Round 17 - Hawthorn vs Geelong (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thompson's coaching was pathetic tonight with the way he let them play the game on their terms for a half.

He didn't even try to shut Birchall down who was killing them off half back with his run and skill like Christou used to do.

Geelong should have dragged him closer to goal to stop him or played through Birchall's opponent like Roos did with Scotland who is a good sweeper.

Easier said than done when Birchall is 6'4", a good spoiler and quick for his height.

Gun.

Hawks had the better of the coaching duel, but Geelong's midfield and talent was always going to get them over the line in the end.

The Cats forwardline and kicking inside fifty was pathetic tonight.

I expected better and wanted to see more goals kicked.

It took Bartel to kick the goal to put them in front.

Steve Johnson kept trying to play on and pass it off to a teammate instead when he was in range. :confused: :thumbsdown:

Blake handballing into Steve Johnson's head was a better Falcon than McEvoy's dropped mark. :D

That free kick against Taylor was a joke and could have cost them the game. :thumbsdown:

Hawks should have won? Yep and if my uncle had a pussy he would be my auntie. We gave your rabble a chance to win the game in the last quarter by turning the ball over numerous times. Your rabble with access to a full bench and fresh legs (gave up vs St Kilda) couldn't beat a Geelong team that was missing 5 of its star players. You are lucky the umpires kept you in the game.

Ok then, now the facts.

Injuries pre game - Geelong 5, Hawks 4

Injuries during game - Chapman, Osborne - 1 all

Geelong coming off 60 point win training run = fresh.

Geelong coming into the game in supreme form, Hawks the opposite.

Geez, unlucky you were so disadvantaged. :rolleyes: And although the umps didn't affect the game, Geelong got more goals from them, and our bad errors, than vice versa.

Now, instead of being a dead set w***er, why don't you acknowledge that you were well and truly tested and a little lucky to win? Why is that hard to admit? I know the Cats are a better team and gave credit to them for winning despite being out played on the night. A sign of a great team.

It seems the Cats are so rapt up in their time on top of the pile that they can't even give credit where it's due and acknowledge a very good opponent. I know your team would be nervous facing us again.

Whatever, live with your heads up your arses. Will make the loss all that much better when it comes. WCE looked like dominating for years half way through last year. It can change quickly. You have a team of humble champions, the supporters do not exhibit the same qualities.

That Osbourne guy came back on straight away. Chappy didn't.

Just shows how much heart geelong have compared to the Hawks. Hawks not gut running at all during the last QTR.

They can't get close to us with 6 stars out... they have no hope my Feline friends. Rejoice in this fact.

ABLETT,LING,MILBURN,WOJAC,CHAPMAN

We have beaten the hawks without them. The cat's are unbeatable!

How can you unbeatable when you have been beaten already this year?

Isn't this flawed logic?

Just wait and watch little Pup fan, Geelong won't lose another game. We didn't even need Chapman to beat the hawks, fancy that at team is so good they can just say rest up Chap, have a coffee with Lingy,Ablett,Dasher,Wojac and enjoy the game as we thump the so called contender.

That is power.

Congratulations for being the stereotypical arrogant w***er supporter who is full of crap.

I have praised the Cats all along, even though I don't think they played well tonight, and that is why.

We were hardly a rabble though you fool. You escape with a win and then talk shit. The implied pressure of playing the champs won't be as great next time and the silly and costly errors won't be there.

You had 5 out and we had 4 by the way. No Ablett, but good players none the less.

A little more credit required I think. Hawks should have won, you should feel lucky, not arrogant. You can play better but we can also play much better.

You my friend are dillusional, if you think the pressure of playing us will be relieved next time should that next time be against a much stronger Geelong under the weight of finals football. It's been proven time and time again that finals is a completely different story, every aspect of the players mindset and game itself is different, and people continue to underestimate it's effect. Geelong know how to get the job done, do Hawthorn?

This was your best chance to build some serious belief within your club and build a great deal of confidence, but even with us on one leg and momenteum completely against us and behind we still found a way to win, and the Cats will know that and take a great deal away from it. Ever think that those factors you had over us are now gone? Like the bogey factor. You keep talking about how it will benefit you, this result will strengthen us to, quite a bit, which is a scary thought.

The Hawks failed to deliver at crucial times tonight, indicative of the pressure of the night and this will only intensify in September when the men are sorted from the boys. It remians to be seen whether the Hawks can step up.

