VFL VFL Round 18 v Richmond. Sunday July 28 10:05am @ Swinburne Centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

The kids stood up given the conditions. Definitely a better performance. Now we head into the final bye (silly this late in the year)

Allan - 32 disposals, 2 goals, 8 clearances, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 17 contested
Macrae - 28 disposals, 7 tackles, 10 clearances, 5 inside 50's, 4 score involvements, 16 contested
Dean - 27 disposals, 15 marks, 13 intercepts
DeMattia - 23 disposals, 4 marks, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50's, 5 intercepts, 13 contested
Reef - 17 disposals, 4 marks, 7 intercepts
Ryan - 16 disposals, 7 marks, 5 intercepts
Eyre - 16 disposals, 6 marks, 9 intercepts, 8 contested
Frampton - 13 disposals, 7 marks, 4 intercepts
Johnson - 10 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 6 hitouts
Smit - 9 disposals, 55 hitouts, 1 goal, 5 score involvements
Jiath - 9 disposals, 7 tackles

The kids stood up given the conditions. Definitely a better performance. Now we head into the final bye (silly this late in the year)

Allan - 32 disposals, 2 goals, 8 clearances, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 17 contested
Macrae - 28 disposals, 7 tackles, 10 clearances, 5 inside 50's, 4 score involvements, 16 contested
DeMattia - 23 disposals, 4 marks, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50's, 5 intercepts, 13 contested

If it is a bye then surely you play Allan this week in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when they finally win a game, they get a bye 🙄

Jen2310 How did Reef go today? Did he play in defence?

Do we know what Ed got up to last week when he was completely forgotten? Whatever it was, he/we need to do that more often.
No idea about Ed. It's as if it didn't even happen lol

Reef did very well, yup played defence and then they swung him forward in the last Q given he wasnt seeing the ball much.

Some really encouraging numbers there.

Encouraging to read about the improved performances of some of the kids. And a win against a much better team, at their home ground.

But I could have sworn that we had no depth, no youthful talent, none of the kids show anything, and don’t forget to sack Hine while we’re at it, blah, blah, blah.

Ok, the extent of our depth is still being tested and determined, but we need patience with the young and inexperienced players on our list. A run of poor games is not the end of the world in your first or second year, but an often inevitable part of player development.

Richmond have a stack of injuries and even Pickett and Rioli played limited minutes yesterday
So a few caveats on our performance, but for me watching live it was more about the long term promise of some of our kids
Eg I really liked the Josh Eyre game- his stats sheet might not jump off the page immediately but his ability and courage to impact aerially was superb and as we know his kicking is elite. A young Darcy Moore type that I wouldn’t mind having a look at this year if his body is ready

Encouraging to read about the improved performances of some of the kids. And a win against a much better team, at their home ground.

But I could have sworn that we had no depth, no youthful talent, none of the kids show anything, and don’t forget to sack Hine while we’re at it, blah, blah, blah.

Ok, the extent of our depth is still being tested and determined, but we need patience with the young and inexperienced players on our list. A run of poor games is not the end of the world in your first or second year, but an often inevitable part of player development.
We need to be positive and patient VP but we also need to temper our expectations

• Allan showed a lot but he he still needlessly runs into pressure / handballs forward to no one, elements that need to be removed from his game if he has any chance in the 1s
  • Ryan: I think he has the shape of the prototype running footballer - he now has some muscle on his frame. But he hasn't really achieved or shown anything yet. I am hopeful.
  • TJ is just learning the caper but his athleticism and enthusiasm is infectious (but his ball-drop is so high it has mountain goats and snow on it - something he will need to work on)
  • Haz had a break-out game, but it's his first
  • Macrae, is he VFL or AFL?
  • Ditto Reef

So, they might all become permanent fixtures in the seniors or it's possible that they may all not make that final step.

We need to look really carefully at the list and make smart decisions going forward in terms of trading and drafting to build towards sustained success.

We need to be positive and patient VP but we also need to temper our expectations

• Allan showed a lot but he he still needlessly runs into pressure / handballs forward to no one, elements that need to be removed from his game if he has any chance in the 1s
  • Ryan: I think he has the shape of the prototype running footballer - he now has some muscle on his frame. But he hasn't really achieved or shown anything yet. I am hopeful.
  • TJ is just learning the caper but his athleticism and enthusiasm is infectious (but his ball-drop is so high it has mountain goats and snow on it - something he will need to work on)
  • Haz had a break-out game, but it's his first
  • Macrae, is he VFL or AFL?
  • Ditto Reef

So, they might all become permanent fixtures in the seniors or it's possible that they may all not make that final step.

We need to look really carefully at the list and make smart decisions going forward in terms of trading and drafting to build towards sustained success.

Thanks SchuPie

I generally agree with this, although I deliberately referenced only first and second year players in my post - those are the kids for which I urge patience.

They don’t include Macrae and Reef. I’ve run out of patience with those two. So I can be included with the negative posters in their case.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL Round 18 v Richmond. Sunday July 28 10:05am @ Swinburne Centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back