Preview Round 18, 2021: Hawks v Dees, MCG 7:25pm Sat'd 17th July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So many talls yet none of the ins are any good at marking above their head*.

Long, high kicks down the line to hopefully slow the game down and turn it into an ugly, stoppage-based, dour game to stop a blowout.

Boy... I'm excited.

*Reeves may well be, but it too early to tell
For ****s sake give it a rest.

A Bottom 2 side plays a top of the ladder side who most likely due to their structure and set-up will force them to go long down the line.

Don't see why Jeka, Kosi, Lewis in the one side is out of the realms of possibility of working. I don't think it's going to work in this particular game given our midfield is likely to get smashed which means there will be little to no quality delivery to the forward line. But in the future it could if Lewis can fill the David Hale forward/ruck role.

Jeka and Kosi to take the two key posts. Lewis forward/ruck. Reeves main ruck. 3rd tall could even be Sicily given our backline (when fit) is strong without him there.

We could easily roll into 2022 with this:

R: Reeves
HF: Breust Jeka Wingard
FF: Lewis Kosi Sicily
Int: Brockman

Which mirrors (for roles/formation - not ability/potential) what we had in 2013:

R: Bailey
HF: Breust Buddy Rioli
FF: Hale Roughy Gunston
Int: Puopolo

Try not to get too bogged down in the gulf in talent and which names match up with which name. One line up is mostly the youth of a team that currently sits 17th and the other is from a premiership year where we only lost a handful of games.

The point is that height won't be the reason it doesn't work.

No-one needs this ****ing game on prime-time...

Lockdown just got a whole lot bloody worse for football fans.

I wonder whether this is a message to other clubs interested in his services or to Mitch himself.

Either way I like the sentiment and maybe Clarko is looking to play out the year with those three plus one ruck after this game, with an opportunity for Reeves to prove himself?
I like the sentiment too. Just don’t understand why we have brought in TOB when we also have two genuine rucks and three talls down back.

Game plan:
1. look for Max Gawn
2. Kick it somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very impressive set up, Crytor that could definitely work..
Int: Brockman/ Saunders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder whether this is a message to other clubs interested in his services or to Mitch himself.

Either way I like the sentiment and maybe Clarko is looking to play out the year with those three plus one ruck after this game, with an opportunity for Reeves to prove himself?
Perhaps there will be a late out & it'll occur this game (McEvoy out, Reeves + TO'B/Lewis to ruck)?

Less fun... but didn't someone post that Kosi didn't finish the game last week - perhaps he's a late out?

Last edited:
Don't see why Jeka, Kosi, Lewis in the one side is out of the realms of possibility of working. I don't think it's going to work in this particular game given our midfield is likely to get smashed which means there will be little to no quality delivery to the forward line. But in the future it could if Lewis can fill the David Hale forward/ruck role.

Jeka and Kosi to take the two key posts. Lewis forward/ruck. Reeves main ruck. 3rd tall could even be Sicily given our backline (when fit) is strong without him there.

We could easily roll into 2022 with this:

Int: Brockman

Which mirrors (for roles/formation - not ability/potential) what we had in 2013:

R: Bailey
HF: Breust Buddy Rioli
FF: Hale Roughy Gunston
Int: Puopolo

Try not to get too bogged down in the gulf in talent and which names match up with which name. One line up is mostly the youth of a team that currently sits 17th and the other is from a premiership year where we only lost a handful of games.

The point is that height won't be the reason it doesn't work.
Our forward line had then worked almost in spite of the structure we had. Buddy and Roughy were as good as it gets with the ball on the ground. And Cyril, Breust and poppy as a trio provided the most forward defensive pressure ever. I can’t see anyway we can copy this with our current players it’s not a sustainable structure.

Worth remembering our forward line functioned better post buddy. With only roughy and Gunston the talls plus the resting ruckman.

In what way shape or form does it do that?
All it is is a matrix of numbers, no detail, or relevance attributed.
WHAT? It is literally a cut section of a game's stats. All four names are listed... they played a game together... Maybe I should type this slower.

Our forward line had then worked almost in spite of the structure we had. Buddy and Roughy were as good as it gets with the ball on the ground. And Cyril, Breust and poppy as a trio provided the most forward defensive pressure ever. I can’t see anyway we can copy this with our current players it’s not a sustainable structure.

Worth remembering our forward line functioned better post buddy. With only roughy and Gunston the talls plus the resting ruckman.
It worked mostly because they were all talented players that had years learning to play a system together and were given first rate delivery from a midfield that batted very deep.

These guys have barely played together and they won't be getting good delivery. As I said, I don't expect this to work in this particular game. I fully expect to see them barely get 12 disposals, a couple marks and a goal between the 3 of them.

But we're 17th and there's unlikely any forward line combination fit and available to us this week that can kick us a winning score without Melbourne completely capitulating. We might as well roll the dice and see what can be learned. Even if they're not going to get on to the end of much the coaches will still be able to see if they're getting in each others way or not, or how well they can all defend when the ball is being rebounded out.

It worked mostly because they were all talented players that had years learning to play a system together and were given first rate delivery from a midfield that batted very deep.

These guys have barely played together and they won't be getting good delivery. As I said, I don't expect this to work in this particular game. I fully expect to see them barely get 12 disposals, a couple marks and a goal between the 3 of them.

But we're 17th and there's unlikely any forward line combination fit and available to us this week that can kick us a winning score without Melbourne completely capitulating. We might as well roll the dice and see what can be learned. Even if they're not going to get on to the end of much the coaches will still be able to see if they're getting in each others way or not, or how well they can all defend when the ball is being rebounded out.
I don’t think you can ignore the difference at ground level between Gunston, buddy and roughy compared with Lewis, Kosi and jeka. Tob is better than all of them so maybe we have named him as a small forward. 🤷‍♂️

The quality of players out can’t be underestimated. We’re essentially missing speed and skill on the flanks across the entire field. We are missing our best players on every line.

Scrimshaw is close to leading our best & fairest, Jiath arguably the most improved. It’s disappointing that we won’t get to see them anymore this season.

One positive I guess is that Grainger-Barras, Reeves, Jeka and Brockman all get some games under their belt over the next six weeks. Reeves has been making great progress in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back