, unsure, not confident....

Last edited:
Injuries have seriously impacted our season, it feels like we never really got going and as the year has gone on and the injuries keeping piling up it feels like the fan wall has burst. They pushed as hard as they could but players look mentally drained and the game plan is breaking down because of it.
It’ll be a real challenge to make the 8 from here.

Injuries have seriously impacted our season, it feels like we never really got going and as the year has gone on and the injuries keeping piling up it feels like the fan wall has burst. They pushed as hard as they could but players look mentally drained and the game plan is breaking down because of it.

We ain't making the 8. I will bet my house on it. Way too many holes to plug on what is a slow sinking ship this year.
That's why l say, don't rush McStay back, play him in 2 or 3 games this season. Don't risk any injury to him before the 2025 season.
Get more games into those younger/first year players that have already had a taste. Play Long in the midfield from now until the end of the season.
Build towards '25 and for f**k sake l hope we are talking to and chasing hard a couple of free agents that can come into our side next year and make an impact......

Last edited:
Injuries have hurt however, we started the season with a full list except Dan McStay and played awful footy and lost 3 in a row. That wasn’t injuries.

We then had injuries and played better footy statistically than 2023 (according to champion data).

We lost the dogs game and have been mostly ordinary since.

Injuries have not helped but to me, it’s an attitude and motivation issue.

Injuries have hurt however, we started the season with a full list except Dan McStay and played awful footy and lost 3 in a row. That wasn’t injuries.

We then had injuries and played better footy statistically than 2023 (according to champion data).

So, we started the season with a full list *besides our full back and full forward, and have proceeded to lose just about everyone else for periods

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries have hurt however, we started the season with a full list except Dan McStay and played awful footy and lost 3 in a row. That wasn’t injuries
AFL ****ed us and BL with the gimmick to start the season. 2 years earlier our third game was round 1.

Our midfield got completely exposed that it's Nick Daicos or bust. Nick didn't play a brilliant game so it was bust.

Our tall defenders are the worst in the entire AFL, maybe only above North. Dean struggles most weeks, Frampton was woeful, Moore is mediocre at best.

North at least have Comben who is a gun.

I reckon an off-season with Leppa would improve Dean, Framps five fold.

It's such a waste not having Leppa helping our players.

We have definitely despite what Fly says hit the wall with injury.
System can't cover everything nor do I think EVERY player is so easily replaced.

Nick Daicos has no replacement and the system falls down around him. For example.

We have played catch up footy all season, and mentally it has a toll, also the boys are struggling to find the desire to go again after flagging last year.
Reality is, this season has been a struggle from the get go.

Basically the same stat as last week, slaughtered on the spread, not working hard enough to break from contests, same result.

View attachment 2039699

And just throw this doosy in as well. All of these are uncontested. WTF is going on with our desire to run?

View attachment 2039701

280 uncontested possessions is disgusting. I think the league average is 230, and 18 of those 139 marks were inside F50!!!!. It was a complete lack of effort and desire. It's hard to manufacture effort and commitment when you're not really feeling it, and these guys do not feel it this year....

I’ve been to 11 losing grand finals 3 wins and 2 draws mate so don’t question my support
That’s even more naive than the Darcy love fest
For someone who must be 70 plus years old you post like a child.

Are you Benjamin Button?

North at least have Comben who is a gun.

I reckon an off-season with Leppa would improve Dean, Framps five fold.

It's such a waste not having Leppa helping our players.

Dean was having one of his best games, particularly that 3rd quarter. He was one guy actually putting in an effort, then gets subbed.....🤪
I'm finding some of the decisions hard to understand this season....

Thats the first game from my perspective that i felt we played with a serious lack of pressure. They kept flashing up the Inside 50 tackle stats on the scoreboard as if to just take the piss out of us. The tackle stats also. I'd be a bit disappointed if I were Essendon. They really should have won by 8 goals. Not sure they are much chop either. I've been super proud of they way this team has battled the injury crisis this year. Unfortunately there has to be a point where it overwhelms and it seems that point has come.

Then again, who knows. They are just as likely to come out and win next week. Recent history has shown that you can't write this team off. Just when you do, they will surprise

We have definitely despite what Fly says hit the wall with injury.
System can't cover everything nor do I think EVERY player is so easily replaced.

Nick Daicos has no replacement and the system falls down around him. For example.
Think a big issue with this revolving door of injuries is there is such a lack of continuity in the 23.

In a perfect world, when challenging for a flag, you’d have the same 23 play every week without injuries.

When you’re rebuilding you want to blood the youth. Not when challenging.

We should he challenging and fielding our best 23 each week but we’ve been forced to debut several players, or play VFL blokes who otherwise wouldn’t get a game in a challenging side.

Each week we have multiple forced changes. The team can’t get their groove together when we keep having so many changes.

You need a lot of luck to win a flag.

Thats the first game from my perspective that i felt we played with a serious lack of pressure. They kept flashing up the Inside 50 tackle stats on the scoreboard as if to just take the piss out of us. The tackle stats also. I'd be a bit disappointed if I were Essendon. They really should have won by 8 goals. Not sure they are much chop either. I've been super proud of they way this team has battled the injury crisis this year. Unfortunately there has to be a point where it overwhelms and it seems that point has come.

Then again, who knows. They are just as likely to come out and win next week. Recent history has shown that you can't write this team off. Just when you do, they will surprise

The only good thing next week is that we won't have a proper ruckman and neither do Geelong...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back