VFL VFL Round 18 v Richmond. Sunday July 28 10:05am @ Swinburne Centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

So did Andy Otten in his interview he mentioned they liked the look of Reef down back as he has the qualities to compete down there.
Would just add to his versatility.

I feel that Ed Allan had the game the club and supporters wanted to see from him. High disposal count, kicked goals, looked strong, got involved, and a nice spread of his disposals with 16 kicks and 16 handballs.
Easily best on ground, and this hopefully will now give him the confidence to know how well he can play the game, and see a strong finish from him this season, going into the pre-season and into the '25 season.
He continues to play at this level, then we have a very good player emerging.

Last edited:
We need to be positive and patient VP but we also need to temper our expectations

• Allan showed a lot but he he still needlessly runs into pressure / handballs forward to no one, elements that need to be removed from his game if he has any chance in the 1s
  • Ryan: I think he has the shape of the prototype running footballer - he now has some muscle on his frame. But he hasn't really achieved or shown anything yet. I am hopeful.
  • TJ is just learning the caper but his athleticism and enthusiasm is infectious (but his ball-drop is so high it has mountain goats and snow on it - something he will need to work on)
  • Haz had a break-out game, but it's his first
  • Macrae, is he VFL or AFL?
  • Ditto Reef

So, they might all become permanent fixtures in the seniors or it's possible that they may all not make that final step.

We need to look really carefully at the list and make smart decisions going forward in terms of trading and drafting to build towards sustained success.

I appreciate the comments on Allan - I would counter that with there are players in the seniors that also make basic mistakes.

For example - John Noble is the master of the old hospital handball/kick to a team mate that is about to get crunched.

So did Andy Otten in his interview he mentioned they liked the look of Reef down back as he has the qualities to compete down there.
Would just add to his versatility.
You look at Hawthorn and have likes of Sicily Hardwick and Weddle who have all shown they have the versatility to switch between defence and forward line mid game with success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the comments on Allan - I would counter that with there are players in the seniors that also make basic mistakes.

For example - John Noble is the master of the old hospital handball/kick to a team mate that is about to get crunched.
Yeah he’ll get games in the 1s
I just think if he wants to be the jet that his talent suggests, it’s these other factors that separate the good from the great

We need to be positive and patient VP but we also need to temper our expectations

• Allan showed a lot but he he still needlessly runs into pressure / handballs forward to no one, elements that need to be removed from his game if he has any chance in the 1s
  • Ryan: I think he has the shape of the prototype running footballer - he now has some muscle on his frame. But he hasn't really achieved or shown anything yet. I am hopeful.
  • TJ is just learning the caper but his athleticism and enthusiasm is infectious (but his ball-drop is so high it has mountain goats and snow on it - something he will need to work on)
  • Haz had a break-out game, but it's his first
  • Macrae, is he VFL or AFL?
  • Ditto Reef

So, they might all become permanent fixtures in the seniors or it's possible that they may all not make that final step.

We need to look really carefully at the list and make smart decisions going forward in terms of trading and drafting to build towards sustained success.
Those blind forward handballs are a team thing. Pendles does it a fair bit. Worked well for 2 years as we'd drilled our running for it, but these days teams are on to it and have blokes positioned defensively for our forward running waves.

I feel that Ed Allan had the game the club and supporters wanted to see from him. High disposal count, kicked goals, looked strong, got involved, and a nice spread of his disposals with 16 kicks and 16 handballs.
Easily best on ground, and this hopefully will now give him the confidence to know how well he can play the game, and see a strong finish from him this season, going into the pre-season and into the '25 season.
He continues to play at this level, then we have a very good player emerging.
This is promising, his stat sheet looked the goods but I didn't get to see the game. Any other insights? Really hope to start to see his testing pace appear in matches.

Those blind forward handballs are a team thing. Pendles does it a fair bit. Worked well for 2 years as we'd drilled our running for it, but these days teams are on to it and have blokes positioned defensively for our forward running waves.
Is that why our transition game turned to shit? If so, mildly hilarious it took teams 2 years to come up with the idea of placing players slightly behind play to counter it.

I can understand how our manic pressure has died off after teams started to chip-kick through our zone, when you stop getting reward for effort the effort tends to die off as a result.

This is promising, his stat sheet looked the goods but I didn't get to see the game. Any other insights? Really hope to start to see his testing pace appear in matches.
He kicked a goal from the centre square.

Is that why our transition game turned to shit? If so, mildly hilarious it took teams 2 years to come up with the idea of placing players slightly behind play to counter it.

I can understand how our manic pressure has died off after teams started to chip-kick through our zone, when you stop getting reward for effort the effort tends to die off as a result.
It's a factor, but there are different things in different phases of play. It's most teams doing what we were doing and trying to get forward run from congestion - from players starting behind the back. So some teams are burning us the way we were burning teams.

It's a factor, but there are different things in different phases of play. It's most teams doing what we were doing and trying to get forward run from congestion - from players starting behind the back. So some teams are burning us the way we were burning teams.
Can't we just burn them back again?

I'm deeply bored with our current game-style, and wish for it to be fun and exciting again.

Our running in waves with linking handballs from the back-line has also all but disappeared. Now we just bomb it to the boundary line and turn it over. Reminds me of that Einstein quote about the definition of insanity.

Can't we just burn them back again?

I'm deeply bored with our current game-style, and wish for it to be fun and exciting again.

Our running in waves with linking handballs from the back-line has also all but disappeared. Now we just bomb it to the boundary line and turn it over. Reminds me of that Einstein quote about the definition of insanity.
We were burning them by getting extra numbers there - teams match our numbers.

I think we might be a chance against the top teams we're coming up against as they'll be drilling what they want to do in finals rather than changing too much for our style.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL Round 18 v Richmond. Sunday July 28 10:05am @ Swinburne Centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back