Don't try and downplay how disadvantaged we were tonight. It's clutching at straws.

Why is it unbelievable, or are you being a smart arse?:rolleyes: I acknowledged that this is the reason Geelong are the best team in the AFL. We were better on the night, but like a champion team Geelong still got the points.

You had injuries, we had momentum, we made some poor mistakes. Geelong 4 points, Hawks 0.

I really respect the Cats supporters in general but there are some real w***ers posting in this thread.

It wasn't the Geelong pressure that cost us goals, it was our own reaction to the circumstances. Choking? Not really. Just the situation. Having played this game we will be better at dealing with it in the future. Perhaps we just tightened up because we were putting the champs to the sword and couldn't quite believe we should/could win.

You should be very happy with the Cats. Now, seriously, you might be flag favourites but you still have to win some finals matches to win it. Would you be nervous facing us, or would we be your preference?

Now matter how big a smart arse some of you be, I think everyone saw tonight that we can beat you, even though we didn't this time. Next time we have a little more big game experience and nail a few more opportunities and the result could concievably be a win to the Hawks.

Nah, Cats are too good.

Geelong without 4 of the biggest guns in footy. I wouldnt read too much into this. Hawks definately had thier chances but in our great game it is never ending how great teams find a way to win at the most dire of times for thier club. This may have given the Hawks some confidence going into a finals series but it also might have been detrimental. Geelong being at thier lowest for selection options and the Hawks still walk away without 4. It will test this young sides maturity for sure.

Ok then, now the facts.

Injuries pre game - Geelong 5, Hawks 4

Injuries during game - Chapman, Osborne - 1 all

Geelong coming off 60 point win training run = fresh.

WORST. ANALYSIS. EVER. EVER.

Congrats Hawthorn, great game, was there and loved (hated) every minute. Could have gone either way. So happy we came out on the right side.

But seriously. EVER.

..............why don't you acknowledge that you were well and truly tested and a little lucky to win? Why is that hard to admit? .........

Not hard to admit, I'll gladly acknowledge we were tested because we were, "a little lucky" though, not so sure about that, we were in front for all bar about five minutes, think it would be more accurate to say we would have been extremely unlucky to lose, especially given the circumstances.

I know your team would be nervous facing us again.

I don't see why, we withstood your best shots and still prevailed, and the team we put on the park next time will be far superior to the one we fielded last night, this was your best chance of beating us and you blew it.

You have a team of humble champions, the supporters do not exhibit the same qualities.

Most of the supporters do.

This whole Geelong would smash Hawthorn at/near full strength belief is a myth. Obviously. Besides, the Hawks side will likely look different come finals, with Crawford, McGlynn and Croad missing from last nights game, with Young and Dew possibly being in the side by then.

Geelong has more quality players out, yes, but that doesn't mean they'll just beat Hawthorn by more. If they play in the GF, it'll be different sides at a different time; you can count on Geelong's form being solid, but I think the Hawks can do better than what they showed last night.

It's about how well the players match up against each other. Take out some of the "usual suspects" and that creates unfamiliarity. Bring them back and it doesn't necessarily mean more pain for the Hawks.

Don't write them off. They can beat Geelong. They probably won't, but they can.

This whole Geelong would smash Hawthorn at/near full strength belief is a myth. Obviously. Besides, the Hawks side will likely look different come finals, with Crawford, McGlynn and Croad missing from last nights game, with Young and Dew possibly being in the side by then.

Good to see you watched the game :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn could have won this game but their kicking was appalling at times. Can the Hawks match Geelong in the finals? Perhaps, but with Ablett, Ling, Chapman, & Milburn (badly missed last night) fit, and the higher stakes of the finals in mind, I know who I'll be backing!

WORST. ANALYSIS. EVER. EVER.

Congrats Hawthorn, great game, was there and loved (hated) every minute. Could have gone either way. So happy we came out on the right side.

But seriously. EVER.

Gee Zus. How dumb are some people? It wasn't even an analysis. It was simply stating a few facts. Such as Geelong had 5 out and we had 4.

