Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

our decision making and skill execution was poor last night. That killers on the rebound. The amount of nothing handballs to players who were under pressure when we had full control of the ball was crazy.
Not to mention the number of kicks we sat on our own heads that should have resulted in a forward 50 entry or shot on goal that turned into a turnover and a shot on goal for them looked like we were just tired.

The really damning stat was that our pressure rating was the second lowest in the time Fly has been coach.
I'm sure Fly is pretty pissed off by that.
Great stat - it just reinforces this gloom that all is lost, and that we can’t improve enough to make finals, is hog wash.
Getting our pressure rating up doesn’t require a knowledge of rocket science.

Great stat - it just reinforces this gloom that all is lost, and that we can’t improve enough to make finals, is hog wash.
Getting our pressure rating up doesn’t require a knowledge of rocket science.
Exactly!
We lost by 12 points to a "contender".
Get the pressure back up where it should be, and that game would have been a win.

Yes because people here keep requiring clarification
I don't believe that is what people are requiring.

You have made your point many times over, perhaps time to let it go?

First big test was poor form leading into finals last year - and he smashed it.

Nah, it was getting us within a point of a GF appearance in 2022 after finishing 17th in 2021 and being as low as 11th in round 9.

Mason would have made no difference last night. It was a group failure and he would have just been part of it.

Individual players had zero to do with this loss other than being part of a collective.

I’d rather the team bomb it long down the line to Cox than Richards.

Could you imagine if the players might read threads like this? I really hope they are banned from this type of awful negativity and personal sledging and/or have the sense not to read it. Not one of our players cross the white line to play poorly. They try their guts out.

Come on people, the clue is in the name “supporters”. They need us to get around them, get in the trenches, offer some meaningful advice, maybe, but not turn on them. If this was a St Kilda thread I might not like it, but at least I could understand it. This level of vitriol for our mighty Pies? I don’t like it or understand it.

Emotion aside, what are three helpful, practical ideas you have to make our team even more successful? That would be a cool thing for the club to read, and there might even be something that they haven’t thought about. I have a couple, keen to hear from others.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could you imagine if the players might read threads like this? I really hope they are banned from this type of awful negativity and personal sledging and/or have the sense not to read it. Not one of our players cross the white line to play poorly. They try their guts out.

Come on people, the clue is in the name “supporters”. They need us to get around them, get in the trenches, offer some meaningful advice, maybe, but not turn on them. If this was a St Kilda thread I might not like it, but at least I could understand it. This level of vitriol for our mighty Pies? I don’t like it or understand it.

Emotion aside, what are three helpful, practical ideas you have to make our team even more successful? That would be a cool thing for the club to read, and there might even be something that they haven’t thought about. I have a couple, keen to hear from others.

I spat my Wheeties out and giggled heartily at the “They need us to … offer some meaningful advice” bit.

What advice of any meaning could we possibly give to professional footy players and coaches?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lower the eyes and create ground level forward entries, even if its a chaos ball rather than high mark of the year balls. Exception is if its creating a wide forward stoppage.

Work hard on the zone for slow transitions and pressure that last kick to half forward. Its stretching our defence and allowing easy forward entries for our opposition.

Alternate the Naicos Pendlebury Degoey midfield rotation more. I may be wrong but it feels like this setup struggles to get clean clearances. Not knocking the talent. I just want more grunt. Mitchell will be back soon hopefully.

How's that for three?

WHE is not a defender, Howe has made it his.

Markov was way off his game, a liability and especially with Noble out, Q should have been back.

While Markov’s 1v1 game is okay at the moment, he seems to have lost his dare. A couple of times he just stopped after taking a mark when there were options either downfield or running past for quick ball movement. Momentum killers really.

Against a better opposition it would have been. Heck NM were 50 points up against us

Had we tagged Merrett and taken better care of the ball we could have killed the game by quarter time.

But alas we didn't and then got dictated to them.

How about these pearls of wisdom

kick the bloody thing!

Sometimes there is no option ahead if the kicker which the tv do want show.

Man up!

We play a zone defence and its not our DNA to go old school apparently

Open your eyes!

Again the players around the ball need to be an option. The players look like they are trying to figure out where they should be. Naicos seems to know where everyone is around him.

Sometimes the simplest of things change everything.

They’ll have to put their hand up in half a game. Can’t expect anyone to back up again on Friday after playing Sunday. Very tough ask otherwise.

We can manage a 4 day break at senior level to accommodate ANZAC day games, I’m sure we can manage a 5 day break in this instance

Had we tagged Merrett and taken better care of the ball we could have killed the game by quarter time.

But alas we didn't and then got dictated to them.
I think we need to develop a tagger. GWS went to Cripps yesterday and definitely slowed him down from midway through the 2nd.

I think we need to develop a tagger. GWS went to Cripps yesterday and definitely slowed him down from midway through the 2nd.

Early days but I would love Long to be developed as a tagger. He can run all day and has the body to bother the big bodied mids. It will take a while because he will be outwitted by talented players at first. However he’s the man.

And it's only Bedford lol I like Bedford as a player but his finishing skills imo are poor.

In chess terms it's like using a pawn to capture a queen with Bedford. Lipinski is more a bishop but if it takes out the Queen you do it.

Crisp might be too valuable to be a tagger but would be good.

kick the bloody thing!

Did you not see the number of times our players did exactly that? And it ended up being marked by the opposition in their defense which allowed them to launch a turnover?

Not helpful advice.

Sure, that makes sense when the opposition has the ball. But it doesn’t make any sense when we have the ball - we want to create as much space as possible.

So what to do when the ball is in dispute? Or we miss a target and quickly turn it over?

Not helpful advice.

Open your eyes!

The players do play with their eyes open. Sure, they can take time to look around and find the best option - but no point in players doing that if it just means that they get caught with the footy - as has happened plenty of times since the HTB rule reinterpretation.

And as much as a player may look wide open and yelling for the footy - how do you or I know they aren’t just acting as a decoy to draw the opposition away from where we really want to put the football?

Not helpful advice.

How about these pearls of wisdom

As much as it may all look oh so easy to us punters - we really know SFA about the tactics / strategy of games of footy.

And we only get to take a tiny peek through the window of gameday (and maybe training for some). We don’t have any idea about training loads, fitness levels, team orders / instructions / tactics / strategy, what injuries players might be carrying …

… not to mention understanding what tools the opposition has to counteract any ideas you or I might have.

We’ve got no idea what we don’t know.

Hot tip: If you find yourself getting frustrated about us losing, and that if in your opinion our players just need to do XYZ to win …

… and they aren’t doing XYZ …

… take a deep breath, and take solice in the knowledge that you are wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back