Round 18, 2012. My Self Fulfilling Prophecy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2008
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
PERFECT PIES SEND TREMOURS THROUGH THE COMPETITION

Round 18 kicked off last night and the Collingwood Football Club again showed that they remain the dominant force in the competition when they defeated Carlton by 108 points at the MCG. The Magpies only loss this year had come at the hands of the Blues in round 7 and for this proud club shooting for its third straight premiership in 2012, Friday night was payback time. It was a brutal display of skill and efficiency that will have other clubs trembling in the lead up to September.

The match started at a frenetic pace with Dane Swann and Dayne Beams showing they share more than just a first name and a love of artwork when at the opening bounce Andrew Walker pounced on a tap from Cameron Wood only to be trounced in a tag team tackle from the duo that saw this unluckiest of players driven ruthlessly into the turf. He took no further part in the game and, staring at shoulder reconstruction number six, this talented footballer’s career looks to be finished. This act set the tone for the match and while Beams was seemingly at the bottom of every pack last night it was the grizzled veteran Swann who commanded the midfield and saw to it that every kick Carlton took would be earned.

It was all one way traffic and with the Pies taking a 40 point lead into quarter time, the match was over before it began. Steele Sidebottom proved his running ability is unmatched when he found himself with his fourth opponent before the quarter time siren. His relentless run and skill off half back is lethal and last night was no exception as the man seemingly made of Steel went through no less than 6 opponents for the night. His delivery to the power forwards Cloke and Reid during the first quarter was a spectacle to behold.

The next three quarters proved to be more of the same for the Magpies and when Didak put through his third goal and 69th of the season, the Magpies pushed out to a 72 point lead just before half time. The third quarter started to feel like deja-vu for Carlton fans with Marty Clarke stepping up to show that even on a night when he appeared out of sorts, he can never be discounted. He picked up 14 possessions for the quarter as the Blues coaching box could do nothing but shake their heads at the Irish magician and the wealth of talent on hand at Magpie land. Taking a 90 point lead into the final quarter the Pies loped into cruise mode, pushing their lead out by another 3 goals.

First year captain Ben Reid again led from the front with a typically dazzling display from CHF dragging in a phenomenal 18 marks and slotting through 9 majors to go with his 2 behinds. Much has been written about this young man but after stamping himself as the superstar of the competition in the 2011 season, (not to mention his 8 goal Norm Smith grand final performance) and at just 23 years of age, it seems the sky really is the limit for both him and his football club.

In contrast to Collingwood, Carlton looked to be running scared. Fevola it appears is a spent force and was kept to just two kicks and one behind by Nathan Brown while makeshift center half forward Matthew Kruezer put in a similar performance against ‘Mr Versatile’ John Anthony. Bryce Gibbs and Marc Murphy arrived at Carlton at the start of their careers with big reputations but have never fully delivered on that promise and go missing too often when the heat is on. Chis Judd played a lone hand for the Blues but with two very dodgy shoulders, a bung knee and a bad groin, this old champ cannot be relied upon forever.

Last night was lambs to the slaughter and the gap that exists between the Collingwood Football Club and the rest of the competition was on show for all to see. Coaches everywhere will be scratching their heads at how they’re going to have any chance come September against this mighty unit.

Okay guys, if you made it through all that, well done! The reason I wrote it was because of my newfound belief in self fulfilling prophecies. Rather than go into my own definition, I’ve turned to wiki:

“The self-fulfilling prophecy is, in the beginning, a false definition of the situation evoking a new behaviour which makes the original false conception come 'true'. This specious validity of the self-fulfilling prophecy perpetuates a reign of error. For the prophet will cite the actual course of events as proof that he was right from the very beginning.”

It certainly can’t hurt to try! Thoughts!? Anybody want to give it a go?

Very interesting read heavy hitters.
This is exactely how i wish the collingwood side,would go into a year.
However i am hoping we do it this year and not have to wait till 2012.
By then this group will be playing for 2nd or 3rd premiership.Well here's hoping anyway.
There is nothing better than playing over afew years as the standout team of the competition,that when the pies play finals we are the dominant force..........the dynasty is not far away......Go pies.

Hey, there must have been a typo - you listed Kreuzer as a BlueBalls, but we all know he came over in 2010.

I thought t was awesome. Very funny. I liked the bit about Walkers career ending in a heavy tackle. I think this should be posted on the Carlton board. At least I would if I wasn't banned from it.

Hehe, the Carlton part is probably not too far off the truth, by 2012 Judd and Fevola will be either too old or retired, so Carlton will once again be where it belongs, down the bottom.

Going for 3 flags in a row is stretching it, at this stage I'd take one in the next 5 years, but hey, why not dream a little, or a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whose he/she? :p

You know.......Victoria?

Celebrity-Image-Victoria-Principal-228095.jpg

Bloody spelling Nazis the lot of ya....:D

It was the only real insight I had on this thread :p

It's not about insight, it's about philosophy- for example, Jeff Kennet comes out and says the Hawk want to win two premierships and get 50 000 members in the next 5 years and everyone went 'yeah right, as if'. Now however that prospect looks formidably realistic. Is this a false premonition fast turning into a real one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 18, 2012. My Self Fulfilling Prophecy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back