Please correct me though oh follower of the great unlisted.:rolleyes:

I find it interesting when people argue against Geelong fans for saying we had 4 1/2 players out (the 1/2 being chappy missing after half time) but the Hawks had theirs out too. Finey had this same argument last night on his show with a Hawks' supporter and Finey basically blew the Hawks' supporter out of the water by comparing those out for the Cats as apposed to the Hawks. It was clear the Cats' outs were more substantial than the Hawks.

Ultimately there were plenty of mistakes made by both teams last night and the umps were simply brilliant :rolleyes: but ultimately it was Geelong's polish that got them over the line.

Gee Zus. How dumb are some people? It wasn't even an analysis. It was simply stating a few facts. Such as Geelong had 5 out and we had 4.

Please correct me though oh follower of the great unlisted.:rolleyes:

Because you framed it as analysis, and stating 'facts' such as these without context implies using them as some sort of measure. That Geelong had 5 out and Hawthorn 4 is an entirely irrelevant fact when who the players were is not considered.

Chapman out, Osborne out is not equal. Osborne came back on for one. Let alone the glaring inequality in their impact up to the point of injury, and likely continuing impact had both remained uninjured.

Hawthorn's lack of form was a disadvantage? You can't say that the level that a team is playing at represents and advantage or disadvantage, it is simply the level that they are playing at, and they will be judged on it. It provides no external influence on the game (as an injury to a player does).

This is what I mean, your so called 'facts' (Geelong fresh after playing the dogs? c'mon.) were either opinions, or without meaning due to lack of context.

Your sarcastic response: "Geez, unlucky you were so disadvantaged. :rolleyes:" is an analysis dumbass. You stated your opinion of the facts, and then made an overall statement based on them. The simplistic nature of it, the bias, and the fact that you imply Geelong was not disadvantaged by injury to a greater extent than Hawthorn, made it the WORST. ANALYSIS. EVER.

(And if my rants don't make it obvious, over to the left, just below 'unlisted', you will find a small mention of Geelong that has always been there. I'm not hiding anything...)

I find it interesting when people argue against Geelong fans for saying we had 4 1/2 players out (the 1/2 being chappy missing after half time) but the Hawks had theirs out too. Finey had this same argument last night on his show with a Hawks' supporter and Finey basically blew the Hawks' supporter out of the water by comparing those out for the Cats as apposed to the Hawks. It was clear the Cats' outs were more substantial than the Hawks.

Ultimately there were plenty of mistakes made by both teams last night and the umps were simply brilliant :rolleyes: but ultimately it was Geelong's polish that got them over the line.

This is pretty much what I have said all along.

Re: the outs. Geelong's outs are definitely better players, but that doesn't account for importance to our team and the style of game we play. Doesn't make a difference to the result if both sides full strength, but i think our outs get under rated somewhat.

Because you framed it as analysis, and stating 'facts' such as these without context implies using them as some sort of measure. That Geelong had 5 out and Hawthorn 4 is an entirely irrelevant fact when who the players were is not considered.

Chapman out, Osborne out is not equal. Osborne came back on for one. Let alone the glaring inequality in their impact up to the point of injury, and likely continuing impact had both remained uninjured.

Hawthorn's lack of form was a disadvantage? You can't say that the level that a team is playing at represents and advantage or disadvantage, it is simply the level that they are playing at, and they will be judged on it. It provides no external influence on the game (as an injury to a player does).

This is what I mean, your so called 'facts' (Geelong fresh after playing the dogs? c'mon.) were either opinions, or without meaning due to lack of context.

Your sarcastic response: "Geez, unlucky you were so disadvantaged. :rolleyes:" is an analysis dumbass. You stated your opinion of the facts, and then made an overall statement based on them. The simplistic nature of it, the bias, and the fact that you imply Geelong was not disadvantaged by injury to a greater extent than Hawthorn, made it the WORST. ANALYSIS. EVER.

(And if my rants don't make it obvious, over to the left, just below 'unlisted', you will find a small mention of Geelong that has always been there. I'm not hiding anything...)

Once again an irrelevant ramble.

I have given far more comprehensive analysis earlier in the thread and praised Geelong for being able to win when below their best. You have simply picked one post to respond to which in itself was in response to some very ungracious posts by Cats fans.

Congratulations to both sides for providing a hard skillful contest.

It was the best game to watch this year imo, and i was more excited to watch this game rather than our game.

Clearly we have the best two teams in the comp. Geelong though claim the top spot all to their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 17 - Hawthorn vs Geelong (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back